AR-15 Nooby questions ????

This is a discussion on AR-15 Nooby questions ???? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, I just bought a new Smith & Wesson M&P15 .223/5.56 and i feel it is a good entry level gun to the AR ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: AR-15 Nooby questions ????

Hey all,

I just bought a new Smith & Wesson M&P15 .223/5.56 and i feel it is a good entry level gun to the AR world.
    Mine is the sport model i believe and it came with just basic furniture 6 position adjustable stock and just a smooth plastic fore grip.
    It has the mounting rail on top rather than the carry handle which i like.

The first thing i would like to do to it is find a better pistol grip. I have severe arthritis in my hands so i would like to find something a little more comfortable than the hard plastic one that came with the gun. I know you can get rubberized grips for pistols but not sure about AR's.

Then i would like to add a rail system to replace the fore grip so i can mount a light and possibly a laser site.

The last thing i would like to do is add a scope of some sort. I need something small that does not look stupid on the gun but has a lot of power.
    I am not a big fan of the illuminated scopes and i think they are even illegal here.
    I need a scope with some adjustable magnification though because this gun is also gonna be used for hunting.

If any of you have an idea of a good setup for me let me know. I have googled this stuff and found a lot of good looking parts, but i am not sure if they will interchange with the S&W. I would like to have some other stuff as well like mags and dust covers and such. If any of you know a "one stop shop" that would be great if you could post the link.

Thanks for all the help !!!

Bubba
    Firearms - A passion you can really enjoy, and if ya keep your head up outta your butt you can enjoy it for many years to come - Will (Red Jacket Firearms)

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    First try BravoCompanyUSA.com

As for the parts you're looking for there are near infinite options. I think Hogue makes a rubberized grip for AR-15s and there might be one or two others that make rubberized pistol grips. The M&P15 Sport as you know doesn't come with a dust cover and the average shooter really doesn't need one and I don't know if you can even put one on the M&P15 Sport. I I usually go to the above website for AR-15 accessories as they have pretty good prices, quality merchandise, and extremely fast shipping. In most cases you get what you pay for so if you want quality, you're going to pay a little more than the cheap stuff. It really comes down to what you want to do and what your budget is. Optics definitely vary in price and quality from 150 all the way to 800+ dollars.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Thanks ! Ill give bravocompany.com a try. Like i said i have googled it and found a lot of stuff but i have never bought anything important for guns off the internet and it is just hard to trust just any ole website. Your right the sport has no dust cover and also has no forward assist. I am pretty sure you can't add the dust cover but i really don't see me needing one. No forward assist isn't to big a deal either you just have to revert back to the ways they done it before the assist was added, wasn't it prior to the M4 ?

I really like the gun myself and it does everything i ask it to do. For the price you can't really get a better gun unless you get lucky and get a really good deal on a used one. I will check that site out though and maybe ill find what im looking for.

Does anyone know where they give .223 ammo away to the needy ???? lol
    Firearms - A passion you can really enjoy, and if ya keep your head up outta your butt you can enjoy it for many years to come - Will (Red Jacket Firearms)

VIP Member
    I ran a Hogue rubberized grip for years on an AR and liked it. I literally is the same grip I had on K frame S&W.

You can also look at Magpul MIAD grips. As stated Bravo company has a lot of good stuff. Optics are all up to your wallet.

Good luck
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

AR-15 Handguard Quad Rail 16" New Target Sports
    Check out that link,the one in the link is the least expensive,they have 2 others available,I would call the customer service rep about their pistol grips and any questions about their quad rails.
    I have a Burris 3x9 scope on one of my AR's,IIRC it was around $200.00,on my 20" Match rifle I have aTasco 6x24 cost under $100.00,holds a zero and even tho the glass isn't as crisp as my leupold it will put a bullet where you want it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaShide View Post
    Does anyone know where they give .223 ammo away to the needy ???? lol
    Yes ! The United States Army, Marine Corps, United States Navy, United States Airforce and Coast Guard. (insert evil grin)

If I'm not mistaken the forward assist was added during the VN War and was the M16A1 or XM15E3. Prior to that it was just the M16. The U.S. Army requested the forward assist.

Hogue and Ergo both make rubberized grips for the AR15 rifle. I like the Ergo but the Hogue is just as nice. There are a couple of models by both manufacturers available.

Here are just one of each from Midway.

Hogue: Hogue OverMolded Pistol Grip AR-15 Rubber - MidwayUSA

Ergo : Falcon Industries ERGO Tactical Deluxe Sure Grip Pistol Grip AR-15 Ovemolded Rubber - MidwayUSA
    Last edited by Skygod; October 7th, 2011 at 07:28 AM.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

sgb
    Magpul MOE Furniture, the MOE hand guards easily accepts a rail mount for a flashlight. If you're set on a free float rail go Daniel Defense.

As to a sturdy optic that won't brake the bank look at the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20
    or the Nikon M223 1-4x20

I went with the Leupold.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'm an AR Noob with the exact same rifle with which I'm very pleased.

