A question on tac lights and my shotguns - Page 2

A question on tac lights and my shotguns

This is a discussion on A question on tac lights and my shotguns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I suppose it's only because I'm getting old, senile and gotten brain damaged by too many bullets whizzing by my head in years past; but ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A question on tac lights and my shotguns

I suppose it's only because I'm getting old, senile and gotten brain damaged by too many bullets whizzing by my head in years past; but somehow the combination of "tac light" and "defensive weapon" bring the same thoughts to mind as the combination of "screen doors" and "submarine".

Let's examine the word "defensive" for a second or two. You are NOT a member of a well-organized SWAT or spec-ops team carrying out an orchestrated, advance-planned, pre-rehearsed tactical assualt or "advance and clear" mission upon an unsuspecting target where blazing lights on each weapon not only provides group illumination of the tactical area for quick target identification, but also generates a major element of surprise and total confusion in the enemy camp from being lit-up by so many diverse light sources. Instead, YOU are the surprised target when the sound of breaking glass or a door being kicked open brings you out of a sound sleep and interrupts those surreal dreams that you've just opened a brothel in a mining camp.

OK, so here's an armed intruder suddenly inside your home who's caught you by complete "tactical surprise" - yea, let's try to wake up, grab the nearby handgun, shotgun, bow & arrow or Ethiopian rock launcher, and quickly switch-on our "tactical light" (if I can find the freakin' switch while half-asleep in the dark) so the intruder (already armed and ready to shoot) now has perfect target-identification. Maybe it would be just as well to yell out "HEY, here I am - shoot at the light". Duh????

If you hear a strange noise outside, do you switch on all the internal house lights (to well-illuminate yourself in the process) and try peering out the window into the dark - or do you keep the house dark (to completely hide yourself) and switch on all the outside lights to blind and light-up whatever is outside making the noise? Try remembering that even a SWAT team on a well-planned tactical assualt mission doesn't go charging in with weapon lights blazing without first creating a diversion with flash or concussion grenades to shock the enemy and avert its attention away from the actual assault point of entry.

Now, let's go back to thinking "defensive" when you are the one caught by initial surprise and somehow must give yourself an advantage by turning the tables to (1) shock and surprise the attacker, (2) divert the attacker's attention away from your position, and (3) illumanate the attacker (whomever and wherever they may be) while you remain hidden in the dark. How about eliminating anything that will make you an instant target by stripping all the Rambo tactical lighting crap off your defensive weapon to keep it lean, simple, unencumbered and ready to instantly deploy as fast as you can? How about going to Walmart and getting yourself the best "home defensive" tactical lighting possible for much less than the cheapest weapon light you can buy anywhere?

It's after September, so all the department stores already have their Christmas stuff on display. Go spend $10 for a wireless-remote AC switch to turn on your Christmas lights (with a little remote key-fob) while you're sitting on the couch, sucking down a can of beer, scratching yourself and watching a truly remarkable episode of Dancing With The Stars (gag, puke). (1) Plug the wireless switch into an AC outlet located in a room (kitchen or living room) away from your bedroom, (2) plug a lamp with a bright bulb into the wireless switch, (3) keep the remote key-fob laying on your nightstand in easy reach. You are suddenly awakened by something or someone unexpectedly in the house. You grab the little remote key-fob (attached to or laying next to your defensive weapon) along with the weapon itself. You push the button on the remote which turns on the bright light in the other room. The light suddenly coming on not only shocks and surprises the intruder, but also diverts their attention (and weapon) away from your dark bedroom - while concurrently lighting them up so you can identify "friend or foe" before dropping the hammer on them from the unseen darkness of your defensive position. OK, so a muzzle-flash will light you up and give away your position - they won't hear the shot
    bklynboy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    There's a lot more to proper use of a tactical flashlight - weapon mounted or otherwise - besides simply turning it on to either search or light-up the target.

Proper and quality training, which is even available for a high-drag/low-speed average common civilian like myself, will insure that you not only know how to use the lights that are either in your hand or on your weapon to your best advantage, but will also include advanced tactics of home-protection, such as using both outdoor/security lighting as well as indoor lighting to your defensive advantage.

It's tools-in-the-toolchest.

Knowing how to use the tools properly will give you a decided advantage.

