Home defense shotgun ammo capacity - Page 2

Home defense shotgun ammo capacity

This is a discussion on Home defense shotgun ammo capacity within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm I was young and dumber. I was also in the wrong, and glad I didnt kill them. It took the good ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Home defense shotgun ammo capacity

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I was young and dumber. I was also in the wrong, and glad I didnt kill them. It took the good will of the local Magistrate, and some creative work by a good looking female JAG officer, plus a letter from my Bn CO promising I would be a good boy to get me out of that one.
    Ha ha!

I kinda wondered about shooting them in the butt when they were already heading over the fence.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    I was young and dumber. I was also in the wrong, and glad I didnt kill them. It took the good will of the local Magistrate, and some creative work by a good looking female JAG officer, plus a letter from my Bn CO promising I would be a good boy to get me out of that one.
    Uh, you caught them in your house but were wrong for dusting them? Please elaborate. I have a hunch we'll learn something we should all know.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Nope, does not "bother" me at all. Folks can do whatever they want.

My question has more to do with what, in actuality, is a "good" home defense shotgun? Do you really need a "tactical" shotgun, if you already have a "sporting" shotgun, when the main difference is the length of the mag tube? Do you really need much more than a double-barrel, which has an advantage in terms of reduced overall length? (It also breaks down nice and small, and makes an ideal covert traveling companion)

I guess I'm trying to determine "need" from "want." We might "want" 8 shells, but do we really "need" that many? How many do we need, really?

There's lots of statistics on the number of rounds fired in a handgun fight - just wondering what the average is for shotguns. Of course, it is also nice to know the spread - averages mean little if you get caught in an above-average situation. As a side note, the "Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power" study shows the average number of rifle/shotgun rounds fired until incapacitation at less than 1.5. Would like to see some other sources and studies.
    Honestly, I wouldn't feel under-gunned in my current living situation with just the coachgun, and a 1911 to back it up. Just dump both barrels, and toss it to make way for the .45. I do however believe that there are too many variables to say how many we "need." But, variety is the spice of life, so I like having mutiple HD capable HD shotguns.

If I was just going to have one, it would be a 870, with an 18.5" barrel, and a 28" barrel, and the standard mag tube.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I used my shotgun, a Mossberg Persuder to dust a couple of guys I caught in my home while stationed in NC.
    If you were stationed at Fort Bragg things have not gotten any better. I had a guy from my home down back in Michigan get murdered here in the past week. Fayettenam sucks.

Back then, NC didn't have a Castle Doctrine( don't know about now), and I knew something was wrong, my gate was open when I got home, front door was open, and my dogs were gone.

I took my shotty from behind the seat, entered the house and cautiously made my way through to my bedroom where I heard noise. On the way I noticed the back door was standing wide open.
    A grubby white guy with a ball cap came out of my bedroom carrying my Goldstar TV and VCR. I also kept my guns in the bedroom.

When he saw me he started rambling, sat the stuff down and made a gesture with his hands. I had already thumbed the safety and let go with a shot. He fell back against the washing machine, dropped to the floor squealing like a pig on all fours and was scrambling to get out the back door that was near him.
    Completely pissed off at this point, I shot him in the ass as he was going down the steps, tumbling him ass over elbows.

I racked another round in and ran to the door, but he was already running around the left corner of the house. At the same time, I noticed another guy, trying to get over the fence, and decided he needed a dose of lead too, so I blasted him in the ass.

Called the police, and told them what happened. In 15 minutes my driveway was flooded with State Troopers, county and Sheriff deputies.

I honestly told them what happened. They caught the two walking on a dirt road in obvious distress, limping and holding themselves, and found stuff from my house they had taken and hid in the woods directly behind the house.

The problem was, I should have stopped shooting when they left the house. The asses full of bird shot didn't help my position.

Luckily, they were hated and despised as white trash thieves by the authorities who were tired of dealing with them, but then there was the matter of the law concerning my actions.

Between the military legal counsel, a letter from my CO, and a small town prosecuter, they decided not to press charges.

I recieved a page 11 entry in my Service Record book, which was pretty minor, and was confined to the barracks for 2 months cleaning and pulling Duty NCO.
    The ordeal was totally exhausting and nerve racking.
    Lesson learned; no more ass shots.
    atctimmy, Cuda66, Sfire and 1 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I have my Remington 887. Unfortunately, that entails a 28" barrel. But, it holds 4+1, but I don't keep one chambered in the shotty- I want them to hear it being pumped and decide that they have business elsewhere. VERY elsewhere and in a hurry.

In a situation where I have to leave the room, I would be backing up my shotty with either my .357, or .45. Maybe both, depends on how mad I get.

