Home defense shotgun ammo capacity

This is a discussion on Home defense shotgun ammo capacity within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good thread. How many rounds is too many or not enough? Tough question. I know that I would prefer not to have to reload in ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Home defense shotgun ammo capacity

Good thread. How many rounds is too many or not enough? Tough question. I know that I would prefer not to have to reload in the middle of a fight. And that is one reason I do not buy into the racking slide method of home defense. I would just as soon have that extra shot I will be missing if my gun is sitting on an empty chamber. I don't leave my handgun sitting on an empty chamber, when that is just as likely to be heard racking the slide in the wee hours of the morning as a shotgun. If I want to give away my position I'll say something like, Leave the house now sir. You have been warned.
    My HD shotgun performs double duty though. I also want enough rounds in it if a family of raccoons raids the hen house. And in an apocolyptic world, chances are I would want my shotgun for its versatility and ease of finding ammo. 7+1 suits me fine. The tube extension does not stick out beyond the barrel and doesn't appear to slow me down any.

2. Remove Ads

A word of caution - all modern handguns, in good working order, are designed to be drop safe. The same is NOT true of most long guns. I would be exceedingly careful about keeping a long gun loaded with a round in the chamber. Check with your manufacturer - do not assume it is safe to do this.

For this reason, I do NOT keep a round in the chamber of my long guns. So, for me, the rack vs no-rack debate is moot - whether a pump or semi auto shotgun, I would need to chamber a round, and that will make a noise. For a break-open design, I just do not feel comfortable keeping them loaded and cocked with the safety on, so once again, I would need to load and close the action, which will make a bit of noise.

Back on topic - still waiting for some accounts of needing more than 1 or 2 shotgun blasts for inside the home defense. Anyone? Anyone?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    The simple fact is you do not know which one of the bad guys you are facing. Do you take the chance of racking the action and hopes the guy runs instead of firing at the direction of the noise? You cant take it back once it is done and you may only get one chance to make a first impression so to speak.

More than once a not so sociable person upon hearing "That sound" simply stated "Big deal I got one to". The level of intimidation is not what you think it may be but again not bashing you do what you want. I simply prepare for the worst case scenario and prepare in my mind that I am facing someone with the desire to hurt me, the skill to do it, and the equipment to back it up. I have not been disapointed yet.
    Not nit picking here, but the thought of a home robbery taking place where the BGs are packing shotguns is highly unlikely, not unheard of mind you, but unlikely.. Just a a thought.. And I think you're giving the BGs way to much credit in your scenario.. If these are hit men coming to kill you, and they are on a mission, than yes, the sound effect is probably gonna be moot, but to the average low life would be robber, their probably gonna have a good bit less resolve than that caliber of intruder. I think it's note worthy that most robbers work under the guise of stealth and silence. Once that's gig is up, I'm betting that most, if not all will beat feet the way they came. And if they heard a shotgun rack in the background somewhere upstairs,their haste would be ten fold. As for the firing in the general direction of the sound, IMO that's highly unlikely, unless the sound is coming from within the room that they are in, at which IMO, was the wrong time to rack the shottie.

I'll leave it at that. You handle it your way, and I'll handle it my way. I hope if either of us are ever was faced with a situation like that, that we both would be successful.

Oops, sorry for the thread high jack 10thmtn....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

A double gun is fine for home defense. I would only recommend that practice is in order especially with reloads. Reloading a double gun is not something that one can do quickly/proficiently under stress.

As for extended magazine tubes, as long as the extension doesn't go beyond the end of the barrel then maneuverability isn't any more of a concern as it would be with any long gun.

My HD shotguns aren't (primarily)going to be used in a house clearing capacity. They're purpose is for me or the Mrs. to hold our ground in a hardened position. My wife is not trained to clear a house of bad guys. My primary HD weapon is a handgun on my person at all times. That and a light will likely be the first things presented to any unwelcome visitor.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Back then, NC didn't have a Castle Doctrine( don't know about now)
    That will be fixed Dec. 1st. Not sure it would help this though. Great story. I have a feeling DA's in parts of this state would have just patted you on the back and been done.

As for the shotgun, my wife's has the standard mag tube. I put on an adjustable stock for her, removed the plug, and cut down the barrel. She has a hard enough time dealing with the weight of the gun, so extra rounds of any form are not going to work. My shotgun is mainly for hunting, but I remove the plug out of season and have extra rounds on the stock. Weight is not an issue on mine.

Also, my pistol is on my hip at home. Not sure if the shotgun would come into play or not.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    GBK sorry if you misunderstood my post I was not talking about a home invader armed with a shotgun I was talking about general purpose working the streets listening to their comments.

You are correct we will each have to handle the situation in our own way however I do not agree with playing the law of averages. I will always stack the odds in my favor either by better tactics, training or equipment and prepare for worst case scenario like I said it has not let me down yet.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I do only have one, and that is darn near my setup. I have a factory 20" barrel (came with rifle sights), and a 26" barrel (which I use for trap). Standard factory 4-shell mag tube. I have an elastic butt cuff for spare shells - easy to remove when I go shoot trap. That's it - simple and light.
    Sounds like we have the same shotgun:

Mossberg 500 with 20" smoothbore "slugster" barrel with rifle sights. I have the elastic butt cuff too but not in this pic.

