Home defense shotgun ammo capacity

Home defense shotgun ammo capacity

This is a discussion on Home defense shotgun ammo capacity within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Question - Does anyone know of an inside-the-home defensive situation where more than 1 or 2 shotgun shells were fired by the defender? Has a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Home defense shotgun ammo capacity

Question Home defense shotgun ammo capacity

Question - Does anyone know of an inside-the-home defensive situation where more than 1 or 2 shotgun shells were fired by the defender? Has a defender ever run their repeating shotgun dry defending their home?

I ask this because I know most are wont to have extended mag tubes on their defensive shotguns (which I feel adversely affects the "swingability" of the shotgun), while others swear you "need" a Saiga with a detachable high-cap box mag to defend your castle.

My shotgun has a standard 4-shell mag tube, and while I keep an extra 6 shells on the butt (keeps the weight close to me so the gun is faster in the swing vs the extra shells being on the receiver), I would feel quite comfortable with a double barrel. To my mind, the extra ammo is there for reloading the gun after things are over, just in case they are not.

Once the shotgun starts barking, I don't think too many thugs are going to stick around and try to take you on.

And while I certainly understand the idea of having too much ammo is better than not enough, I'm just trying to get a realistic picture of what "enough" shotgun ammo really is. My gut tells me it isn't much. And too much ammo in/on the gun, which makes the gun heavier and thus slower in action, might actually be a detriment.

So...anyone? anyone?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I don't specifically recall anyone emptying a shotgun in home defense. I do recall one man defending his gun shop adjacent to his home. As I recall he used multiple weapons, some FA, and many rounds of ammo, against a multi man crew.

Generally, I doubt it would be an issue. But, if you were hit by a crew of three or more, on a home invasion, who thought you had some specific valuables, they might choose to fight rather than run.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I sure haven't, and try to keep pretty plugged into that kind of news. Maybe back in the days of Indian raids it was an issue...

I think you have the right approach, certainly coincident with mine. My 870 is 3+1 capacity with a few more on a butt cuff plus loose rounds ready to go on the closet shelf over the gun. If I need to retreat to the bedroom, the AR and a lot of loaded mags are there as well.

I think if I ran a cash business in my home or led a lifestyle that attracted unwanted attention I might reconsider, but I'm a middle-aged white guy with a 19 year-old Volvo wagon parked in the driveway in a neighborhood of modest starter-type homes. The guy down the street with the jacked-up 4WD F350 and a 350Z parked out front is probably at greater risk.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I don't know what the average expenditure is but I feel that if I have used my 5 shots of capacity and still have a problem... I HAVE A REAL BAD PROBLEM!

My Mossberg's have a capacity of five - 3 or 2 3/4 inch shells. I keep some 2 inch shells linked below loaded to hopefully reduce multiple wall penetration. I have not actually tested this. It also significantly reduces felt recoil. At 2 inches I can also load seven of them in the tube instead of the normal five.

I actually now keep four - 2.75 inch shells and two - 2 inch shells at the lead for a total tube capacity of six. If the first two 2 inchers don't convince visitors to leave, I'll want more punch. I also keep six more 2 3/4 inchers in carriers on the butt.
    Centurion 12Ga 6 Pellet, 00 Mini-Buck 2in. 10rd boxes
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    I haven't heard of any home defense situations where a shotgun has been run dry, however, the shotgun in my cruiser has 7+1 capacity and I'd rather have them all than only my 4+1 (long barrel hunting type) at home.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; October 10th, 2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: clarification
    Guantes likes this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Haven't heard anything about that specificly. My feelings on the matter is a double-barrel will take care of defending the home as well as that 8+1 'tacti-cool monstrosity' that ALL the SWAT/SRT teams have in the magizine advertisments.

This is just me, but as far as shottys (specificaly for HD) go, K.I.S.S. is the way to go.
    shooterX likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

10thmtn I do almost exactly the same with my HD shotgun. It holds 5 in the tube and I keep 6 on the butt stock, which I feel is plenty. I also attached a surefire G2 with an LED head and a pressure switch. My brother uses my Dad's double barrel coach gun.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Nope, I don't know of any situations that required more than a couple shotgun shells for HD. But that being said, in my current set up, my shotgun is a static position weapon, where it is just going to be pointed at the door, of a room I am staying in, behind cover. If I run a 930 SPX dry from that position, it will probably be the zombie apocalypse.

