AR-15 Nooby questions ????

This is a discussion on AR-15 Nooby questions ???? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sounds like you've got some good local training. If you ever want something different though Tiger McKee is close by at Shootrite in Langston....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: AR-15 Nooby questions ????

Sounds like you've got some good local training. If you ever want something different though Tiger McKee is close by at Shootrite in Langston.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

2. Remove Ads

Yes, but only handled it. I like the idea, but even when sweaty I don't have a problem with the grip like I do a pistol.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaShide View Post
    I fully understand what you are saying here. So far the only thing i see that needs replacing ASAP is that A2 grip. After about 250 rounds the hand gets a little sore from the arthritis and i think a good grip will help improve that. I looked at all the links provided here and i think i am going to give one of those Hogue over molded grips a try. The rail system yeah i can wait on that. It i just something i would like to see happen someday. And, yes part of it was just wanting that tactical dripping with goodies look you see everywhere lol.

Right now i am training with it regularly. We don't have a training course here in town or close that is open to the public so i have been going to the range every Saturday. It belongs to the Fort Payne city police and is only open to the public on Saturdays. The guy i am working with Sgt. Ron McSomething ? can't pronounce or spell that name lol, anyways he is the officer in charge of training all the city and county police to use assault weapons which are mainly the S&W MP15's only difference it theirs are an earlier model and have the dust guards i believe. He has shown me everything from cleaning the gun properly to practical shooting. I can now pack a full clip into a tight pattern varying from 50 yards out to 150 yards. This coming weekend we will be working at 200 yards.

The guy is pretty good with an AR. The only thing i don't like about shooting with him is the rest of the idiots shooting at the range. They are constantly shooting across lanes and trying to hit YOUR target cause they are to lazy to call for safety and go reset their own target at a different distance. It is vary hard to sight in a gun when you have more than one guy popping your targets. Ron runs those folks out as soon as he sees them doing it or any other misbehaving. It just seems like an up hill battle for him down there. I fear if people keep it up they will close the range to the public.
    Big difference between shooting and training.

BIG difference.
    jonconsiglio likes this.

A1 - A2 - MIAD w/ different backstraps - MOE

Modded A2 w/ stippled front - I use an Ergo "gapper" when using an A1 or A2 on my ARs

Tango Down BG-17 - Notice the piece that extends to the trigger guard

QKShooter likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I've had one Ergo that came on an LMT. After a few weeks the bottom plug kept coming out and then the molding started to shred. This is partly why I'm not too excited about the MOE+ and I don't care for the Hogue.

I think if anyone really wants a rubber over mold, it would be my suggestion to get the grip that fits your hand best then just use a piece of inner tube. That way when it starts to shred you can easily replace it. I still prefer a touch of stippling to any rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Big difference between shooting and training.

BIG difference.
    Very true. So many think hitting the range without ever attending real training is good enough. I found out the hard way that all that does is instill the bad habits you don't even know you have. Now, almost every sinlge time I'm at the range I'm working on some kind of drill meant to improve my ability as a shooter. I see this with the guys I train all the time. They tell me how often they shoot, then everything they do is so backwards, we take half a day trying to relearn everything they thought they knew.

It's very common with military and LE guys as they have a little bit of basic training and then years of bad habits they picked up afterwards. This isn't an insult, just something I've seen as have many others. The good shooters almost always sought training on their one time.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; October 7th, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
    Skygod likes this.

Does anyone know where they give .223 ammo away to the needy ???? lol
    I hear if you're Al Quida in Afghanistan, 5.56 are yours for the asking...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The Magpul MOE+ looks pretty good but its not really what i am looking for. I would like to have something with the spaces molded into them for the fingers. The A2 grip ( i believe thats the name for the factory grip) has a finger placement molded into it for the index finger but with my hands in the shape they are in feels like someone hitting the knuckle joint in the index finger with a hammer every time i squeeze the trigger. of course it is made of hard plastic. I am thinking the rubber grip may ease that pain a little. No matter what though i flat out refuse to let arthritis take rule over the fun i have shooting this gun ! Worst comes to worst and ill dip that sucker in that rubberized truck bed liner lol jk
    Firearms - A passion you can really enjoy, and if ya keep your head up outta your butt you can enjoy it for many years to come - Will (Red Jacket Firearms)

