PSA having/had an issue just letting you know how they handled it.

This is a discussion on PSA having/had an issue just letting you know how they handled it. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Browseing AR15.com found two threads from two different people whom received new uppers from PSA that had the wrong gas tube. They fired it and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gene83

Thread: PSA having/had an issue just letting you know how they handled it.

PSA having/had an issue just letting you know how they handled it.

Browseing AR15.com found two threads from two different people whom received new uppers from PSA that had the wrong gas tube.

They fired it and it didn't eject caseing. Now if it was me I would've noticed as soon as it was lifted out of the box, as I inspect, clean and lube my weapons before firing ESPECIALLY if they're new to my possesion. I've only been into AR's just a little more than two years!

I can understand the frustration and scorn I saw in the related post from members.

HOWEVER, Palmetto chimed in a very short length of time considering these threads were made evening of yesterday.

This is from Palmetto

" Thank you for the post and the responses.

We at Palmetto State Armory take building AR's seriously and are conducting an investigation. We have QC in place to make sure all uppers are assembled correctly, and we record who makes what and when. There are 6 different checks in the QC process dealing with the gas tube, so the QC process was obviously ignored. When we ascertain who let these ship, they will be working elsewhere.

We believe there were only a few of these, but we ask that customers who have this issue contact customer service immediately to have a call tag issued. Customers with this issue will be compensated for the inconvenience with 5 free PSA D&H magazines.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
    "

Link to threads:Wrong gas tube? - Page 1 - AR15.COM
    ordered complete upper; gas tube does not enter upper - Page 1 - AR15.COM

Fine job PSA!

I'm pretty sure those two uppers came from the same person that was either swamped, mad, or just didn't know what they are doing.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Anytime humans are involved, you can bet there is a strong likelihood that they'll eventually screw something up.

The best PSA can do is make it right, find the problem and correct that as well. It sounds like they are doing all three. I've been meaning to visit their shop the next time that I'm up that way.

It's not a matter of "if" errors will occur, it's a matter of how many, and a good Co... will take care of the issue. A "Great " company, will do what PSA is doing.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Administrator
    "There are 6 different checks in the QC process dealing with the gas tube, so the QC process was obviously ignored."

If 6 different, individual, QC checks on just the gas tube were ignored then I'm best guessing that the entire Quality Control system was totally ignored.

They record who makes what and when? They do?

If that was true they should have been able to instantly ascertain who flubbed the gas tubes and those persons should already be gone.

I'm calling it a very well constructed Cover Your Ass letter for a complete lack of QC.

Just my personal opinion on that.

If somebody died due to a weapon malf would 5 free magazines cover it?

I'm having a hard time with this one. I was thinking of picking me up soon, but now I'm not 100% sure. Though I have extra parts here and know how to work on a rifle, I'd rather not have to when buying a complete upper.

As a business owner though, I understand that mistakes happen and we walk a thin line when trying to make it right yet cover our asses. I'd guess they don't have the quality control measures they say they do, they hired completely incompetent assembly line workers or there was some malicious intent involved with a disgruntled employee. I don't mean some conspiracy like some other goofball mentioned, I just mean someone that didn't get their way and quite caring about their performance. Not that it's likely, but it does happen unfortunately.

The difference here isn't that the problem occurred, but that it made it out the door. These things surely happen every day, we just don't see it it due to quality control.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    It's a short statement but, everything about it conflicts with the truth.

Example:
    We believe there were only a few of these,..............

"and we record who makes what and when."

Well, if you really DO record who makes what and when then you wouldn't have to "believe" anything.
    You would KNOW (because it would be documented) exactly how many there were and you would have already contacted the dealers that they were shipped to & requested a recall.

Obviously the SIX different Quality Control checks that they have for just the gas tube would not be only one person checking each gas tube 6 different times... so more than one person (possibly as many as 6 employees) either totally ignored their Quality Control measures or do not know what gas tube belongs on what upper.

