S&W M&P 15 sport vs Rock River LAR-15 CAR A4

This is a discussion on S&W M&P 15 sport vs Rock River LAR-15 CAR A4 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to purchase an AR, shotgun, and a 45 (all for HD). Budget is a factor. I've narrowed my AR search down to the ...

Thread: S&W M&P 15 sport vs Rock River LAR-15 CAR A4

S&W M&P 15 sport vs Rock River LAR-15 CAR A4

I want to purchase an AR, shotgun, and a 45 (all for HD). Budget is a factor.

I've narrowed my AR search down to the S&W M&P 15 sport and the Rock River LAR-15 CAR A4. I'm able to purchase these from a dealer who only sells to LEO and Military. The S&W is $300 cheaper than the RR.

Someone posted a thread indicating that he had just purchased the S&W M&P 15 sport and that it shot the .223 as well as the 5.56 NATO. What I'm not clear on is does the S&W handle the .223 or just the 5.56? The RR clearly states .223/5.56 NATO chamber while the S&W states 5.56 NATO. Does the NATO allow the S&W to use/fire the .223?

The same dealer sells Mossberg 303 18" 6 shots for $414 or the Mossberg 300 20" 9 shots for $411.

If the S&W only fires the the 5.56 is spending the extra $300 for the RR worth it or would the S&W suffice and use the $300 to purchase a Glock 36 which is just over $400.

Thanks in advance for those who reply.

Mike

BTW The same dealer sells Mossberg 303 18" 6 shots for $414 or the Mossberg 300 20" 9 shots for $411.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

2. Remove Ads

An AR-15 chambered in 5.56 will fire both 5.56x45 and .223, it is one chambered in .223 that can not shoot 5.56x45.

But there are some other significant differences. It depends on how honest you are with yourself about the intended usage, as to which one will work better for you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    An AR-15 chambered in 5.56 will fire both 5.56x45 and .223, it is one chambered in .223 that can not shoot 5.56x45.

But there are some other significant differences. It depends on how honest you are with yourself about the intended usage, as to which one will work better for you.
    Agreed.

I'd shoot .223 at the range primarily. If you're serious about keeping the AR as a home defense gun, you can still use .223 ammo in basically any configuration you want (HP, SP, FMJ etc.), but I prefer the extra "umph" of 5.56 from XM193 55gr FMJ to MK262 77gr HP.

Thanks for the quick reply and clarification! It is very helpful.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Neither.

You can get a Colt or BCM for less than $1K
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'm Looking for an accurate,durable, AR for around $1,000. I hunt in New Mexico where sand will definantely get in the rifle. Any ideas? What brand?

Between those two, I'd go with the S&W. If you can swing around $1k just get a Colt 6920. You'll never need another.

VIP Member
    OLD THREAD ALERT. OP has probably bought his gun by now.

@ McBride: Look at a Colt 6920, a BCM (if you can find one) or if price the most important factor then PSA.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OLD THREAD ALERT. OP has probably bought his gun by now.
    I'm the OP and I have purchased a Remington 870, a Glock 36, and a Colt LWT Commander XSE (got side tracked and lost focus) Now I need to save for the AR

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I'm the OP and I have purchased a Remington 870, a Glock 36, and a Colt LWT Commander XSE (got side tracked and lost focus) Now I need to save for the AR
    Then I suggest a Colt 6920. They can be had for just under $1K. If you really want the best deal around then you should look into Palmetto State Armory. Good hunting!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

The M&P 15 Sport handles both .223 and 5.56. It has no dust cover or forward assist, but will you really need the dust cover? I got mine for $659.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    You would be a very lucky man to gether another ar based rifle that will shot with a M&P sport for under 1000 dollars retail . Scoped they will shoot moa or less with little effort. Good solid rifle for the money with LGS price in my area of 600 + or - 5 bucks. And as you now now 5.56 or .223 ammo both run well.

I just bought the S&W M&P 15 OR. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I'll probably just get flip up sites for now. I'm also going to add a quad rail and I found a vertical grip with a 900 lumen light!!!! It's probably not really 900 lumens but one of the reviewers said that it's FAR brighter than his 300 lumen light. I'm also considering a laser of some type but haven't decided on that yet.

To the OP, if you havent bought your AR yet, consider the OR. Unlike the sport, the OR is chromed throughout and flip up sights aren't that expensive. Plus, it's only a few bucks more than the Sport. Also, regarding your shotgun, you should really consider getting a 12 gauge! Regarding your handgun, consider the Glock .45 ACP...really rugged handgun that's nearly indestructible!!! Look at both the full sized model as well as the subcompact. My G30SF (subcompact .45 hds 10+1 rounds) is exactly the same size as my G23 gen 4 compact (.40 S&W 13+1 rounds)!!! You could also consider the G23, it's just that the .45ACP is my favorite round! Also, I just bought the new S&W Shield (9mm 8+1 rounds). It's a great backup gun. You should also consider having a revolver. I'd recommend the Ruger SP101 (5 shot 357 magnum, but you could always shoot 38+P or just regular 38s). I got the 2 1/4 inch barrel. It's solid stainless steel...it's like a little tank and the extra weight helps with recoil. I bought it after hearing so many people praise it and now I see why, I love mine!!! Whatever you end up getting you'll probably want more than one handgun and a revolver is a excellant choice! Good luck!!!
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, 30SF, 36, Colt 1911 Govt. (all .45 ACP), S&W M&P Shield (9 mm), S&W M&P (.22)
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357mag/.38SP), Taurus Judge (.410 Gauge/.45 LC)
    Long guns: Daniel Defense AR15s, M4V4 and M4V5 (both 5.56), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22LR)

One of the other posters was correct in saying that you'll REALLY need a dust cover!!! The S&W M&P 15 OR (optic ready) is not only chromed throughout, it also has a dust cover. The Colt 6920 is great but I prefer the 6040. I dont know where you guys live, but around here (Oklahoma), we're paying right around MSRP and they can't keep them on the shelves!!! That's one of the reasons I went ahead and bought the S&W. I couldn't find a Colt 6940. I actually bought a RRA but took it back to get the S&W and I'm very happy I did!!!

Also, your G36 will make a great back up gun (BUG), but the othe one you bought is a little big for a primary. Consider the G30 or the G23 for your primary.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, 30SF, 36, Colt 1911 Govt. (all .45 ACP), S&W M&P Shield (9 mm), S&W M&P (.22)
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357mag/.38SP), Taurus Judge (.410 Gauge/.45 LC)
    Long guns: Daniel Defense AR15s, M4V4 and M4V5 (both 5.56), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22LR)

Links