AR-15 brand recommendations

This is a discussion on AR-15 brand recommendations within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by atctimmy The catch here is to make sure you aren't paying top tier prices for an entry level gun. .... The key ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: AR-15 brand recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The catch here is to make sure you aren't paying top tier prices for an entry level gun.....

The key is to know what you really need. Then to shop hard, have the cash ready to go and know what features you are willing to pay for.
    ^ This.

You either need to be decently knowledgeable with respect to the basics or you need to spend some time to get yourself up-to-speed.

I had started saving my cash, but I was able to put off the purchase by shunting that money towards other "wants." It's only when the right deal came along - at a time when I thought that my basic knowledge was sufficient - that I diverted that saved cash and made an earlier-than-anticipated purchase. Originally, my plan had been to put off my AR purchase for at least a year, so I could really research. I was about 4 months into the homework at the time; the right deal came along, my cash fund was sufficient, and I had enough knowledge to know what I was putting money down for.

-----

@ jonconsiglio, thank you for building my next AR for me.

2. Remove Ads

OP, I would guess that this AR would end up costing about $610 after shipping and FFL fees. That is quite a bit cheaper than a Bravo Company or a Colt. Would you rather have a Colt? Or would you rather have an extra $450 bucks left over to buy mags and ammo? That is what you need to decide because there are deals out there waiting for you.
    I understand what you're saying here and though I'd suggest going with PSA over a Bushmaster or S&W, I'd still find these acceptable after some minor changes. I would never suggest a DPMS for any reason though, or would I suggest Olympic.

I guess this comes down to budget. If I have enough money that spending an extra $250 to $300 won't affect my purchase of mags, ammo and traning, then I'd absolutely get the Colt or BCM...or still the PSA possibly with the good stuff I'm heating sout them. If my budget was tight and that extra couple hundred would stop me from getting to the range as often with it, then the less expensive option is the way to go.

This is just me but if it's a plinking rifle that will see no serious use and will only come out occasionally, I'd rather wait and save the extra to buy the BCM, Colt or similar than have it now and buy a rifle that's just ok. But again, that's just for me and I'm basing that on the experiences I had with the commercial grade rifles I owned and the professional grade rifles I owned. Remember, I did always run my rifles hard so I can relate on both ends of this discussion.

Regardless of use, PSA is really looking like a good option. They deserve a serious look from both hobby and professional shooters and I know I'll be buying a stripped lower or two relatively soon. For $70 and in spec, that's very hard to beat. My Noveskes were both just under $200, though they MSRP higher. The blem'd Noveskes are still about $175 I think.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

OD*
    Buy the very best you can first, as my old man always said, "Buy once, cry once."
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post

No problem, always happy to help.. ;) I think I built one of my next ones as well!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Story...advice in there somewhere..... from a fellow that was just in your boat.

It was a two year "project" mainly researching here, and M4 forum following advice that was given to others that asked while I lurked and read. My needs, my wants, what use is it going to fill, my budget.

My budget consisted of selling some of my current possesions to fund the project..So Ebay and Craigslist were my firends...plus gunshows to sell off parts.

Always hitting the gunshows to find a deal.....well I finally had the cash..that's right CASH! Big 'ol wad of it..oh how I wanted to spend it on "other stuff" held firm.

So I ordered a Dissipator upper (I love the setup of rifle sights, forearms on a carbine barrel) from PSA...it fit the bill in value, specs. BCM didn't offer a Dissy, nor had what I wanted in stock...like ever, and didn't offer the BCG or chargin handle in the "complete" uppers.

Well I let that sit around for a good while while I shopped for a lower....was hard for me to find what I "wanted" but couldn't settle on what I "needed".

Just this past gun show I happened on a Noveske stripped lower for 125 (tax included) in a sea of RRA, STAG, Spikes lowers. Had the CASH and picked it up. Then a few more vendors down actually found a Daniel Defense LPK (lower Parts Kit), and a VLTOR BCM gunfighter Mod4 in a sea of two stage RRA, Stag LPK's, no-name AR parts and other..."stuff". Picked up that DD for 60 bucks flat, and the charging handle for 30 flat.

BOY was I glad it worked out for me the way it did. Waiting, paitently lurking for sales, deal breaks in prices on certain products that are recommend from shooters like jon, Atctimmy and a few others "in the know" on this and other boards FINALLY paid off... FINALLY, two years!.

Over all just the AR ran me a little under $800...that left me $350 more dollars to get my mags, ammo, light and other gear associated with owning, shooting, and maintaining an AR.

Pick your battles, and be paitent.

OP your doing good researching, asking your self real questions, and taking adivce in a good way.

Frogbones.... Where are the pics?!

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Buy the very best you can first, as my old man always said, "Buy once, cry once."
    Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Frogbones.... Where are the pics?!
    Oh, and that is one crispy trigger!

heh...ok:

jonconsiglio and DefConGun like this.

VIP Member
    Nice Frogbones!

@ Jon: My BCM DM upper has a PSA lower on it. It shoots like a dream. If I were looking to build a value gun I would go PSA all the way.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Never seen or handled PSA gear but sounds like you guys think it's on par with BCM so I guess I'll have to check them out.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Nice Frogbones!

@ Jon: My BCM DM upper has a PSA lower on it. It shoots like a dream. If I were looking to build a value gun I would go PSA all the way.
    Good.. I'm definitely buying a PSA lower or two soon. not sure what upper to put on it, but I'm sure I'll think of something.

VIP Member
    No, I don't put PSA on par with BCM but for the money they seem to have a lot of value.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

PSA might be on par when it comes to specs...but it has to prove it's self like BCM has, in build quality (so far, it's good), customer service, robustness in thier products (so far it's good)...that takes time, and people shooting it.

No problem, always happy to help.. ;) I think I built one of my next ones as well!
    Way ahead of you guys

Already have a PSA lower in my possession
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

RKM
    ...I'd suggest going with PSA over a Bushmaster or S&W, I'd still find these acceptable after some minor changes.
    What minor changes would you suggest? The only thing I've really thought about changing on mine was maybe going to a complete BCM BCG. Even so I don't feel like it's completely necessary that I MUST change it, I'd still like to in the near future. And once the barrel wears out, change that to whatever I deem to be acceptable or good at the time that it finally wears out. But I have time, and don't see the need to change the barrel right now. I'm already using a DD 12.0 Omega X because my YHM flip up sight caused my to break my OE Troy handguard. Yeah... The standard A2 front sight went right back on.

I'm not extremely rough on my rifles. They're mainly used on the range, as it's not often I need to use them for defense :) But home defense is the primary reason I have my rifles.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links