Benelli M1 vs M3 Super 90

This is a discussion on Benelli M1 vs M3 Super 90 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got a Benelli M1 Super 90. What is the difference between this one and the M3? It appears that outwardly the difference is ...

Thread: Benelli M1 vs M3 Super 90

Benelli M1 vs M3 Super 90

I just got a Benelli M1 Super 90. What is the difference between this one and the M3? It appears that outwardly the difference is that the M3 is either pump or semi-auto. Are there any other differences? Which one is preferred by law enforcement?

Thanks
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Beats me , my hd/social shottie is an old cut down browning auto 5 lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

They seem to like the M3 because it can handle "specialty ammunition" that might not be able to cycle on the recoil of the semi-auto. I like my old M121 semi which was the forerunner of the Super 90. I can empty out the 8rd tube before the first hull hits the ground.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I own a M1 Super 90 and it will shoot any load that I have had the privalidge of stuffing in it. My super(past book max)crow loads(1 1/2 oz shot at 1400fps) to the really low powered stuff.

I have never tried it with any "speciality ammo".

The M3 has a pump button,right. Why needed......maybe for a breaching round ?? Surely not for reliablity. My M1S90 has NEVER failed me.-------

I have seen M1's fail to cycle reduced recoil loads, both buckshot and slugs. I highly doubt they would cycle gas rounds.

So what are the do's and don't's with this weapon. I read somewhere that you should not hang a side saddle on it since it is recoil operated and this adds to the weight, which in turn affects the recoil and causes it to jam. Are they that sensitive? To that end, I have a surefire light on the foreend, should I be concerned with that? It seems that as expensive as this shotgun tends to be, it would be more durable than that.

I have always wanted one and just holding it in my hands is pure elation. I can't wait to shoot it and have heard that they cycle extremely fast. I do like low recoil tactial buck-shot, should I stay away from these loads. And, how is the recoil?
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

Exclamation Specialty PD Rounds are Restricted to the LEOs

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6
    I have seen M1's fail to cycle reduced recoil loads, both buckshot and slugs. I highly doubt they would cycle gas rounds.
    I was referring to specialized police loads like pepper or CS or possibly rubber slugs or the bean-bag rounds. For that they prefer the reliability and selectivity of the pump.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Talking Recoil? What recoil?

Quote Originally Posted by estimber
    So what are the do's and don't's with this weapon. I read somewhere that you should not hang a side saddle on it since it is recoil operated and this adds to the weight, which in turn affects the recoil and causes it to jam. Are they that sensitive? To that end, I have a surefire light on the foreend, should I be concerned with that? It seems that as expensive as this shotgun tends to be, it would be more durable than that.

I have always wanted one and just holding it in my hands is pure elation. I can't wait to shoot it and have heard that they cycle extremely fast. I do like low recoil tactial buck-shot, should I stay away from these loads. And, how is the recoil?
    I have never known any of the M1 family or for that matter my OLDER my M121 to be brutal kickers nor have I seen or heard of the malfunctions you refer to in regards to weighty accessories.

I find the recoil in the Benellis to be on the order of a deep SHOVE rather than a sharp buck or punch. Not bad at all. Easily controlled and brought back to point of aim. As I said earlier, I have emptied an eight rd tube before the first hull hit the ground and I was accurate.

How "reduced" are the "reduced" slug and buck loads ????? Are they "reduced" beyond the normal wimpy "reduced" loads that some people feel that they need to shoot cuz the normal loads might hurt a bit. Faster "on target" times will come with more training no matter what loads you shoot.

I guess I never could figure why anyone would want or need reduced power buck or slugs. Simply because of the job that they were designed to do,you would think that a shooter would want the most power possible.

The SWAT and CERT teams that feel the need for some kinda "reduced" load,might oughta think about switching to a 20ga.

As said,my M1S90 will shoot the lowest power loads that I can think of.(1 1/8oz @1145fps)This,with a noticeablly slower cycle rate,but it WILL extract and feed. This is a quite a bit lower powered load than ANY load sold in stores.(that I am aware of)

People that want/need a shotgun to be completely reliable,for use in HD or combat should take a look at the Benelli's.

I have a friend that is using one(in combat overseas) right now with the 14" entry bbl. He took it with him the first time and has since went back for a second "tour" carring the same weapon.

We each have our opinions about shotguns. They are like P/U trucks,especially if you might need to bet your life on them.

I like Toyota's and Benelli's. ----------

I have an M3...it it eats anything/everything. I think they have the pump option to allow the user to switch loads from what is already loaded in the tube magazine.

From a home defense standpoint...after you rank a round by pump (for the dramatic sound--give the BG a moment of pause), you lock it into semi-auto. If the BG is still coming after 7-8 rounds of 00/000 buck, he's earned the right to kick your butt!

Mike in VA

I read an article by Wault Rauch where he listed the mechanical features of the weapon. I was impressed to see (although I have not figured it out yet) the bolt is designed with a "hold open" feature to allow for the changing of rounds depending on the mission.

Can you buy replacement barrels? I would like to convert this to a 14" barrel after getting the appropriate BATF paperwork completed. If you cut the barrel down, does it affect the recoil? Do you have to replace springs or anything like that?

You(IMO) cannot cut the bbl effectively. It's chrome lined. But you can buy a 14"entry bbl streight from Benelli,CDNN,and several others.

When changing from the normal length bbl to the 14",nothing else needed. Take one off......put the other on. The 5 shot mag tube will work with the 14" entry bbl also.

I have only changed out a few items in all the time that I have owned the weapon and in all the thousands of rds. that I have put thru it.

Inertia Spring>>have changed twice(very low cost) Firing Pin Spring>>changed twice(very,very low cost)Extractor Spring>>changed twice(price of a pack of gum)Hammer Spring>>changed once(really cheap) and the O-Ring that goes on the Firing Pin RetainingPin>>changed 3 times.(cost almost nutin')

All these items can be had from Brownell's. (EVERYBODY's gotta have a Brownell's catalog.) All the above parts from Brownell's are OEM also. There are lots of aftermarket parts for the black Benelli's. CDNN used to have a few mag tubes,mag springs,stocks,and bbls.--------

I would add (having had both the M1 and M3), the stainless spring tube, if you shoot much. Just a little more "surety"...

Links