Which is worse?

I understand that boo-boos can and do happen but, I hate it when people try to stealthily BS their way out of it and then end it with an apology.

I'd rather just hear "Hey, we screwed up big time and I'll personally see to it that won't ever happen again."

OK, I read both posts and it looks to me like both people went on the internet before calling Palmetto State Armory. Both stated that they would call the company tomorrow...after they had already posted. So, PSA's first hint that there is a problem is that it's posted on the internet. Right now, they don't even know which two particular uppers are involved or who bought them or when they were manufactured, so how do you ascertain which employee screwed it up on that short of a notice?

Obviously PSA is scrambling to control the internet spread of this thing as quickly as they can. I can't really fault them for that.

It would be nice if people would call the company and give them a chance to rectify the problem before taking it to the internet, but apparently that's not the way the game is played anymore.
    Cattus Vir likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If somebody died due to a weapon malf would 5 free magazines cover it?
    If someone purchased an upper or a complete rifle and put it into duty/self defense rotation without having inspected and insured that the kit was fully functional their demise would be on their own head.

I've used PSA components and uppers and found the quality to be 1st rate, PSA gets a from me.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

QKShooter, I definitely agree with your point. It was mentioned in the AR15.com thread that PSA has a tendency of "cleaning up" their sub forum of negative posts.

The 6 quality controls on the gas tube is odd and I can't imagine them being done by the same guy. According to them, they nly batch test fire their uppers. They said now they'd fire each off site until their testing area is completed in the next couple weeks.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    OK, I read both posts and it looks to me like both people went on the internet before calling Palmetto State Armory. Both stated that they would call the company tomorrow...after they had already posted. So, PSA's first hint that there is a problem is that it's posted on the internet. Right now, they don't even know which two particular uppers are involved or who bought them or when they were manufactured, so how do you ascertain which employee screwed it up on that short of a notice?

Obviously PSA is scrambling to control the internet spread of this thing as quickly as they can. I can't really fault them for that.

It would be nice if people would call the company and give them a chance to rectify the problem before taking it to the internet, but apparently that's not the way the game is played anymore.
    That's what I mentioned in my OP, is that these threads were made on a Sunday night, so PSA rep gets to work Monday morning....checks the forums around 9-10am and sees this after one of the buisiest forums about AR's has had more than 12 hours to spread this like wild fire.

I'm sure PSA rep, types up the response and sent the word out "guys we got us a big problem we need to fix" all within minutes after getting wind of this. SO I don't really think the response from PSA is total BS. taking into account on when this was brought to the surface and how fast PSA caught onto it....less than 24hrs is darn good coming off a weekend.

Later in the day PSA responed how they are makeing it a reality on fireing those involved, and mentioned how they're cronstructing thier own fireing chamber to test fire thier complete, rifles/uppers.

This is all good signs froma company that wants to do good in the AR scene....they gots the parts, and specs right and what is in demand...they just need to excecute the end result....build it right.

My upper is great, and this drama isn't going to push me away in considering them again when I catch the next AR bug. Especially when others I like are consistantly out of stock (for good reason).

Edit: trying not to be a cheer leader..but I'm sure these two uppers had to do with the same person or groups of people cutting corners (for whatever reason).

Well as with any company, things can and will happen, it's how they handle it that matters.

I own a Sig 239 that has no roll marks/markings on the slide, none, nothing, as bare as can be, now Sig is known for their quality but think how many people handled and inspected that slide. I called Sig and they told me I have a very rare pistol and if I wanted I could send it back and they would fix it. I decided to keep it the way it is as it doesn't affect the functionality at all.

I think PSA did just fine in this situation.

Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Well now I'm confused. I went to PSA's website, assuming that there is only one Palmetto State Armory and clicked on more information for their uppers. This is included in the description...

These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer, and are marked with the Palmetto State Armory logo on the left side, up front, just below the rail.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/8840.php

So, that looks like the uppers are made for them by somebody else.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Links