Would appreciate some advice

This is a discussion on Would appreciate some advice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So lately I have been looking into getting a decent home defense shotgun/rifle. I have a couple of old rifles and an old shotgun, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would appreciate some advice

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar

Would appreciate some advice

So lately I have been looking into getting a decent home defense shotgun/rifle. I have a couple of old rifles and an old shotgun, but they are either bolt action or single shot and so not an ideal defense gun. I have been looking at three different guns to potentially buy and I'll explain my reasoning in short. Mossberg 500 18.5 inch, simple, reliable, and inexpensive. Coach gun with internal hammers by undecided maker (Stoeger or Baikal maybe?), very simple, very reliable, but only two shots. Saiga Sporter in .223 or 7.62x39, reliable, good capacity, fun, inexpensive.

These are just a few potentials. One of the shotguns is what I'm leaning towards, but I've shot the Saiga's before and darn they are a fun gun to plinking with and I would think could be a pretty good home defense gun too. Anyways I was just musing over this and thought I'd see what some thoughts are on the matter. Thanks.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

2. Remove Ads

I would recommend a Mossberg pump since they are reliable and affordable. You also don't have to worry so much about bullets going through the walls and hitting something it wasn't intended to hit. If you want/need to shoot at a distance, a slug for the shotgun is an option as well.

I am eagerly awaiting this... Kel Tec CNC Bull Pup 15 round shotgun Although, it is my personal practice to give new products on the market a trial period of 6 months to a year, so the manufacture can work out the bugs at someone else's expense.

If the gun proves reliable it will be an ideal home defense weapon.

VIP Member
    A Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 express w/ 18" barrel would both be good choices for home defense, especially inside the house.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Just picked up a Mossberg 500 myself, so I'll give my vote for the Mossy.
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Honest truth, either of the shotguns would do you justice. My first choice would be the Mossburger. A Stoger coach is such a great shotty! Fun and intimidating, but the 500 is all business and the extra rounds...... well 5 of-a-kind beat a pair.

You said it yourself, simple, inexpensive, and reliable.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Your choices in the order I would pick...

Mossberg 500, coach gun, Saiga 7.62, Saiga .223.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    I would recommend a Mossberg pump since they are reliable and affordable. You also don't have to worry so much about bullets going through the walls and hitting something it wasn't intended to hit. If you want/need to shoot at a distance, a slug for the shotgun is an option as well.
    Not true. All the testing I've seen shows that, if a projectile has enough penetration to reach the vitals, it will also go through several interior walls.

Truth be told, any shotgun will do. I'd rather have a double than a single barrel, but if you have a handgun to back you up, you should be fine. Once the shotgun starts barking, folks tend to exit stage left in a hurry.

I have a Remington 870 pump, 4-shot mag tube, 20 inch barrel, and an elastic butt cuff for an extra 6 shells. I use #1 buckshot, which seems to have the best mix of penetration vs number of pellets. #1 buck can be hard to find in stores, so I ordered mine online.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Mossy 500 is all the HD you and your offspring will ever need. I mention your offspring because if you take care of it they will still be shooting it when you are gone.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

With a shotgun there is such a variety of ammo available that you pick something that won't over penetrate and still stop the bad guy.

Mossburg 500 good, only thing I noticed was safety was cast metal and often broke in half. Might be after market forged one out there . Dont know. I got same dilemma, chose an 870, just gotta tune it up...

I say slugs are ok, for home defense you'd be precisely placing shots imho anyway. They extend range and accuracy. IE;family member taken hostage, bear grabs kid??, one would not want buckshot but a well placed rd. Here we're rural no close neighbors. Lots of bears and dogs that pose potential threat besides some BG.I've had 400 lb bear looking at me thru patio door which made me think...

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Sounds like I have the answers I wanted, thanks guys.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

RKM
    Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.

Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    With a shotgun there is such a variety of ammo available that you pick something that won't over penetrate and still stop the bad guy.

This video shows nothing. Unless you use some exotic fragmenting slugs, anything that will meet the FBI desired 12-15 inches of penetration in gel will also go through several interior walls.

Some tests here:

The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 2

My only quibble is with regard to #1 buckshot, which I've seen elsewhere recommended as being better than 00 buck, due to the greater number of pellets.

In any case, use buckshot. Slugs are useful for long range, but otherwise tend to over penetrate. And save the birdshot for little critters or target use.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

RKM
    Slugs may be designed for long range, but IMO can also be used a short range for more precision with short barrels that cause a big spread even at 7 yards. My M500 spreads 000buck as an 8" group at 7 yards. That's a big spread. If I need a well placed shot and all I have in my shotgun with the slugs mounted on the stock, I choose the slugs. Besides, slugs pack an incredibly nasty punch.

You're right though, most cases, buckshot is the preferred load of choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links