New to shotguns - considering the idea for HD

This is a discussion on New to shotguns - considering the idea for HD within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; New to shotguns, but I am looking at possibly getting a short shotgun strickly for home defense (not much of a hunter). I like the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New to shotguns - considering the idea for HD

New to shotguns, but I am looking at possibly getting a short shotgun strickly for home defense (not much of a hunter). I like the idea of something that has a wide spread shot, pump or not, 4-5 shells and around $200. Really open minded here without expectations. I have a 9mm at home and a .380 I carry. Its just my wife and I at home and I want to ensure that she can gain proficiency with it also. Looking on-line, I noticed some are very long, pump vs. SA, or only take one/two shells at a time.

I saw a Mossberg 500 12g for $189 at Academy sports (oddly, the lowest handgun/ammo prices in town) and thought about a shotgun for home defense. Maybe overkill with a 9mm at home (but I don't think so).

What is your thoughts about shotgun home defense and or type.

-Andrew
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I went with the Remington 870 Express Magnum, been a great gun.

Shown with 18.5" barrel and +2 magazine tube.

IMAG0019_edit0 by Light Artisan Photography, on Flickr

You really can't go wrong with a shotgun loaded with 00 or #4 buck in the home as a HD weapon.

Distinguished Member
    You will sleep better with a 12 ga and 00 buck. Go practice with it and you will feel the love.
    atctimmy likes this.

What do you all think about the Mossberg 500 Cruiser?
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

I have a mossberg 500, great gun. In my bedroom with 00 in it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by odeaar View Post
    What do you all think about the Mossberg 500 Cruiser?
    I've had a Mossberg 500 for 26 years and it was 13 yrs old when I got it. The 500 will last a lifetime.

The 500 cruiser is fantastic as long as it has the full stock. Don't buy the model that just has a pistol grip. Pistol grips are for looks, stocks are for shooters.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I went with the Remington 870 Express Magnum, been a great gun.

Shown with 18.5" barrel and +2 magazine tube.

IMAG0019_edit0 by Light Artisan Photography, on Flickr
    This is the exact gun I have and you simply cant go wrong with an 870...The Mossbergs are nice, The 500 isnt bad but I like the 590 better.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I recommend a 20ga rather than a 12ga for home defense for two reasons: (1) Your wife will actually be able to use it and (2) the recoil will be reasonable enough with a vented recoil pad that the two of you will actually be able to train with the thing enough to gain proficiency without having to give each other Chiropractor gift cards for Christmas. A 20ga shooting #2 buck delivers the impact of two simultaneous .44 magnum rounds - more than enough to make any bad guy in your house lie down and reassess his intentions.

Don't count on much of a spread pattern at hallway distances. And it is a myth that one does not have to aim a shotgun; it's not a blunderbuss full of rocks or nails and bolts. You do have to aim to hit what you want. By the way, studies show that #2 buck has more killing power than #00 because it's greater number of pellets deliver more impact surface area to the BG with very nearly the same total throw weight as #00. More chance the pattern will hit something vital. Good luck. Oh, and my choice for home defense shotgun is the Mossberg 590 Mariner 20Ga pump. Easy to clean, solid construction, devastating power, maneuverable indoors, 2 pounds lighter than a 12ga, solid stock for when you need to butt-stroke some sod rather than sending him to the promised land and the wife loves the more civilized recoil. YMMV.
    GunTrooper likes this.
    "The problem with trusting quotes on the internet is they're so hard to authenticate." - Benjamin Franklin

The beauty of a pump action shotgun is that once the perp hears you chamber a round they usually think twice about their occupation and may not have to fire a shot and if they don't, well that's the perps loss...
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

I sold a shotgun, bought it, no am selling it again... At least I am coming out ahead

Now that I am my girlfriend tells me she like it around the house, and wants to try it out. The hunt is on again

BTW, it was my third mossberg 500. Great gun. I will own another.

This New England Firearms (Remington 870 clone) with Tac Star grips (padded extrior & internally weighted) works for me.

18" barrel, 27" overall length, 7+1 00-buckshot (click on the thumbnail for larger picture)

Defensive Shotgun.jpg

A Mossberg or Remington in 12 or 20 with a fixed stock will do anything you need for HD. With hunting season around there are tons of them used in pawnshops and gunshops. It might cost about $20 or $30 to cut a hunting gun down to 18", or you could just leave it long and plan on firing it from a fixed position like your safe room. The longer barrel will keep more pellets on target, and that's what you want.

Ammo selection is a huge debate and it depends a lot on your individual needs. Not every residence can safely contain 00 buck.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I sold a shotgun, bought it, no am selling it again... At least I am coming out ahead

Now that I am my girlfriend tells me she like it around the house, and wants to try it out. The hunt is on again

BTW, it was my third mossberg 500. Great gun. I will own another.
    You sold it again? You Sir, are a wild man. : )
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I really am. Didn't plan on it, but a guy at work was talking about picking one up. I liked the price he was talking about.

Would be cheaper to buy a new one with a normal stock than replace that one I got on it.

BTW, would you like me to remove it and send it to you?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links