I do know that I am strong enough that a couple extra rounds doesn't add enough weight to make it un-usable to me. The extra weight also helps with recoil. Now, if the mag tube is extending past your barrel, there is an issue. On the other hand, there was a time period where I was using a coachgun as my HD shotgun. But I would rather have the rounds on hand without a reload.

But, what does it matter to you if I want to have 8 rounds of buckshot on hand? If I feel I need it, then I do. Just like some people see no reason to carry a spare mag for their semi-auto.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Nope, does not "bother" me at all. Folks can do whatever they want.

My question has more to do with what, in actuality, is a "good" home defense shotgun? Do you really need a "tactical" shotgun, if you already have a "sporting" shotgun, when the main difference is the length of the mag tube? Do you really need much more than a double-barrel, which has an advantage in terms of reduced overall length? (It also breaks down nice and small, and makes an ideal covert traveling companion)

I guess I'm trying to determine "need" from "want." We might "want" 8 shells, but do we really "need" that many? How many do we need, really?

There's lots of statistics on the number of rounds fired in a handgun fight - just wondering what the average is for shotguns. Of course, it is also nice to know the spread - averages mean little if you get caught in an above-average situation. As a side note, the "Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power" study shows the average number of rifle/shotgun rounds fired until incapacitation at less than 1.5. Would like to see some other sources and studies.
    CT Lasers

10thmtn, I used my shotgun, a Mossberg Persuder to dust a couple of guys I caught in my home while stationed in NC. I fired 3 shots, but really only needed 2. I hit the guy in the house once in the chest, and once in the arse as he scrambled on all fours out the back door. I chased him, but he was gone when I got to the door. I hit his partner in the arse to help him over the fence he was climbing in my back yard as he was trying to get away.
    Lucky for them, I had 5 shells in the mag, the first 3 were #8 fired from an open bore.
    The last 2 were 00Buck.

When the shotty speaks, people listen, but they don't stand around to hear the ending.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

With 4 rounds of 00 buckshot, you've got 36 .357 caliber projectiles on tap.

That's a lot of lead that can be launched rapidly.

I keep my 870 with a mag full of #1 buck; 4 rounds in the tube.

I don't like extended tubes and other tacticool stuff.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I'm thinking I'd really like one of these.

Kel Tec CNC
    BioGLoCK23 likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    10thmtn, I used my shotgun, a Mossberg Persuder to dust a couple of guys I caught in my home while stationed in NC. I fired 3 shots, but really only needed 2. I hit the guy in the house once in the chest, and once in the arse as he scrambled on all fours out the back door. I chased him, but he was gone when I got to the door. I hit his partner in the arse to help him over the fence he was climbing in my back yard as he was trying to get away.
    Lucky for them, I had 5 shells in the mag, the first 3 were #8 fired from an open bore.
    The last 2 were 00Buck.

When the shotty speaks, people listen, but they don't stand around to hear the ending.
    So - you were feeling charitable? My mag tube is loaded only with #1 buckshot. I don't believe in giving warnings to thugs who are already inside my home. If the sound of the slide being racked doesn't get the point across - they ain't getting birdshot.

Thanks for sharing!
    CT Lasers

RKM
    My M500 has a 5 round mag. I'm plenty happy. I won't be clearing my house with my shotgun. Hopfully I'll never have to clear my house, but if I'm somehow forced into a situation where I need to move room to room, my USP is coming with me.

But yeah, I don't feel the need for more than a 5 round mag. I have 5 slugs on the stock and 15 more rounds of 00 and 000 buckshot on the sling. If I have to get into reloading my shotgun... it's probably going to be a "die trying" situation.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    So - you were feeling charitable? My mag tube is loaded only with #1 buckshot. I don't believe in giving warnings to thugs who are already inside my home. If the sound of the slide being racked doesn't get the point across - they ain't getting birdshot.

Thanks for sharing!
    I was young and dumber. I was also in the wrong, and glad I didnt kill them. It took the good will of the local Magistrate, and some creative work by a good looking female JAG officer, plus a letter from my Bn CO promising I would be a good boy to get me out of that one.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links