Self Defense Ammo for .223?

This is a discussion on Self Defense Ammo for .223? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Fixed!...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Self Defense Ammo for .223?

Fixed!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

Geez - I'm getting too old to remember all this stuff. If this twist rate, use this bullet, unless it is copper, blah blah blah. If you need to go through barriers, use that bullet, yadda yadda yadda... What if the situation changes, and I've got the "wrong" bullet?!

My Mini 14 ain't going nowhere, but I'm really learning to like my old-tech (and inexpensive) .30-30. A 170 or 150 gr JSP solves all these issues rather nicely.

As I get older, I'm starting to like bullets that are like me - slower and heavier.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; October 20th, 2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

RKM
    I wish I could find 75gr TAP in 5.56. I have it in .223. I've read that the 75gr TAP in 5.56 is superior to the Mk262.

As far as twist rates, most defensive encounters won't be far enough for bullet weight and barrel twist to matter. If you're really planning on civilian defensive situations to stretch further than 100 yards, then yeah, it'll make a difference. However, if you're looking to use this as close quarters defense inside the home, I don't see it to be an issue.

I lied, I can find 75gr TAP in 5.56, but it's too expensive.
    Hornady LE T2 TAP 75gr 556 NATO at G&R Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Fixed!
    Now you have it quoted wrong! Haha... He should have said "can't get it wrong" but with the way he pronounces things and misquotes things, it's not a surprise.. That quote, the right one, actually comes from somewhere else, just not sure where. I'll Google it if I remember...

I liked it the way you had it the first time since that's correct, at least for Chris. He's the type of guy that will say something like ep-ah-tome instead of epitome (ih-pit-uh-mee).
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

As I get older, I'm starting to like bullets that are like me - slower and heavier.
    I've always liked the heavier, slower bullets as well... With the new barrier blind rounds, lighter is good and somewhere around 62 or 70 is the best all around choice in most cases. You could load your rifle with any of the barrier blind loads and really not come across a situation it couldn't handle. The only reason I'd choose 75 grain TAP now is if I'm concerned about over penetration since a fragmenting round won't penetrate nearly as many walls, but that's not really my concern.

Especially in an SBR or rural environments with longer shots, the barrier blind loads are quickly rising to the top choice. Load it up with these and drive on regardless of the situation.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I wish I could find 75gr TAP in 5.56. I have it in .223. I've read that the 75gr TAP in 5.56 is superior to the Mk262.

As far as twist rates, most defensive encounters won't be far enough for bullet weight and barrel twist to matter. If you're really planning on civilian defensive situations to stretch further than 100 yards, then yeah, it'll make a difference. However, if you're looking to use this as close quarters defense inside the home, I don't see it to be an issue.

75 grain TAP is a bit better than mk262. 318 SOST is proving itself as well. There's a shop in Idaho a buddy frequents that has TSX bullets and pulled 318 bullets for next to nothing. I'm going to be picking p a good handful soon and loading them hot.

For example, the 5.56 75 grain TAP has a consistent max effective range around 50 meters while the 223 loading is around 35 or so. The 5.56 also uses a T2 bullet which has a better ballistic coefficient and sheds yaws and fragments sooner and more reliably. Too bad they're so hard to find at good prices. Personally, I don't think I'll be buying much more with all the barrier blind loads out there with superior ballistics. A lot of great options now.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post

There ya go!

Ammunition To Go : 200rds - 5.56 Nato Hornady Superformance 75gr. Boattail Hollow Point Ammo [81264] - $194.95

Ammunition To Go : 20rds - 223 Hornady Superformance 75gr. Boattail Hollow Point Match Ammo [80264] - $17.95

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Now you have it quoted wrong! Haha... He should have said "can't get it wrong" but with the way he pronounces things and misquotes things, it's not a surprise.. That quote, the right one, actually comes from somewhere else, just not sure where. I'll Google it if I remember...

I liked it the way you had it the first time since that's correct, at least for Chris. He's the type of guy that will say something like ep-ah-tome instead of epitome (ih-pit-uh-mee).
    Haha, I see. I think I like it this way better, though!

my 1/9 savage will shoot 40gr vmax to 80gr SMK all day under 1moa

also,

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/829...case-box-of-50

Hornady Steel Match Ammunition 223 Remington 75 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail Steel Case Box of 50

$21.99

That's not TAP though. The 5.56 TAP is legal to own but not supposed to be distributed to anyone but LE or military, kind of like Ranger T Series ammunition and HST.

The 5.56 TAP is in the link from RKM.

TAP (tactical application police) and 223 FPD (for personal defense) are loaded different and use a different bullet. Really great stuff and at the top of the fragmenting food chain. It's about $30 to $35 per 20 round box.

Here's a good thread on the differences between TAP 5.56 and FPD 223 - Hornady 5.56 TAP versus TAP FPD (Heavy OTM Thread) - AR15.Com Mobile

Administrator
    The early GALIL rifles featured a 1/12 twist rate best suited for M193 55 grain ball ammo. Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    That's not TAP though. The 5.56 TAP is legal to own but not supposed to be distributed to anyone but LE or military, kind of like Ranger T Series ammunition and HST.

The 5.56 TAP is in the link from RKM.

TAP (tactical application police) and 223 FPD (for personal defense) are loaded different and use a different bullet. Really great stuff and at the top of the fragmenting food chain. It's about $30 to $35 per 20 round box.
    How about this link for 75 gr TAP from the same distributor?

Ammunition To Go : 200rds - .223 Hornady TAP LEO 75gr. HP Ammo [80265] - $174.95
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    How about this link for 75 gr TAP from the same distributor?

Ammunition To Go : 200rds - .223 Hornady TAP LEO 75gr. HP Ammo [80265] - $174.95
    That's it, though it's not the 5.56 so it'll have a velocity about 200 fps less... and a good price as well. If its for home defense the 223 will be fine. Given the choice, I'd always take the 5.56, but the 223 will serve anyone well in CQB situations.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    The M&P sport has a 1-8 progressive R5 twist rifleing. It will shoot about anything you load in it well. Go to your gun shop and buy what even sp ammo they have. It will work just fine at house distance. Many brands sell for 17 to 22 dollars.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links