New to shotguns - considering the idea for HD - Page 2

New to shotguns - considering the idea for HD

This is a discussion on New to shotguns - considering the idea for HD within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw a great looking little Maverick 12ga, think it was an 88 maybe... Had a pistol grip on it, 6+1capacity (I think...), and came ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New to shotguns - considering the idea for HD

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I saw a great looking little Maverick 12ga, think it was an 88 maybe... Had a pistol grip on it, 6+1capacity (I think...), and came with the full stock if you wanted to swap it out. 18.5" barrel.... I should have taken it home with me, but I just don't know about spending my 1911 fund on it...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

My Mossberg dressed up a bit. It is a great gun!!

Ron

429096865_YnAHz-L.jpg
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
    The beauty of a pump action shotgun is that once the perp hears you chamber a round they usually think twice about their occupation and may not have to fire a shot and if they don't, well that's the perps loss...
    I like the idea of that! Trust me, if I don't HAVE to shoot someone (b/c they $h!t themselves and left) - the better for all. If they stick around after that and some extreme verbal commands - I believe they have BAD intentions (or def).
    My iPhone might have an app for that until I decide which shotgun to get.
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

I went with the Mossberg 500 Persuader. After some range time, I swapped the pistol grip out for a Butler Creek metal folding stock. Much more accurate this way. Handguns certainly have their place in the scheme of things, but for HD it's hard to beat 12 gauge shotgun.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

OP - You will need to aim a shotgun at close range.

Get a 12 gauge. Much wider selection of ammo than with a 20 gauge. If recoil is a concern for your wife, there are numerous reduced recoil loads available, including the short 2 inch OO buck shells with only 6 pellets - less weight of shot out the front = less recoil to the rear.

I use #1 buckshot, 12 gauge, standard 2 3/4" shells (16 pellets). From the research I've seen, it is the best blend of pellet size/weight (and thus penetration) vs number of pellets there is. It can be hard to find - got mine on-line.

A handgun is great for moving withing a home, since it leaves a hand free for other tasks (phone, doors, lights, etc). The shotgun is best once you are barricaded inside your safe room, covering the door. Since you are not moving, the barrel length is really a moot point - you do not need a "short barrel" to defend your safe room.

Hope this helps.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

All good advice here. Another important thing to keep in mind is that you will get different buckshot patterns from different guns, different loads and different brands, so make sure you pattern your gun and know what to expect from the load you choose. I've found that Federal buckshot with Flite Control wads pattern the tightest. They are available in both regular and reduced recoil loads

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinLawyer View Post
    I recommend a 20ga rather than a 12ga for home defense for two reasons: (1) Your wife will actually be able to use it and (2) the recoil will be reasonable enough with a vented recoil pad that the two of you will actually be able to train with the thing enough to gain proficiency without having to give each other Chiropractor gift cards for Christmas. A 20ga shooting #2 buck delivers the impact of two simultaneous .44 magnum rounds - more than enough to make any bad guy in your house lie down and reassess his intentions.

Don't count on much of a spread pattern at hallway distances. And it is a myth that one does not have to aim a shotgun; it's not a blunderbuss full of rocks or nails and bolts. You do have to aim to hit what you want. By the way, studies show that #2 buck has more killing power than #00 because it's greater number of pellets deliver more impact surface area to the BG with very nearly the same total throw weight as #00. More chance the pattern will hit something vital. Good luck. Oh, and my choice for home defense shotgun is the Mossberg 590 Mariner 20Ga pump. Easy to clean, solid construction, devastating power, maneuverable indoors, 2 pounds lighter than a 12ga, solid stock for when you need to butt-stroke some sod rather than sending him to the promised land and the wife loves the more civilized recoil. YMMV.
    However, it is generally harder to find good SD loads in 20 gauge. Also, you noted that the 20 gauge is 2 pounds lighter, which is a significant decrease in weight. Really, I have found that because of the weight decrease you generally see in 20 gauge shotguns from 12, the felt recoil is about the same. OP, take your wife to a place that you can take trap or skeet lessons, and have her shoot a 12 gauge there, under instruction. Most females, once they are taught how to shoulder a shotgun, really don't have issues with shooting a 12 gauge. Just like any new shotgunner, if no one shows them how to properly shoulder it, by holding it tight to the pocket of their shoulder and having a aggressive stance, won't enjoy it. Get a 12 gauge, and see some proper instruction on using it, and it will be fine.

The beauty of a pump action shotgun is that once the perp hears you chamber a round they usually think twice about their occupation and may not have to fire a shot and if they don't, well that's the perps loss...
    So, do you keep your shotgun at home empty? Since you are counting on the sound of chambering a round of defending yourself? A casual burglar, sure that might work, a determined attacker who for some reason feels slighted by you, and wants you dead, not so much. And you can't know what variety BG you are defending yourself from at the initial stages of the incident.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
    They don't get that audible warning in my house...but maybe they can hear the safety being pushed to the off position!
    I like my Mossberg 500.
    atctimmy and mwhartman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    They don't get that audible warning in my house...but maybe they can hear the safety being pushed to the off position!
    I like my Mossberg 500.
    I would be very cautious about keeping a shell in the chamber. Most long guns are not drop safe. I prefer loaded mag tube, chamber empty, safety set to "fire." Pump it, and it is ready to go - but completely safe until then.
    Katana likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

It's already been covered, but hopefully soon these shotguns myths will cease... They need to be aimed as much as any rifle in almost any self defense distance and if the shot should spread out enough that you barely need to aim, you're at distances where a shotgun will be all but completely ineffective.

