Advice on smoothing up Rem 870 express action

This is a discussion on Advice on smoothing up Rem 870 express action within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Had to stone hammer surface as it was galled up badly. Then hit it with polish wheel. Better , but still really rough. What do ...

Thread: Advice on smoothing up Rem 870 express action

Had to stone hammer surface as it was galled up badly. Then hit it with polish wheel. Better , but still really rough. What do I need to get it to run like an old featherweight 870? Are bolt assy interchangeable? Brownells got any parts that make a big difference?Action bars get any attention? I stoned machine marks out of them but this thing is rough! Heck the old style 870's could be fired fast as a semi auto. This thing trips all over itself. Changed out extractor spring which improved functionality. Maybe its just time to find an old police model 870 or 37 Ithaca. Help much appreciated...

The operating rods are steel stampings that may have "shear lips" from the stamping process. On my 870, stoning those rods flat (sides, top and bottom) made a noticeable difference in how smoothly the pump action worked. You could also use some valve grinding compound on the rods (apply as if it was grease) and work the action a thousand times, but I think stoning is quicker and less messy.

Also take a look at how the action sleeve surrounding the mag tube interacts with the latter. Is there any interference or drag? Machinist's blue or Sharpie marker is useful to reveal wear patterns than can be smoothed out with mild abrasive.

I'm surprised to hear your hammer surface was galled - are you sure it's not just rough from "economical" machining? Galling is an effect of high loads on materials that don't wear well against one another.
    Nnetheless, cleaning up the hammer and sear will smooth out the trigger pull but little else.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

gasmitty,
    Thanx. Yeah hammer had 3-4 small gouges/divets in it. No idea what caused it or if it came from factory like that. I'll work on your recommendation and let ya know.

VIP Member
    The best way is to get out and use it. The 870 Express does not have the 870 smoothness either. Shoot it a lot, it will smooth up.

ctr,
    Been using it for deer hunting,grouse and clay pigeons. . Its been getting a work out even though theres no birds in my freezer yet.This weekend shes getting some attention..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    ctr,
    Been using it for deer hunting,grouse and clay pigeons. . Its been getting a work out even though theres no birds in my freezer yet.This weekend shes getting some attention..
    Good job. Any day at play is a good day. The 870 is a solid gun, and extremely reliable. An 870 Express was my first deer/bird/trap gun.

Sponsored Links