AR-15 brand recommendations - Page 3

AR-15 brand recommendations

This is a discussion on AR-15 brand recommendations within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So-you-want-to-buy-an-AR-15-huh?...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: AR-15 brand recommendations

PB2

@jonconsiglio thanks for the post. I'm very new to all of this so opinions like yours is very helpful.

I'm a disabled vet so dollars are an issue. Primary intent for purchasing an AR -- SHTF situation. No matter what I purchase I will do the break in then spend a few hundred rounds getting familiar with the weapon. Then, every month I plan to go shoot a hundred rounds or so just to keep the memory.

I'm able to purchase these from a dealer who only sells to LEO and Military. I can purchase a S&W M&P sport for $520 or a Rock River LAR-15 CAR A4 for $825. I have no idea why the price difference. In view of my need/want is the Colt that much better than the S&W or RR? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    @jonconsiglio thanks for the post. I'm very new to all of this so opinions like yours is very helpful.

I'm a disabled vet so dollars are an issue. Primary intent for purchasing an AR -- SHTF situation. No matter what I purchase I will do the break in then spend a few hundred rounds getting familiar with the weapon. Then, every month I plan to go shoot a hundred rounds or so just to keep the memory.

I'm able to purchase these from a dealer who only sells to LEO and Military. I can purchase a S&W M&P sport for $520 or a Rock River LAR-15 CAR A4 for $825. I have no idea why the price difference. In view of my need/want is the Colt that much better than the S&W or RR? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
    Any time a rifle is purchased for defense of life, I think it's worth the extra money. give me a minute to look for something I've posted before... If I can't find it I'll post something similar to answer your question..
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Moderator
    So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

This is one of the best, most complete writeups on the internet and probably should be stickied for this question that seems to be constant here.

Read it and learn.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ To supplement that:

jonconsiglio's posts in this thread - Best Value 5.56 Rifle - here on DC.com very nicely summarizes the critical points found in the 80-odd page "So you want to buy an AR" thread on Officer.com (which is mirrored elsewhere throughout the online gun-community).

Let jonconsiglio's post be your springboard. It'll save you a few hours of reading, and give you a good primer that will serve you well as you delve deeper into this wonderfully addicting topic.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Any time a rifle is purchased for defense of life, I think it's worth the extra money. give me a minute to look for something I've posted before... If I can't find it I'll post something similar to answer your question..
    Thanks! I really appreciate your time.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Thanks! I really appreciate your time.
    The link from earlier, the link that TSiWRX posted (Best Value 5.56 Rifle) and the thread I posted abut rob_s' new chart which is stickied at the top of the rifle sub forum.

After reading those three threads/posts, head over to m4carbine.net and AR15.com and become a member. Research is the key. On AR15.com, so wouldn't venture past the sticky threads. There's a ton of noise there and so very many members there with no experience that just like to see their post count get higher. I mean, it's really bad there opif you read through it. m4carbine is a great site with a lot of experience. The industry professionals and SME's (subject matter experts) are chosen and vetted before getting those titles where on AR15.com it seems if you donate a little money you could change your title to whatever you want. There's very little patience on m4carbine. At first it can be off putting, but many Of the members are professionals and though they're their to kill time and just for something to do, they're also offering their time to answer questions free of charge. You'll see people like Jason Falla, Larry Vickers, the Grey Group guys, Trey Knight III from Knight's Armament, etc. they're on the other site as well, but most take m4carbine more seriously, just look at the comment made by Larry Vickers abut AR15.com n me of his training videos... I forget exactly what he said, but it was pretty funny.

There's anther forum that a few guys started that were tired of the nonsense. It's a serious forum geared more towards shooting than the gear, though obviously still abut gear. It started abut 18 months ago and I quickly became a member but completely forgot about it until Rob S mentioned it to me a few weeks ago. Good stuff so far, it's just quiet since its so new.

Www.firearmstrainingandtactics.com

There's a ton of good info out there, just be sure you understand who the member is that's giving it.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; October 22nd, 2011 at 07:42 PM.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I couldn't agree more, as I literally just went through the process of buying my first rifle about a month ago after more than a year of research.

My conclusion? I didn't want to settle, so I traded in a couple safe guns and upgraded to an LWRC M6A3. LWRC International LLC - M6A3

It put a serious hole in my pocket, but I believe it will be worth it in the long run.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

The link from earlier, the link that TSiWRX posted (Best Value 5.56 Rifle) and the thread I posted abut rob_s' new chart which is stickied at the top of the rifle sub forum.

After reading those three threads/posts, head over to m4carbine.net and AR15.com and become a member. Research is the key. On AR15.com, so wouldn't venture past the sticky threads. There's a ton of noise there and so very many members there with no experience that just like to see their post count get higher. I mean, it's really bad there opif you read through it. m4carbine is a great site with a lot of experience. The industry professionals and SME's (subject matter experts) are chosen and vetted before getting those titles where on AR15.com it seems if you donate a little money you could change your title to whatever you want. There's very little patience on m4carbine. At first it can be off putting, but many Of the members are professionals and though they're their to kill time and just for something to do, they're also offering their time to answer questions free of charge. You'll see people like Jason Falla, Larry Vickers, the Grey Group guys, Trey Knight III from Knight's Armament, etc. they're on the other site as well, but most take m4carbine more seriously, just look at the comment made by Larry Vickers abut AR15.com n me of his training videos... I forget exactly what he said, but it was pretty funny.