The other dangerous myth is the racking of a round into the shotgun. In the case that an intruder will run, he'd likely run from the bolt of your single shot 22 beng closed. The LAST thing I want to do when there's someone in my home or a threat in general, is give them warning that I'm armed and ready to fight. I don't want them to know what direction I'm coming from and what weapon I have, if any.

Their warning was the locked door, now we're playing by big boy rules.

This stuff isn't the movies. We need to focus on accurate aimed center mass hits as many times as necessary to put the threat down or the other direction. Whether its a pump or semi, we need to immediately be ready for a second, third or fourth shot. We need to work on these things on a regular basis. We all should, and most likely need, some sort of traning with the weapon of our choice.

If I was using a shotgun for home defense (I personally have a handgun and a 10.5" AR for home defense), I'd most likely go with the 870 for a pump or the 1100 for a semi auto. I'd get an 18" barrel or do the paperwork and get a 14" barrel. I'd extended the mag tube to the end of the barrel for obvious reasons and would prefer a minimum of 6 rounds in the gun and 4 more in the side saddle. I'd add a good light and load it up with Hornady TAP then get myself to a good class from a respected instructor on low light tactics, preferably with a long gun/shotgun.

It's not so much abut what we use, but how we use it.... Though what we use can definitely play a big part.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    It's already been covered, but hopefully soon these shotguns myths will cease... They need to be aimed as much as any rifle in almost any self defense distance and if the shot should spread out enough that you barely need to aim, you're at distances where a shotgun will be all but completely ineffective.

T
    If I don't need to aim a shotgun, how do I miss birds when I go out for sporting clays?

Also, remember that if you miss with your shotgun, you have more holes to patch in the wall than if you do with a rifle.

If I was using a shotgun for home defense (I personally have a handgun and a 10.5" AR for home defense), I'd most likely go with the 870 for a pump or the 1100 for a semi auto. I'd get an 18" barrel or do the paperwork and get a 14" barrel. I'd extended the mag tube to the end of the barrel for obvious reasons and would prefer a minimum of 6 rounds in the gun and 4 more in the side saddle. I'd add a good light and load it up with Hornady TAP then get myself to a good class from a respected instructor on low light tactics, preferably with a long gun/shotgun.
    I like the Mossberg 930 SPX myself, and think that normal 00 Buck (as opposed to TAP) loads will suit my needs, but otherwise, that sounds like my HD shotgun set-up.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

do you keep your shotgun at home empty?
    Mine is fully loaded, with a snap cap shell in the chamber. This is a kind of trick, in that you can keep a Mossberg with the safety off, uncocked, but ready to rack - you don't need to hit the slide release button or mess with the safety. Grab it, rack it, and you're ready for business.

This is part of the home shotgun calculus: where do you store it, and in what condition? Like 10thmtn, I use #1 Buck; hard to find, but it has superb power and penetration.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    If I don't need to aim a shotgun, how do I miss birds when I go out for sporting clays?

Also, remember that if you miss with your shotgun, you have more holes to patch in the wall than if you do with a rifle.
    You mean to tell me you can't just hit them while shooting from the hip!? I've been saying for years that the front bead is just for decoration....that's why it's gold.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post

I like the Mossberg 930 SPX myself, and think that normal 00 Buck (as opposed to TAP) loads will suit my needs, but otherwise, that sounds like my HD shotgun set-up.
    I'd be content with normal 00 buck as well (I don't know much about 1 or 4 buck, but I'm sure I'd be content with that too), just saying my ideal set up.... Then again, I'd just use birdshot so I don't have to aim. ;)

I know little about shotguns and have only owned a couple. My buddy has an FN that's pretty slick and an 870 from Nighthawk which is the one I like. I'll have to look up the 930.

After the 500, I realized I didn't like the safety position and also that I had to dump two rounds to replace the chambered round with a slug from the saddle as opposed to one from the 870. Is it the same with the 930?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    You mean to tell me you can't just hit them while shooting from the hip!? I've been saying for years that the front bead is just for decoration....that's why it's gold.

I'd be content with normal 00 buck as well (I don't know much about 1 or 4 buck, but I'm sure I'd be content with that too), just saying my ideal set up.... Then again, I'd just use birdshot so I don't have to aim. ;)

I know little about shotguns and have only owned a couple. My buddy has an FN that's pretty slick and an 870 from Nighthawk which is the one I like. I'll have to look up the 930.

After the 500, I realized I didn't like the safety position and also that I had to dump two rounds to replace the chambered round with a slug from the saddle as opposed to one from the 870. Is it the same with the 930?
    The 930 safety location is the same. The main selling point for me on is it the sights, which rock.

As far as dumping rounds of 00 for slugs, if you have space in the tube, you could just put one in there, and then dump just one round. If not, you are going to need to dump two. So, if there is space in the tube, you put a slug in the tube, and then just loose the round in the chamber. If the tube is full, then you need to lock the action to the rear (which will eject the round in the chamber) and then dump the one that ejected from the tube.

But I am sitting here with both an 870 and my 930, trying to figure out how you are dumping just one round for an 870 swap. Although, admittedly, popping a slug in is easier with a pump if your tube is full, since you skip the extra steps of locking the bolt back.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    If I wanted to have a slug option, I'd leave the slug out of the gun and on the side saddle. If you'd rather have the slug, that tells me you have a little more time for a administrative loading of the slug.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links