VIP Member
    My HD set up. 5 + 1

001.JPG
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Mine. 6 + 1
    Attached Images
    atctimmy likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

A Saiga 12 with a drum. If you're gonna do it, do it big.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

The question posed at the beginning of the thread is a bit ambiguous since what we've "heard" about the number of inside-the-house shotgun blasts being fired has nothing to do with the actual possibilities since it's commonplace to read about home invasions carried out by three, four, five, or more perpetrators. So, a more appropriate question would be "how many rounds might you possibley need in a hurry without stopping a bullet while trying to reload?" Personally, I prefer to possibly have more rounds in the tube than I may need rather than end up not having enough before all is said and done.

The second thing to consider about relying on a shottie for home defense is the extreme lack of maneuverability that a long gun presents when trying to rapidly shoulder, swing and fire it at multiple targets in the very close-quarter confines of a home filled with furniture, interior doorways and other obstacles that many times get in the way of swinging a handgun. While I keep a 1911 Colt safely concealed but readily available in my bedroom, my all-purpose (inside and outside) home defense tool is a true "close-quarter" 7+1 (when using 12-pellet 00-buckshot) 12ga. New England (870 clone) pump that I specifically modified only for its intended purpose. It's fully "legal" with an 18" barrel and 1/4" longer than minimum required overall length.

Defensive Shotgun.jpg

It can obviously be easily swung and fired from the "breeched" position at extremely close range; but (with an extended forearm and locked elbow on the front pistol-grip) can quickly be raised, sighted and fired with extreme accuracy at 100 yards - which has worked very nicely to pop huge feral hogs that occasionally invade my rural Texas acreage. For quick access in the event of internal or external home defense, I offer the following:

Shotgun Rack-6.jpgShotgun Rack-7.jpg

I just bumped mine to 7+1 yesterday, like all defense situations - I hope one is never needed, let alone 8 - but if need be, I'm glad they are there.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by JBachman View Post
    A Saiga 12 with a drum. If you're gonna do it, do it big.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    I want one!! I got a good look at a Saiga the other day. It was very pretty and begged me to take it home with me. But I couldn't.

I will be looking into getting a magazine extension for my Remington sometime soon.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    The question posed at the beginning of the thread is a bit ambiguous since what we've "heard" about the number of inside-the-house shotgun blasts being fired has nothing to do with the actual possibilities since it's commonplace to read about home invasions carried out by three, four, five, or more perpetrators. So, a more appropriate question would be "how many rounds might you possibley need in a hurry without stopping a bullet while trying to reload?" Personally, I prefer to possibly have more rounds in the tube than I may need rather than end up not having enough before all is said and done.

The second thing to consider about relying on a shottie for home defense is the extreme lack of maneuverability that a long gun presents when trying to rapidly shoulder, swing and fire it at multiple targets in the very close-quarter confines of a home filled with furniture, interior doorways and other obstacles that many times get in the way of swinging a handgun. While I keep a 1911 Colt safely concealed but readily available in my bedroom, my all-purpose (inside and outside) home defense tool is a true "close-quarter" 7+1 (when using 12-pellet 00-buckshot) 12ga. New England (870 clone) pump that I specifically modified only for its intended purpose. It's fully "legal" with an 18" barrel and 1/4" longer than minimum required overall length.

Defensive Shotgun.jpg

It can obviously be easily swung and fired from the "breeched" position at extremely close range; but (with an extended forearm and locked elbow on the front pistol-grip) can quickly be raised, sighted and fired with extreme accuracy at 100 yards - which has worked very nicely to pop huge feral hogs that occasionally invade my rural Texas acreage. For quick access in the event of internal or external home defense, I offer the following:

Shotgun Rack-6.jpgShotgun Rack-7.jpg
    The possibilities are endless - what I am concerned with is probabilities. And so far, the probability of needing more than 1 or 2 shotgun blasts seems rather remote.

My shotgun has but one purpose - to guard the barricaded door of our safe room. I do not intend to clear my home with it. If I do need to move within the home, I will use my Glock 19. Thus, overall length is really a moot issue.

As far as multiple home invaders, that is a concern. However, if I let them come to me, they will be in a death funnel - only one can be in a position to harm me at a time. Once you have fired that shotgun once or twice, the probability of the rest of the crew sticking around to take you on are fairly remote. If they do, they will have to step over the bodies of their buddies, and that's what the additional shells are for - as well as the back-up handgun, now wielded most likely by my wife in support of me.

For outside the home (area defense) I much prefer a rifle, due to the need for accuracy (there are other homes in all directions).

JMHO.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; October 13th, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

WELL?! It's been three days since the last post...

Anyone? Anyone? Any incidents of self defense inside a home that needed more than one or two shotgun shells to resolve?
    CT Lasers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links