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I don't doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Hell, for Al Quida ill even spare what i have stocked up. Well the lead part anyways, they can dig those outta the people i send to meet Alla and their 72 virgins and learn to reload lol
    Firearms - A passion you can really enjoy, and if ya keep your head up outta your butt you can enjoy it for many years to come - Will (Red Jacket Firearms)

Bubba, before you make any purchases, maybe try to check out a local gun show in your area-even if you have to drive an hour or two. Most good sized shows will have all the things you are looking for and allow you to touch and feel them before you buy there or somewhere else. Just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    Bubba, before you make any purchases, maybe try to check out a local gun show in your area-even if you have to drive an hour or two. Most good sized shows will have all the things you are looking for and allow you to touch and feel them before you buy there or somewhere else. Just an idea.
    Yeah that does sound like a better idea. We have a gun show here in town twice a year so i may just wait till that comes around again before i do anything. I might even see some different configurations there that would better suit what i am wanting to do with my gun. Buying stuff from a website or magazine is always a pain in the behind anyways cause you dunno what your getting till it gets to your door and most times they wont take the stuff back or make returns such a pain you just give up.

Thanks for the idea, i think it would be best if i done that. Till then i can just limit my range time to a couple hundred rounds at a time or less lol. Ill take the hand pain in trade for the fun any day !!!

Hey all,

I just bought a new Smith & Wesson M&P15 .223/5.56 and i feel it is a good entry level gun to the AR world.
    Mine is the sport model i believe and it came with just basic furniture 6 position adjustable stock and just a smooth plastic fore grip.

Bubba
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    I'm an AR Noob with the exact same rifle with which I'm very pleased.
    I want to purchase my first AR and have been looking at the S&W M&P 15 sport and the Rock River LAR-15 CARA4. The S&W is $300 cheaper than the RR. What I'm not clear on is does the S&W handle the 223 or just the 5.56? The RR clearly states .223/5.56 NATO chamber while the S&W states 5.56 NATO. Does the NATO allow the S&W to use/fire the .223?

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I want to purchase my first AR and have been looking at the S&W M&P 15 sport and the Rock River LAR-15 CARA4. The S&W is $300 cheaper than the RR. What I'm not clear on is does the S&W handle the 223 or just the 5.56? The RR clearly states .223/5.56 NATO chamber while the S&W states 5.56 NATO. Does the NATO allow the S&W to use/fire the .223?

Mike
    The smith & wesson m&p15 comes in two variations that i know of in caliber. One is the standard M&P15 which handles BOTH .223 and 5.56 NATO. It is stamped 5.56 but says it will safely handle both cartridges. I have had mine now for a little over a month and shot both rounds through it but the only differences i see in the two is the 5.56 hits a little harder than the .223 and of the two .223 for me has been the cheapest to shoot coming in at around 4 bucks for a box of 20 rounds made by PMC. They do fowl up the gun a little though. I have looked at several AR-15's on the net and how they look and feel inside. They are practically the same gun and just about any AR accessories will fit it with the exception of the trigger guard that is permanently mounted. It is (on the sport model at least) an over sized trigger guard to help fit bigger hands and gloves.

The second caliber variation is the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22. it is basically the same gun only made to fire .22 rimfire ammo. I am not sure though if it is specifically made for use with the rimfire .22 cartridge or if they just install a change over kit in the factory.

I know the .223/5.56 are very good guns for a entry level AR-15 and can be modded to look and feel just like some of the more expensive makers and models. Mine has been nothing but reliable and a lot of people knock the M&P15 cause S&W removed the forward assist and dust cover to make manufacturing cheaper so the gun could be offered at a lower cost to the consumer. Myself i really see no need to add them. I am not fighting in Iraq where its is dusty and sandy so the gun operates very smoothly every time i squeeze the trigger. I've put over 1000 rounds down range now and i have no complaints at all. I gave $708.00 for mine brand new in the box with a 30rd mag a gun lock and the book. Brand new gun straight from the dealer and out the door tax and all. I have noticed that online they go for more like $1000ish so i would check local dealers first and if they dont stock them see if they can order you one if it is the gun you choose to buy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links