I DID almost break down and snatch up a Maverick Saturday. 18.5" barrel, 5+1, came with a pistol grip. $200. But, my 1911 fund takes precedence.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Answering your question, "No!"...that's why I'm very comfortable with my double barrel coach gun in 12 gage and loaded with 00 buck!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    If I was just going to have one, it would be a 870, with an 18.5" barrel, and a 28" barrel, and the standard mag tube.
    I do only have one, and that is darn near my setup. I have a factory 20" barrel (came with rifle sights), and a 26" barrel (which I use for trap). Standard factory 4-shell mag tube. I have an elastic butt cuff for spare shells - easy to remove when I go shoot trap. That's it - simple and light.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Answering your question, "No!"...that's why I'm very comfortable with my double barrel coach gun in 12 gage and loaded with 00 buck!
    I keep fighting the urge to get one of those. My main concern is leaving it loaded with shells in the chambers, fully cocked, with the safety on. I just don't trust most long guns to be drop-safe.
    CT Lasers

gman - I laughed so hard reading your post I about blew my drink through my nose and onto my laptop!

There is another important lesson there, though. All those folks who think birdshot is a good idea for defensive use should take note that it did not "stop" the guys who were in your home. Had they decided to attack instead of run, you might have been in for a rough go. The one guy, despite two hits, was walking away - albeit with a limp.

Birdshot is for little critters...buckshot is for big critters.
    CT Lasers

I have a Mossberg 930 SA with 4+1,the first thing they hear will be boom,and its loaded with 00 and 2 more 00 and 3 slugs in the sidesaddle
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My Mossberg Persuader holds eight rounds of 2 3/4" shot shells, or seven 3" shells. I have no Idea what the stats are for how many rounds on average, but all eight of mine are 00buck and I'm doubting very seriously if I'll be needing more than a couple to get my point across.

I have a side saddle mounted on mine and it's holding six more shells, but these are of the "Slug" persuasion. Can't imagine really needing that type of firepower, but if I'm loading um up, I pity the fool at the business end. IMO, the pump shotgun is the best home defense weapon around. Just the sound of charging the thing up sends an alert out to everyone that's not easily matched. Like a revolver, IMO everyone should have one in their inventory, maybe two.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    In SD situations as a general rule keeping it simple is your best bet.

Whatever system works for you is what you need to have. Double barrels and over/under SD comes are coming into fashion and probably for most situations would work just fine. You can always say well "What if......" and add whatever you want into it to justify the weapon that you either have or want to have at that moment.

Any long gun that is used for HD the primary consideration should be length/manueverability, then ammo capacity, then action type. Remember you are fighting and engaging at room distance there is no need for 3 1/2 inch, triple magnum, 00 buck that is lethal at 100 yards adapt the ammo to the situation. My HD handguns and rifles that are set up for that home defense role are just that, they seldom if ever leave the house to fufill another mission. If I do use them for something else I change their configuration for that purpose. You do not need a supercool, tactical anything you just need a good, reliable firearm and the correct ammuniton to go with it.

One final thought and I am not bashing anyones thoughts or opinions. Please do not think the sound of a shotgun racking will deter anything or make the bad guy run in terror. Yes some will but if they do run at the sound they were not much of a threat anyways. The ones you have to worry about are the ones who use that sound to pinpoint your location and fire or if determined enough to close the distance or get into a position where you do not have the room to manuever so the advantage of superior firepower you had now shift to the bad guy.

Just an opinion
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

One final thought and I am not bashing anyones thoughts or opinions. Please do not think the sound of a shotgun racking will deter anything or make the bad guy run in terror. Yes some will but if they do run at the sound they were not much of a threat anyways. The ones you have to worry about are the ones who use that sound to pinpoint your location and fire or if determined enough to close the distance or get into a position where you do not have the room to manuever so the advantage of superior firepower you had now shift to the bad guy.
    Wait, which is it.... If it does then great mission accomplished, if it doesn't who cares... I'm sure you have the BG out gunned anyway, and IMO the Shotgun is a "stand you ground" weapon and if you have the high ground i.e. upstairs and the intruder decides to come on up anyway; well. he/they are toast IMO, provided the operator knows how to use the weapon.

IMO, the use of sound when it's made like the racking of a shotgun will get a hellofah lot more respect than some care to give it credit for, and more often than not. But I would agree, don't use it like it's a golden saber, but in a crises situation one should use everything at their disposal to avoid the fight. If that doesn't work unleash hell on the BG if left with no option.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    The simple fact is you do not know which one of the bad guys you are facing. Do you take the chance of racking the action and hopes the guy runs instead of firing at the direction of the noise? You cant take it back once it is done and you may only get one chance to make a first impression so to speak.

More than once a not so sociable person upon hearing "That sound" simply stated "Big deal I got one to". The level of intimidation is not what you think it may be but again not bashing you do what you want. I simply prepare for the worst case scenario and prepare in my mind that I am facing someone with the desire to hurt me, the skill to do it, and the equipment to back it up. I have not been disapointed yet.
    OPFOR likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links