AR-15 brand recommendations

This is a discussion on AR-15 brand recommendations within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is your actual budget for this gun....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: AR-15 brand recommendations

VIP Member
    What is your actual budget for this gun.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    After shooting a friends M&P15 sport I went down an ordered one. Friends rifle had a 2.5 to 10 power scope on it and sub 1" 100 yard groups were very doable even with the trigger it has with some federal match ammo. Price for mine is 595 dollars when it comes in at our local general store/giun shop. Read the latest reviews also. For a basic rifle it does have some features that costlier guns don't have. And the 1-8 progressive twist R5 barrel is a bonus . I does seem to shoot bullet weight from 52gr to 74gr well.

Budget is around $1000. I was in a Wal-Mart the other night and they had a Bushmaster for $899, but nobody has mentioned them yet. My intended use would be targets with the family (young but getting close to that age), possible home defense (but honestly, if I had to defend against less than 20 ppl [Armageddon] I would probably pull the M1 Garand out first), and because they are cool and alot of neat accessories are avaliable that I never had in the service that I want to know more about. I have a Colt SP-1 that is my collector's/this is what I used gun, but I would like something that the family can use. I mentioned that I'm not interested in options yet because I believe in iron sights first, and I want a chance to see some others on the range and find out what would work for us, not just buying stuff all willy nilly.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    In 2009, I bought a Rock River Arms LAR-15 "Entry Tactical" semiautomatic M-4 style rifle chambered in 5.56/.223 for $880. To this day, I still have it and I have already fired over 4,000 rds. without a single hiccup or malfunction. I use only GI issued mags too and my usual loads are either PMC or American Eagle FMJs in 5.56mm although I have also fired the same brands in .223 Remington. And whatever AR brand you choose, always buy extra parts too (bolts/gas rings/bolt carrier/extractors/firing pins/etc.)

I went with the RRA lower with the Timney match trigger set, and the BCM upper that has a 1-9 twist, chrome lined barrel and bore, with the Vikings Tactical handguard. Put UTG (I know, cheap, but they work just fine) flip up rear and front sights, and it's pretty accurate at 100 yards. Got the Tapco sling for it, not in the picture. I purchased the Brownells .22lr conversion kit for it, and am having some FTF, Stovepiping going on, I think it's just not broke in yet, and that maybe I didn't lube it well enough, but when it works, shooting sub-sonic .22lr, you hear the bolt move, and the round slap the target, and that's it. When I am in the market for another AR, I will probably just buy a whole gun from BCM, they are fantastic. Please forgive the crappy resolution pic, 1st generation Droid smartphone pic is all I can muster. ar-15.jpg

BaldSasq and Blackheart6 like this.

DPMS Sportical. Great price. About $600. Dependable. Easily upgradeable. I know for a fact it will destroy coyotes at 200 yards.

Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I want to purchase an AR and have narrowed my search down to the S&W M&P 15 sport and the Rock River LAR-15 CAR A4. I'm able to purchase these from a dealer who only sells to LEO and Military. The S&W is $300 cheaper than the RR. I have no idea why the price difference. Is the RR worth the additional $300? Any insight is appreciated.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Research the chart, for your budget +/- $100. Daniel Defense, Bravo Company and Colt. The PSA quality seems good but their potential customer service issues would keep me from buying until maybe they mature into their business.

Just get the Colt and be done with it. You can't go wrong there.
    OD* likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I chose Del-ton ( M4 Rifle Kits, AR 15 Kits, Gun Kits | Del Ton Rifles from Del-Ton, Inc. ) While they may not be top of the line best available kit out there they are, in my opinion, a great value. I have had no problems with mine nor have I heard of any problems with anyone's I know. Worth a look if your looking for a reliable value that you can build yourself.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart6 View Post
    Budget is around $1000. I was in a Wal-Mart the other night and they had a Bushmaster for $899, but nobody has mentioned them yet. My intended use would be targets with the family (young but getting close to that age), possible home defense (but honestly, if I had to defend against less than 20 ppl [Armageddon] I would probably pull the M1 Garand out first), and because they are cool and alot of neat accessories are avaliable that I never had in the service that I want to know more about. I have a Colt SP-1 that is my collector's/this is what I used gun, but I would like something that the family can use. I mentioned that I'm not interested in options yet because I believe in iron sights first, and I want a chance to see some others on the range and find out what would work for us, not just buying stuff all willy nilly.
    With the colt being available for just a few dollars more, the Bushy would be the last one on my mind. However, if the bushy is all you can afford and there is no chance of going with a higher quality MFG. It is an acceptable sport/plinker and can be fussed over a bit and brought up to higher standard with a little care and a few extra dollars at a later date. There are more than a few folks out there who run theirs hard and haven't had any problems. But then there are the multitude of horror stories from instructors that would lead you to believe that Bush Master, DPMS and CMMG are the cause of every class delay and can't run without malfunctioning at the worst opportunity.

I would wait and get the Colt even if it takes a while to save the extra $.
    $0.02
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

A Bushmaster for $899, or a Colt http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ction&key=6920 for $990.

Seems like a no-brainer.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'd definitely go with the Colt. I have no use right now for another 14.5" or 16" standard rifle, but am thinking of picking one up anyway since they're such a good rifle at a great price right now.

Remember, the Bushmaster locally for $900 will run you around $960 or so with tax while there won't be any tax if you order the Colt online. There will be an ffl fee though, but that varies from $10 to $50... $40 - $50 if you are unfortunate enough to live in Corpus Christi. I get them for $30, which is still ridiculous. Anyway, you get the idea. The difference is a little less than the $83 or so due to tax. The Colt is definitely worth $50 more considering people used to buy them for up to $1,400 not long ago.

By the way, I appreciate your honesty with the intended use of your rifle, OP. I'm sure a Bushmaster would be fine for your needs, but it's still (now more so than before) considered a commercial grade weapon compared to Colt's 6920 which is a professional grade weapon. Though they appear very similar, the Colt will have better quality control and higher quality components. To some, it might not matter, but personally I've had bad experiences with my Bushmasters years ago.

I'm mentioned it before, but I sheared a bolt lug off around 1,000 rounds in the first month I owned it. When talking to customer service and before telling them the amount of time I had owned it, they told me I must have exceeded the recommended firing schedule and there was nothing they could do for me. That's enough for me to never buy another. Luckily I learned a lot more after that and focused on spending my money a little more wisely. Funny thing was that I owned a Colt at the time but didn't really understand the difference. This was maybe 7 years ago.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; October 22nd, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    Cant argue with the logic above.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links