I haven't made any modifications, but I did send away for the AR-15 catalog from here... Brownells Search : Shooting Accessories : Brownells Gear : Brownells Catalogs - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS . It's free and came the other day....tons of stuff in there.

Enjoy your new weapon!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Pleas at least take a look at the MagPul MIAD Grip, I just got it for my S&W MP15 a few weeks ago and am in love with it. It also has a storage core inside. - MIAD® Grip Kit – AR15/M16

I got this quad rail system for mine for only $60, mainly because I trust the reviews on cheaper than dirt, and everyone was praising this rail system. I have been more than please with it. ARR-238 - AR-15 M4 Carbine Quad Rail Black UTG Pro Mil-Spec Forearm Replaces Original Handguards 6.7"

As far as magazines go, buy MagPul PMags and you will never look back!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Sponsor
    PLEASE FORGET UTG FURNITURE. Complete junk made for air soft and it will not stand up to real use.

+1 for MagPul. They are doing the MOE+ pistol grips now also which are rubberized. The MOE fore grips are probably going to be the most economical and are versatile enough for most applications. You will pay much more for a quality free float fore end than I would want to put into the Sport model.
    jonconsiglio likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaShide View Post
    Hey all,

I just bought a new Smith & Wesson M&P15 .223/5.56 and i feel it is a good entry level gun to the AR world. Mine is the sport model i believe and it came with just basic furniture 6 position adjustable stock and just a smooth plastic fore grip. Has the mounting rail on top rather than the carry handle which i like.

The first thing i would like to do to it is find a better pistol grip. I have severe arthritis in my hands so i would like to find something a little more comfortable than the hard plastic one that came with the gun. I know you can get rubberized grips for pistols but not sure about AR's.

Then i would like to add a rail system to replace the fore grip so i can mount a light and possibly a laser site.

The last thing i would like to do is add a scope of some sort. I need something small that don't look stupid on the gun but has a lot of power. I am not a big fan of the illuminated scopes and i think they are even illegal here. I need a scope with some adjustable magnification though cause this gun is also gonna be used for hunting.

If any of you have an idea of a good setup for me let me know. I have googled this stuff and found a lot of good looking parts, but i am not sure if they will interchange with the S&W. I would like to have some other stuff as well like mags and dust covers and such. If any of you know a "one stop shop" that would be great if you could post the link.

Thanks for all the help !!!

Bubba
    Why don't you save the money you'd spend on accessories you may not even need or have a use for, get a good set of sling mounts, a comfortable, usable sling, a bunch of mags, a .22lr conversion bolt and some .22lr mags, then run the hell out of the gun in classes shooting yours and borrowing other people's gun, till you have an idea of how you really want to set yours up?

When I took a class at SIG in August, I wasn't all that sold on Red Dots...till I tried some guns with them.

I thought I liked short barrel guns...Now, not so much.

You have a good gun - now run it till it's your...bad word...and try other people's to determine what you like and what you don't.

If I was buying a rifle just for the occasional range trip or was new to ARs, I would leave it pretty stock, but would replace the grip with a Tango Down, A1, or Magpul MOE. I would think about replacing the handguard with a Magpul MOE for the ease of attaching rail sections. It would be fine to stick with the Magpul handguard, but I since I prefer rails I would change out to one when I was ready. I would NEVER buy a cheap rail and would stick to Daniel Defense, Centurion or maybe LaRue. My preference is the Daniel Defense RIS II in flat dark earth. I would stick with the Magpul MOE or stock handguard before I ever bought a cheap handguard like a UTG or Midwest Industries. MI makes OK stuff, but I'd rather buy better or nothing.

Centurion MSRP's for about $320 or so, but there's a shop that sells them for about $225.

I would add a light, in this case just a Surefire G2 and a Gear Sector or similar mount and stick with irons or an Aimpoint…for my needs…and i'd recommend a PRO or similar as your first since it's about $300 cheaper than a T1.

There is no optic that is illegal. Even IR lasers, though not sold to civilians as they can cause permanent blindness, are not illegal to own. Class 3 IR lasers can be sold to civilians. I prefer an Aimpoint for my general use rifles and a twit mount so I can add my 3x Aimpoint magnifier when I need magnification. I have variable optics from S&B (sold a Nightforce and may buy another 1-4 or an Elcan Specter DR 1x/4x) and a 4x32 ACOG.

Stick with basics. Buy quality only or don't buy it for now. I'm NOT saying you need the best, I'm just saying you DON'T need junk. It's a process, don't jump in all at once. Get to a good training class, even if you're an expert with every other weapon in existence, and work on becoming the best you can with what you have. I suggest an optic, a grip change if the A2 bothers you, a sling like those from VCAS and a good Surefire light if there's any chance of using it for home defense or any night shooting or hunting. Everything else like the railed handguards (so you don't buy the wrong one and assure the length you need - I prefer 12" in length if the barrel permits), vert grips, muzzle devices, rail covers, stock changes, etc, can be determined as you go and become a better shooter. Once you get to a certain point, you'll realize the direction you want to go, which will determine the gear you need at that point to fine tune your shooting, not to be relied on or to add just because you think it might be better. Trust me on this, it's the better way to do it.

