New to shotguns - considering the idea for HD - Page 4

New to shotguns - considering the idea for HD

This is a discussion on New to shotguns - considering the idea for HD within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by TSiWRX ^ I don't think you need to be forgiven, at all. Those are some very good points made. ^ That's a ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New to shotguns - considering the idea for HD

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    ^ I don't think you need to be forgiven, at all. Those are some very good points made.

^ That's a very, very good point, and it's got me thinking and re-evaluating. Thank you, sincerely, for bringing that up.
    There's always another side to everything. We need to evaluate the risk involved, but to everyone else as well and not only to ourselves, which is normal for us to do. There are so many variables, it's worth a couple good classes and a lot of soul searching and thinking it through. We also have to look at our abilities, our confidence in those abilities and any former experiences that may indicate how we might react.

Depending on a number of things, it may very well be best that we stay put with the family in one room and wait. It may even be best to dive out the window if you can get everyone out safely. It's not always about fighting which I'm trying to grasp myself due to the situation with my psychotic brother in law.

I know what I do when someone is a threat... And it's quite different than what I originally thought I'd do, which turns out to be a good thing in my case. What I think is always a good thing to do is clear your house maybe once a month when no one else is home. We need to have a plan, but we also need a few more plans because it'll never go like we think it will. We need to be mentally prepared to fight and fight hard. This is one of those cases where it's perfectly acceptable to kill a fly with a sledgehammer (forget who said that but it's a quote in the BCM catalog).

What also is a good idea is to review as many videos of shootings as we can find and watch the reactions of those shooting and being shot. How long does the whole thing last? After the first round impacts one of them, what is their reaction? I've seen enough to know that I don't want my family in the same room as a gunfight. I do my very best to overthink every scenario and view it as there is a group of men intent on doing me harm as opposed to a burglar that doesn't want a confrontation. This thinking saved my life once.

I know it's not nearly as much fun as hitting the range, but it's just as important, if not more in some cases.

Alright, sorry again for the drift!
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; October 31st, 2011 at 04:47 PM.
    TSiWRX likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I am a huge fan of Federal's Flite Control loads. Take your gun out and actually pattern it at different ranges and you'll see a remarkable difference in effective range with buckshot. You will also find that big birdshot loads, appropriate for apartment residents or others with concerns about penetration, will hold more pellets on target and be more effective. There is a benefit to using premium loads instead of whats on the shelf at Wal Mart.

But you actually have to buy ammo and shoot a bunch of it at the range. Don't just load up what someone here recommends. Go try it in your gun. Low recoil FC Buckshot and low recoil Truball slugs from Federal will handle all my shotgun needs, and the recoil is totally manageable by Mrs Superhouse, who is skinny, but tall and strong.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Have a Remington 870 Tactical(7+1)with a Hogue 12" LOP overmold stock......need to mount a small SureFire and she's ready to go. A Remy or Moss shotty will get the job done. Good Luck shopping!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Hey everyone, I have a Beretta PX4 9mm that I always thought of as my main home defense but now thinking it should be my back up to my shotgum. My shotgun a Remington 1100 special field 12 gauge is what I grew up using bird hunting. It does not have the higher capacity of dedicated HD shotgun but is compact and shorter barrel for maneuvring my home. My question is will it work with home defense loads. I have only used it for bird loads. It has multiple chokes but I'm not sure if the barrel and chokes are compatible with buckshot or slugs. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Azchief View Post
    Hey everyone, I have a Beretta PX4 9mm that I always thought of as my main home defense but now thinking it should be my back up to my shotgum. My shotgun a Remington 1100 special field 12 gauge is what I grew up using bird hunting. It does not have the higher capacity of dedicated HD shotgun but is compact and shorter barrel for maneuvring my home. My question is will it work with home defense loads. I have only used it for bird loads. It has multiple chokes but I'm not sure if the barrel and chokes are compatible with buckshot or slugs. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    First, welcome!

If your shotgun works with light bird shot loads, it should have no function issues with the heavier buckshot loads. Any shotgun will work for home defense, and I doubt you would ever need more than a few shells to solve your problem (I started a thread on this issue, and no one knew of any example of a home defense situation that needed more than 1 or 2 shotgun shells to solve). So, a "hunting" shotgun with 4 shell capacity should do just fine (my Rem 870 pump has a 4-shell mag tube). If you want, you can add an elastic butt cuff for some more shells, which is easy to remove for hunting or sporting use.

As far as chokes go, I usually go with an improved modified, but you will need to try your chosen ammo in your shotgun to pattern it and see.

I would NOT use slugs inside the home - much too much risk of overpenetration. If you need to take a shot at longer distance outside the home, then maybe - though I'd rather use a rifle for that.

Hope this is helpful!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thank you all for all of your responses. It is great to be part of such a great forum with all of this knowledge, experience and thoughtful opinion. I especially like the idea of taking some classes to gain proficiency with whatever firearm you use/carry. I found a range/school about 45 min form home and they have multiple classes for the pistol/rifle/shotgun. I'll bring your comments and suggestions to the boss lady and we will go from there. Many thanks for all of the input.
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Azchief, to supplement 10thmtn's great advice, the only thing that I'd like to reinforce is the importance of knowing how your gun patterns, with your chosen choke, at various typical HD distances, with your chosen HD ammo.

It doesn't have to be a specific choke - heck, the way I see it, a tighter choke just makes it all that much more effective for delivering all the pellets exactly where you want them to go.

Neither does it need to be some type of Ninjafied "Home Defense" Zombie-Killing Rapist-Zapping ammo.

The same kind of mentality that you have had for hunting will get you through a HD scenario, only that the target has changed.

Choose ammo to fit the "game." Then get to know how that ammo shoots, with the way your gun is set up, at typical HD distances.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links