Using the wrong tool at the wrong time for the wrong task? That's your own fault.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    I suppose it's only because I'm getting old, senile and gotten brain damaged by too many bullets whizzing by my head in years past; but somehow the combination of "tac light" and "defensive weapon" bring the same thoughts to mind as the combination of "screen doors" and "submarine".

Let's examine the word "defensive" for a second or two. You are NOT a member of a well-organized SWAT or spec-ops team carrying out an orchestrated, advance-planned, pre-rehearsed tactical assualt or "advance and clear" mission upon an unsuspecting target where blazing lights on each weapon not only provides group illumination of the tactical area for quick target identification, but also generates a major element of surprise and total confusion in the enemy camp from being lit-up by so many diverse light sources. Instead, YOU are the surprised target when the sound of breaking glass or a door being kicked open brings you out of a sound sleep and interrupts those surreal dreams that you've just opened a brothel in a mining camp.

OK, so here's an armed intruder suddenly inside your home who's caught you by complete "tactical surprise" - yea, let's try to wake up, grab the nearby handgun, shotgun, bow & arrow or Ethiopian rock launcher, and quickly switch-on our "tactical light" (if I can find the freakin' switch while half-asleep in the dark) so the intruder (already armed and ready to shoot) now has perfect target-identification. Maybe it would be just as well to yell out "HEY, here I am - shoot at the light". Duh????

If you hear a strange noise outside, do you switch on all the internal house lights (to well-illuminate yourself in the process) and try peering out the window into the dark - or do you keep the house dark (to completely hide yourself) and switch on all the outside lights to blind and light-up whatever is outside making the noise? Try remembering that even a SWAT team on a well-planned tactical assualt mission doesn't go charging in with weapon lights blazing without first creating a diversion with flash or concussion grenades to shock the enemy and avert its attention away from the actual assault point of entry.

Now, let's go back to thinking "defensive" when you are the one caught by initial surprise and somehow must give yourself an advantage by turning the tables to (1) shock and surprise the attacker, (2) divert the attacker's attention away from your position, and (3) illumanate the attacker (whomever and wherever they may be) while you remain hidden in the dark. How about eliminating anything that will make you an instant target by stripping all the Rambo tactical lighting crap off your defensive weapon to keep it lean, simple, unencumbered and ready to instantly deploy as fast as you can? How about going to Walmart and getting yourself the best "home defensive" tactical lighting possible for much less than the cheapest weapon light you can buy anywhere?

It's after September, so all the department stores already have their Christmas stuff on display. Go spend $10 for a wireless-remote AC switch to turn on your Christmas lights (with a little remote key-fob) while you're sitting on the couch, sucking down a can of beer, scratching yourself and watching a truly remarkable episode of Dancing With The Stars (gag, puke). (1) Plug the wireless switch into an AC outlet located in a room (kitchen or living room) away from your bedroom, (2) plug a lamp with a bright bulb into the wireless switch, (3) keep the remote key-fob laying on your nightstand in easy reach. You are suddenly awakened by something or someone unexpectedly in the house. You grab the little remote key-fob (attached to or laying next to your defensive weapon) along with the weapon itself. You push the button on the remote which turns on the bright light in the other room. The light suddenly coming on not only shocks and surprises the intruder, but also diverts their attention (and weapon) away from your dark bedroom - while concurrently lighting them up so you can identify "friend or foe" before dropping the hammer on them from the unseen darkness of your defensive position. OK, so a muzzle-flash will light you up and give away your position - they won't hear the shot
    Sigh, I guess this means I have to rely on my Buck Rogers Decoder Ring. Just when I think I'm getting things right...
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    LED weapon light on a shot gun pretty much requires the use of a remote pressure switch on the forend. It is hard to hold a flash light in one hand and use the weapon with the other.

Almost every resource will tell you that home defense pretty much dictates a good light. With a long gun, it almost has to be mounted on the weapon.

So why are some of you busting his chops over a tactical light?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    LED weapon light on a shot gun pretty much requires the use of a remote pressure switch on the forend. It is hard to hold a flash light in one hand and use the weapon with the other.
    ^ Not necessarily - a well-placed piece of rail or scope-base and even an el-cheapo scope-ring that's of the appropriate diameter (or the flashlight shimmed to-fit), along with a flashlight that has a momentary or even clicky tailcap, can well allow the user to actuate the light with the thumb or other fingers while on the pump or the forend.

RKM
    I think a light with a momentary switch is a must, weapon mounted or handheld.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links