Colt LE 6920

This is a discussion on Colt LE 6920 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Quick question from a new AR shooter: My new LE 6920 is marked 223 on the receiver, and ive been told conflicting things about whether ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By skysoldier29

Thread: Colt LE 6920

Colt LE 6920

Quick question from a new AR shooter: My new LE 6920 is marked 223 on the receiver, and ive been told conflicting things about whether i can shoot 556 or not. The Colt manual doesn't even mention 556. What do you recommend? Thank in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I would say call Colt and ask. 5.56 NATO is higher pressure than .223 Rem you could have an issue firing 5.56 out of a .223 firearm. Call and ask, but I would play it safe until you find out for sure.
    DefConGun and Guest1 like this.

Not sure why it's marked that way, is it the sp6920? Im pretty sure it's a 5.56 chamber.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

On the invoice its marked as a Colt Defense LE 6920.......

Senior Moderator
    Thats because LEO's use .223 that is marketed as such.

I've shot everything will no ill results, and everyone I know does the same. I doubt that you would ever have any issues.

Sometimes my dept. uses cheap milsurp stuff for practice, other times they use "LEO" .223 stuff.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

That's odd. I have a 6920 and it's marked 5.56 on the barrel. That's where I'd look.
    I don't recall any marking on the receiver. (other than the Colt disclaimer)

I checked the top of the barrell, missed it before it's marked 5.56 NATO 1/7

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    That's odd. I have a 6920 and it's marked 5.56 on the barrel. That's where I'd look.
    I don't recall any marking on the receiver. (other than the Colt disclaimer)
    The LE6920s have CAL. 5.56MM directly under the word CARBINE (in addition to the barrel). It sounds as though he may have one with the new rollmark.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by lprmcnit View Post
    I checked the top of the barrell, missed it before it's marked 5.56 NATO 1/7
    Good.
    You're good to go with either .223 or 5.56.
    The 1/7 twist spins the bullet faster than the more conventional 1/9 twist.
    That's intended to stabilize heavier bullets, but I can't tell any difference.

Thanks everyone, i appreciate the advice and help. It's been great to shoot......and i never thought i'd find something i liked better than my M1....... :)...i'm goint to miss The PINNNGGG every 8 rounds......

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I own an LE6920 and I have a standard 16" 1:7 twist NATO stamped barrel.

The firearm clearly can support 5.56 M193 NATO Ball. I've shot countless rounds of lake city and other brands of 5.56 with no problems. In fact the gun handles more like a Ferrari on that stuff over the crappy 223 stuff.

Regardless of the side marking, if your barrel is stamped 1:7 NATO then it can handle it. Secondly its a Pony. I have never heard of a single Pony EBR ever blowing up from shooting NATO projectiles.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Links