Slug through 18in barrel

This is a discussion on Slug through 18in barrel within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a mossberg 500 with a 18in breacher barrel on it, I was wondering if anyone has shot slugs through it and what it ...

Thread: Slug through 18in barrel

Slug through 18in barrel

I have a mossberg 500 with a 18in breacher barrel on it, I was wondering if anyone has shot slugs through it and what it can do
    Heres the exact barrel Shotgunworld.com • View topic - Need help on barrel.......

2. Remove Ads

It makes a slug sized hole in your target.

They are accurate enough at SD ranges,what you need to do is take it out and shoot a target to see where the rounds impact at different ranges and with different ammo,that way you can select the slugs that shoots the most accurate out of your gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have a 20 ga with an 18.5" barrel... Mounted a red-dot optic for low light shooting... Zeroed the red-dot using slugs at 25 feet. At that range, the zero is good not only for the slugs, but works well with #6 birdshot from range 5 feet to range 25 feet. No sight ranges more than 30 feet in my house; most practical shots would be less than 25

I've got my 930 SPX (18.5" barrel) zero'd out to 50 yards for slug use, and it is actually my deer shotgun (with a plug). I have shot out to 100 yards with it using slugs on the range, you just need to learn how to adjust for the elevation change.

Granted, the sights on that are a bit better than stock 500s, but, a shotgun is definitely capable of shooting slugs out to 100 yards accurately, as long as the operator is up to task.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have been somewhat surprised at the accuracy of my Mossy 500 short barrel with slugs and a single bead sight. Of course, I'm good for about 6 shots before I'm ready to shoot the .22 a few hundred times, but .66 caliber holes are pretty impressive.

For short range work it is fine. If you really want to have fun get the rifled barrel with scope mount and get some sabot rounds. Mine will shoot 1-2" groups at 100 yards.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Unless a breacher device has been designed to also alter a shotgun's pellet pattern, it will have no effect on a slug. I have seen a co-worker do good work with slugs at 50 yards, with a plain bead-sight barrel. He had to hold low and slightly to one side, if I recall correctly, to hit the X-ring. Only test-firing your individual barrel will show where the point-of-impact will be, in relation your point of aim. His shotgun was a Remington 870, but this holds true for any brand.

Personally, I am a skinny guy, and shotguns knock the snot out of me, so my slug groups have never been anything to brag about. I have not fired slugs through a bead-sighted barrel beyond just a few yards, that I can recall.

Links