La Rue OBR or Predator 7.62

This is a discussion on La Rue OBR or Predator 7.62 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Alright ... I have done a butt ton of research on 762 battle rifles but I have but a few more questions concerning La Rue ...

Thread: La Rue OBR or Predator 7.62

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

La Rue OBR or Predator 7.62

Alright ...

I have done a butt ton of research on 762 battle rifles but I have but a few more questions concerning La Rue tactical.

What are the differences in the OBR full weight and the Predatar 7.62 lightened version when it comes to the following:

-Accuracy
    -Accessory options
    -Design differences and where

Does anyone own any one of these two models here on these forums. Also I am not interested in a SCAR. There is something about them I do not like but I do not know what it is. And I have shot them before.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I love my SCARs. I was about to help you until I read those last two lines….!

I have a bit of time on the OBR, but not the Predatar. A friend of mine on m4carbine, who is animated when it comes to his most current choice in firearms and accessories, swears by his. He has the 5.56 Predatar and the 7.62 OBR. The Predatar series, whether 5.56 or 7.62, gives up little in initial accuracy. You should expect 1 MOA accuracy. The difference is when it heats up, then you'll see 2 to 3 MOA accuracy.

When it comes to accessories, they both will handle the same. The barrel profile is obviously one of the main things you see first, then the top rail. The OBRs have MOA built into the top rail, but it's also higher which is why many use a RISR on the stock. The Predatar does not have the MOA built in and also has a standard height top rail. Obviously, you can use a good mount if you need additional MOA over your optic. This may or may not make a difference to you depending on the optic used, for example, the Nightforce and S&B will have considerably more elevation adjustment than a Nikon.

The Predatar uses a lighter rail also. You can attach rails where needed. The OBR has rail sections in the front and I don't believe you can add any more, though personally I don't see more as necessary, even with a considerable amount of kit.

The only design difference is the rail and barrel profile that I'm aware of. Warranty is typical LaRue with both rifles. Shoot out the barrel and it's very little to replace it. With the weight difference, I think the Predatar is strong competition in the semi auto 7.62 market. If I didn't already have the SCAR H, I'd look hard at one of these. I had a LWRC REPR as well and that never did much for me even though it was very accurate. If the Predatar would have been available then, I would have most likely went with one over the REPR and SCAR H.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Here's a great review of the Predatar 7.62. It's a semi-closed forum so I'm not sure if you can view it without logging in or not...

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a...63#42820799663
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Thanks ill register and take a look at that forum.

And I appreciate the great feedback and comparison between the 2 rifle. Much appreciated.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Links