Other than that, learn the fundamentals CORRECTLY, then get out there and have some fun running drills, talking classes, competing or just shooting piles of dirt. Most importantly, buy only what YOU need and enjoy the process as once it starts, you just have to hang on as there's not much you can do to stop it.
    WonderBra likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    If I was buying a rifle just for the occasional range trip or was new to ARs, I would leave it pretty stock, but would replace the grip with a Tango Down, A1, or Magpul MOE. I would think about replacing the handguard with a Magpul MOE for the ease of attaching rail sections. It would be fine to stick with the Magpul handguard, but I since I prefer rails I would change out to one when I was ready. I would NEVER buy a cheap rail and would stick to Daniel Defense, Centurion or maybe LaRue. My preference is the Daniel Defense RIS II in flat dark earth. I would stick with the Magpul MOE or stock handguard before I ever bought a cheap handguard like a UTG or Midwest Industries. MI makes OK stuff, but I'd rather buy better or nothing.

Centurion MSRP's for about $320 or so, but there's a shop that sells them for about $225.

I would add a light, in this case just a Surefire G2 and a Gear Sector or similar mount and stick with irons or an Aimpoint…for my needs…and i'd recommend a PRO or similar as your first since it's about $300 cheaper than a T1.

There is no optic that is illegal. Even IR lasers, though not sold to civilians as they can cause permanent blindness, are not illegal to own. Class 3 IR lasers can be sold to civilians. I prefer an Aimpoint for my general use rifles and a twit mount so I can add my 3x Aimpoint magnifier when I need magnification. I have variable optics from S&B (sold a Nightforce and may buy another 1-4 or an Elcan Specter DR 1x/4x) and a 4x32 ACOG.

Stick with basics. Buy quality only or don't buy it for now. I'm NOT saying you need the best, I'm just saying you DON'T need junk. It's a process, don't jump in all at once. Get to a good training class, even if you're an expert with every other weapon in existence, and work on becoming the best you can with what you have. I suggest an optic, a grip change if the A2 bothers you, a sling like those from VCAS and a good Surefire light if there's any chance of using it for home defense or any night shooting or hunting. Everything else like the railed handguards (so you don't buy the wrong one and assure the length you need - I prefer 12" in length if the barrel permits), vert grips, muzzle devices, rail covers, stock changes, etc, can be determined as you go and become a better shooter. Once you get to a certain point, you'll realize the direction you want to go, which will determine the gear you need at that point to fine tune your shooting, not to be relied on or to add just because you think it might be better. Trust me on this, it's the better way to do it.

Other than that, learn the fundamentals CORRECTLY, then get out there and have some fun running drills, talking classes, competing or just shooting piles of dirt. Most importantly, buy only what YOU need and enjoy the process as once it starts, you just have to hang on as there's not much you can do to stop it.
    I fully understand what you are saying here. So far the only thing i see that needs replacing ASAP is that A2 grip. After about 250 rounds the hand gets a little sore from the arthritis and i think a good grip will help improve that. I looked at all the links provided here and i think i am going to give one of those Hogue over molded grips a try. The rail system yeah i can wait on that. It i just something i would like to see happen someday. And, yes part of it was just wanting that tactical dripping with goodies look you see everywhere lol.

Right now i am training with it regularly. We don't have a training course here in town or close that is open to the public so i have been going to the range every Saturday. It belongs to the Fort Payne city police and is only open to the public on Saturdays. The guy i am working with Sgt. Ron McSomething ? can't pronounce or spell that name lol, anyways he is the officer in charge of training all the city and county police to use assault weapons which are mainly the S&W MP15's only difference it theirs are an earlier model and have the dust guards i believe. He has shown me everything from cleaning the gun properly to practical shooting. I can now pack a full clip into a tight pattern varying from 50 yards out to 150 yards. This coming weekend we will be working at 200 yards.

The guy is pretty good with an AR. The only thing i don't like about shooting with him is the rest of the idiots shooting at the range. They are constantly shooting across lanes and trying to hit YOUR target cause they are to lazy to call for safety and go reset their own target at a different distance. It is vary hard to sight in a gun when you have more than one guy popping your targets. Ron runs those folks out as soon as he sees them doing it or any other misbehaving. It just seems like an up hill battle for him down there. I fear if people keep it up they will close the range to the public.

I wouldn't recommend the Hogue. I'd go for the Magpul MOE or the MIAD so you can try different configurations. The rubber overmold does little since the majority of the weapon control comes from your support hand. I use the Tango Down BG17 on my ARs now. That's the thicker one of the two they offer. I modded a couple MIADs for my SCARs and found the moved my hand too far back, though they're perfect on ARs. So, I took a couple A2s, Dremel'd off the nub and the stippled the front area of the grip. This is now one of my favorite grips and it works grea on ARs too but I'm still using the Tango Downs on those.

I'd really suggest not going for the Hogue, but that all comes down to opinion. I'll post some pics in a minute
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Anybody played with the new MOE+?

Magpul MOE+ AR15/M16 Rifle Grip Black

Seems to be a rubberized MOE. May be worth looking in to.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links