Need Gun Cabinet for rifles and shotguns

This is a discussion on Need Gun Cabinet for rifles and shotguns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for something lower priced that I can store my rifles and shotgun in. I do realize that for the price range I ...

Thread: Need Gun Cabinet for rifles and shotguns

Need Gun Cabinet for rifles and shotguns

I am looking for something lower priced that I can store my rifles and shotgun in. I do realize that for the price range I am looking in, it will be more of a gun storage cabinet than an actual safe that will keep out thieves. I just need it big enough to fit 5-10 longguns. I don't need it fire proof but that would be a plus. Max I will spend is $400.

If found this one on amazon for $179. It appears to be a step up from the green stack on cabinets which look like a 5 year old can break into.

Amazon.com: SentrySafe G0135 Black Safe 5 Long Gun Maximum Capacity Safe, 3.5 Cubic Feet, Black: Home Improvement

Stack on that seems to be the lowest of the low end cabinets. This one I do not want to buy. Stack-On Ready To Assemble Security Cabinet 8-Gun Green - MidwayUSA

Any other suggestions on what and where to buy a gun cabinet?

Please no lecturing about "if you can afford to buy guns, you should be able to afford to buy a high quality safe"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Stack-On makes some real gun safes - not the same as their well known gun cabinets. The lower capacity models may fit in your price range.

Here's an option:

Cheap Used Metal Lockers for Sale, Locker Specials | Lightning Lockers, and

School Lockers | Your source for School , Gym, and Metal Storage Lockers and more

Also try to find lockers locally. As you note, these are not "safes", but they can be secured to keep out anyone without tools, as well as small kids and the idle curious.

No lectures from me about the "Ben Brothers" (could have been, would have been, or should have been), but I would not call them a gun cabinet...call them an expensive carrying case.

Here is a great site...search through it all...tons of info on safes... Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Richard, I got an old set of uniform lockers that I use to keep my ammo and other stuff locked in, but I keep that in a locked room also. I know they are not all that secure (basicly it is only going to keep honest people honest), but by keeping your gun cabinet in a secured room you have triple protection. Your doors and windows of your house, then the door to your secure room must be opened and finally the cabinet. Not burgler proof, but for a poor man, it will make them work a little longer and harder at getting to your valuables.

Dont forget to check your local Iwannta. See them in there all the time.

This might be a long shot, but call any local moving and storage companies and ask if they have any used safes for sale. Safes are heavy and expensive to transport, so they often get left behind when a household moves a significant distance. One of my hunting buddies got an enormous safe (the type a land office might use - double doors, table height, roll-out drawers) for not much more than the cost of moving it to his garage, maybe $200 or so. This monster holds about 50 long guns. You might just luck out, so let your fingers do the walking!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Check on Amazon, there are 4 or 5 within your price range. I have delt with them for other items and have gotten good service. And they have free shipping on a lot of the safe's.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Stack-on has a 10 gun safe for about $300 at Academy

Yeah, at Academy is cheaper, but i think if have a gun safe at home, it maybe better used in an emergency. When you need it, just open, aim, shoot or warn.

Links