There's anther forum that a few guys started that were tired of the nonsense. It's a serious forum geared more towards shooting than the gear, though obviously still abut gear. It started abut 18 months ago and I quickly became a member but completely forgot about it until Rob S mentioned it to me a few weeks ago. Good stuff so far, it's just quiet since its so new.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting

There's a ton of good info out there, just be sure you understand who the member is that's giving it.
    Thank you sir! I've read a lot of articles and will continue to do so. My inexperience and limited knowledge of firearms is a hinderance.

I've tried to be honest with myself regarding why I need an AR and what I plan to use it for. My primary use is for SHTF. Therefore, I must get familiar with whatever AR I purchase. Additionally, I must keep within my budget and not exceed $900.

Now, back to research.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    I couldn't agree more, as I literally just went through the process of buying my first rifle about a month ago after more than a year of research.

My conclusion? I didn't want to settle, so I traded in a couple safe guns and upgraded to an LWRC M6A3. LWRC International LLC - M6A3

It put a serious hole in my pocket, but I believe it will be worth it in the long run.
    I would love to purchase an LWRC or FNH SCAR. My budget, however, will not permit. At 64, I realize this will be a once and done purchase. Practice is necessary. As noted above, my primary reason for purchasing an AR -- SHTF! Hopefully, that will not be necessary. It has taken me 64 years to get here but the way the country and the world are moving I'd rather be prepared than not.

...but the way the country and the world are moving I'd rather be prepared than not.
    I couldn't agree more. That's actually one of the reasons I finally put the money down for one as I had already decided on the M6A3 six months ago. I got it just in time to do a couple training sessions with the Doug in my signature, and then Magpul Dynamics (Chris Costa) has a Carbine class in Tucson in two weekends that I'll be attending. It was "now or never," ya know?
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I would love to purchase an LWRC or FNH SCAR. My budget, however, will not permit. At 64, I realize this will be a once and done purchase. Practice is necessary. As noted above, my primary reason for purchasing an AR -- SHTF! Hopefully, that will not be necessary. It has taken me 64 years to get here but the way the country and the world are moving I'd rather be prepared than not.
    I had a long reply typed out but this stupid iPad wiped it out when I switched between windows....

Anyway, I have 2 SCARs and an LWRC PSD 8". They're fine weapons but I'll take my 14.5" BCM barreled AR any day. Just my preference.

If I had a budget of less than $1,000, here's what I'd buy. I'd go with a Bravo Co 16" mid length with a fixed front sight block and a BCM m16 bolt carrier group. The important distinctions here are the mid length gas system as opposed to carbine gas system and the m16 bolt carrier group instead of the AR15 semi auto bolt carrier group. I'd most likely go with the standard upper instead of the cold hammer forged since many won't see the difference.

For the lower, I'd personally go with a BCM or Noveske with a Colt lower parts group and a Vltor A5 receiver extension with a SOPMOD or Vltor iMod stock.... BUT, in this case I'd recommend a complete lower from PSA with the standard m4 stock and make sure it includes an H buffer. Form there, you have a complete rifle for a great price that will rival those from other highly regarded manufacturers.

BCM 16" mid length standard upper receiver group - BCM 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group

Magpul MOE black mid length hand guard - http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpu...g418%20blk.htm

PSA complete lower receiver - http://palmettostatearmory.com/1726.php

BCM M16 Bolt Carrier group - http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...0auto%20mp.htm

Gunfighter Charging Handle (I use the Mod 4, but the smaller Mod 5 is nice too) - http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGU...ndle-s/123.htm

LMT fixed rear sight (these can be found for much less if you search) - http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LMT-T...ight%20l8a.htm

You could be right around $900 if you go with a cheaper rear sight like a carry handle, fixed Daniel Defense or a Magpul folding rear and a regular charging handle instead of the Gunfigher. Remember there won't be tax if you order online from a place out of your state. Only the lower needs to ship to an FFL, all else to you and the transfer fee depends on your local shops pricing.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; October 23rd, 2011 at 01:35 AM.
    DefConGun and Blackheart6 like this.

VIP Member
    OP, take a few moments to calm down and not get swept away. Take the time to decide how much this gun will actually be shot. The reality of the situation is that you may not need a super top end AR15.

I have a S&W M&P 15 that I bought for $650 a few years ago that is 100%. It shoots great and has held up well for me. It doesn't, nor will it ever, see the type of abuse that Jon Consiglio puts his guns through. My M&P may only see in a year the round count that Jon's equipment sees in a week.

If (like most folks) you don't expext to shoot 3 thousand rounds in a month then a Bushmaster or a Rock River (or M&P, Stag or whatever) entry level gun might be OK for you. The catch here is to make sure you aren't paying top tier prices for an entry level gun. If you have the cash available and you are willing to shop around (and wait for a deal) you should be able to find a Bushy, M&P or similar type AR for around $700 or less. I also suggest you look into a S&W M&P15 sport. They can be had for around $500 but have a few less bells and whistles.

The key is to know what you really need. Then to shop hard, have the cash ready to go and know what features you are willing to pay for.

Good luck!
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you have the cash available and you are willing to shop around (and wait for a deal) you should be able to find a Bushy, M&P or similar type AR for around $750 or less.
    Very true.

I saw a Rock Rivers Arms at Bud's the other day for like $560.00. This wasn't some used gun that had been drug through the mud and stored in the back of a pick-up truck without a case or anything like that. This is a New In the Box (NIB) gun. I don't even know how they sell one so cheap. I don't even think you could build one that cheap.

VIP Member
    I saw a Rock Rivers Arms at Bud's the other day for like $560.00
    OP, I would guess that this AR would end up costing about $610 after shipping and FFL fees. That is quite a bit cheaper than a Bravo Company or a Colt. Would you rather have a Colt? Or would you rather have an extra $450 bucks left over to buy mags and ammo? That is what you need to decide because there are deals out there waiting for you.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links