Defensive Carry banner

New BCM 14.5" upper

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MotorCityGun 
#1 · (Edited)
An awesome friend of ours has helped with the PayPal situation! Now this topic is about the upper.

Here's the upper built by Neil at Gun Gallery, my new go-to guy for all things AR - 14.5" mid length BCM chf barrel with a flat dark earth 12.25" RIS II from Daniel Defense. This rifle will basically be a 14.5" version of my mk18 (10.5" with the 9.5" RIS II).

It will sit on a Noveske lower with a Vltor A5 receiver extension. BUIS will be KAC folding front and rear folding 200-600. It'll wear an ACOG occasionally and a T1 with a twist mount for the 3x magnifier the majority of the time. The 3x will spend little time on the rifle, but I like having the option. It will have a CTR stock for now, but I may throw the SOPMOD on there. The grip is a black BG17 from Tango Down and the vert grip is a fde stubby standard mount from Tango Down. It will have fde ladder style cover instead of the KAC I use on other rails, the ladders just work better for me on the RIS II and being as think as the rail is, it's actually thinner than my KAC rails with KAC rail covers. It will have a fde Surefire mini Scout light in a standard mount (I'm moving away from offset mounts) with either the SR07 12 o'clock mounted pressure switch or the standard pressure switch between the 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock rails. Eventually it will have a PEQ 15, but for now I just borrow one when night hunting or running low light drills.

Oh, it has the slightly extended A2x flash hider with the hole and pin for permanent attachment. I had him leave it unpinned since my Noveske lower is SBR'd. I will pin it eventually, but will most likely wait until my Surefire 212 suppressor comes in and I mount the Surefire 212 flash hider. It will also have a BCM Mod 4 (medium) charging handle, though i may switch all of my uppers out to the Mod 3 or 5, whichever is the smallest one. It doesn't protrude like the medium and large, but it works the same way as the larger ones. It will have a KAC M16 carrier with a BCM bolt as well. I run Vickers/Blue Force Gear VCAS slings. This one will have one attached via the Daniel Defense rail mount QD attachment point. I have three standard VCAS slings (coyote, foliage green and ACU) and one black padded version. I like the standard a little better for my needs, and I'll most likely use the coyote or ACU on this rifle. For some silly reason though, I really want to pick up a Multicam VCAS.

That's all I can think of for now. Eventually this rifle will get hit with Krylon or Aervoe, but that'll be a while since I like the FDE rail as it is.

I will give a thorough range report next week and post some better pics as well.

See less See more
#2 ·
I forgot to mention that the upper receiver itself is a Noveske! He had complete Daniel Defense 14.5" uppers with the RIS II in stock there, but this is what I wanted. Since it's going on a Noveske lower, I figured I'd go with the stripped Noveske upper which is about $40 more than a BCM…which he didn't have anyway, so it was an easy decision.

It's little brother is an LMT 10.5" upper with the mk18 RIS II, KAC and Matech (which I really like and they're $100 less than the KAC 200-600 rear) folding sights and other things similar.

Here's the little one.

How it is now except that I have the BG17 grip on it and the rail covers weren't on for the pic.

How it was for a while, but swapped out the grip, Surefire mount and the KAC Triple Tap brake for an A2 for now. The A2 will be replaced by the Surefire 212 flash hider as well when the Surefire can is here. With backorder and then paperwork I don't expect to have it for at least 5 or 6 months.

#3 ·
nice!! good parts, well put together...so I guess you like those KAC sights? Pure back-up? DO they lock in positions? Do they "flick" with recoil pulse? mainly the rear one is my focus

reason why the questions is I'm getting a PSA "mock" dissapaitor upper and was looking into different sight

#4 ·
I run them up when I'm using an Aimpoint without the magnifier. Otherwise I have them down. I used the Troys for a while and I have the MaTech on my mk18, which I really like but it just isn't the most durable. The KAC rear sights are really nice. One thing to keep in mind is there's only the smaller aperture in the 200-600 and then there's a little plug in the 300mm rear sight.

I stay away from the micros. I've seen a couple where if you flip it up and down a couple times, it can actually turn the windage knob and move the sight, though it's a small movement. The 200-600 rear securely snicks into place nicely but there's no lock, which I prefer. If it takes a hit, it can fold down instead of breaking or snagging on something. This is how I broke my URX II's integrated front sight. If it didn't lock in place, it may not have broke.

I prefer the KAC sights due to their low profile and clean sight picture. There's absolutely no movement with recoil and I ran the rear on a 7.62 for a few days. If you've ever handled a SCAR, the rear sight that comes on it is comparable to the KAC 200-600, but not as nice. The one on the SCAR has both apertures, but still pretty similar in the way it feel and how it's designed.

#6 ·
we have our own complete language, don't we? That must all seem like code to non-AR people
Yep. My thoughts exactly. I don't know the code, don't have a M4 / AR and don't know if I can master the language to qualify. :blink:

black BG17 from Tango Down and the vert grip is a fde stubby standard mount from Tango Down.........fde ladder style cover instead of the KAC I............ladders just work better for me on the RIS II
I'm just teasing. I wish you were close and I'd hang around and learn something. Yep.

Still fun to look at and fun to read. :banana:

#7 ·
Very nice gun you have there !!!!

I just bought my first AR and i have no clue about the language right now but i'll learn it lol. Again, nice weapon you have there.

#8 ·
Thanks guys. This happened a while back on this forum too about the language, so I made a long post with all kinds of translations... Post what doesn't make sense and I'll clear it up. Sorry about that, it has become second nature to me. My wife looks at me like I'm a teenage girl!

#10 ·
Thanks guys. This happened a while back on this forum too about the language, so I made a long post with all kinds of translations... Post what doesn't make sense and I'll clear it up. Sorry about that, it has become second nature to me. My wife looks at me like I'm a teenage girl!
If/When your buddies start doing the same, it's time to show them your new toy! :image035:

#9 ·
Ok, the upper came in yesterday. This is going to be a great shooter. So far I've only put 56 rounds through it last night, but I'll ring it out a bit this week or weekend some time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.