AR15 .22 Question?

AR15 .22 Question?

This is a discussion on AR15 .22 Question? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, Im new to the forums and also fairly new to shooting in general. Im looking to buy an AR-15 as my first rifle. I've ...

Thread: AR15 .22 Question?

AR15 .22 Question?

Hello,
    Im new to the forums and also fairly new to shooting in general. Im looking to buy an AR-15 as my first rifle. I've done a lot of research online and have bounced back and forth between different ideas for what I should buy. I have decided that because I'm new to the shooting world I want to get a AR that shoots 22lr mainly because the ammo is cheaper and I'll be able to spend more time actually shooting. I planned on building my own gun with the help of my neighbor who has a pretty extensive knowledge about guns and the AR platform, and then adding a 22 conversion kit. However now Im looking at the M4LE22-A because it has a barrel designed for the 22lr. The cmmg 22 is about 700 bucks which seems to be cheaper than if I built the gun on my own. My question is if I get more into shooting and decide I want to swap out the upper to a 5.56 can I do this? What parts would I need? Just a new upper or would i need anything else?

here is a link to the gun I'm talking about: M4LE22-A 16 inch Rifle with Magpul Rear Sight, www.cmmginc.comCMMG Inc. AR15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. .22 LR Dedicated AR-15 Rifles, Dedicated AR 15 9mm Rifles and Uppers, Tactical Bacon

also there is this one not really sure of the difference:QUEBEC-A .22 Evolution 16 inch Rifle w/Low Profile FSB, www.cmmginc.comCMMG Inc. AR15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. .22 LR Dedicated AR-15 Rifles, Dedicated AR 15 9mm Rifles and Uppers, Tactical Bacon

Also if this gun can be converted later with the 5.56 upper am I on the right track or should I be looking at something else? Another brand? Thanks in advance for your help/opinions!

ok so i just found this link on youtube CMMG .22 Evolutioin Quebec-A Dedicated .22LR Rifle - YouTube which clearly shows that there Quebec-A model (QUEBEC-A .22 Evolution 16 inch Rifle w/Low Profile FSB, www.cmmginc.comCMMG Inc. AR15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. .22 LR Dedicated AR-15 Rifles, Dedicated AR 15 9mm Rifles and Uppers, Tactical Bacon) can use a 5.56 upper. So now the question is whats the difference between the M4LE22-A and the Quebec A? I know the forward assist on the Quebec-A doesnt work but it says on there site that you can upgrade it to work so which one would be better? Also still interested in if this is a good gun for what im looking for and if there is anything else I should consider?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    You can purchase a complete AR-15 lower and put a .22LR upper on it but I think with most conversions you lose out on some of the features found in the center fire counterparts like last shot hold open which IMO is critical to learning how to run the AR-15 well. I love my S&W M&P15-22 because it operates exactly like an AR-15 and I can shoot all day on 20 dollars worth of ammo greatly increasing my trigger time on the AR platform. The M&P15-22 is the only .22 LR style rifle that I know of that functions and takes down like an AR-15. The Colt M4 22 by Umarex field strips differently and the Ruger SR-22 is nothing more than a Ruger 10/22 dressed up like an AR and takes 10/22 magazines IIRC. I don't see myself ever wanting a .22 conversion for my Colt 6920 since I already have the M&P15-22 and I can swap most of the external and a few of the internal parts between the two rifles. The M&P15-22 also will cost you less than 500 dollars and ammo is dirt cheap!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Build the rifle in 5.56 and use one of the 22 conversion kits. My CMMG kit has been flawless.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I love my S&W M&P15-22 because it operates exactly like an AR-15 and I can shoot all day on 20 dollars worth of ammo greatly increasing my trigger time on the AR platform. The M&P15-22 is the only .22 LR style rifle that I know of that functions and takes down like an AR-15....The M&P15-22 also will cost you less than 500 dollars and ammo is dirt cheap!
    I'll second SubNine's suggestion. I bought one for my daughter and have ended up using it as much as her. It is a blast, feels like my M&P15 and costs a lot less to pump through a thousand rounds.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

thanks for the reply guys! I originally looked at the S&W when I decided I wanted a .22. The S&W M&P15 isn't made out of metal right? Also there isn't a forward assist (not 100% sure what that is) and there is no way to change it back to a 5.56 is there? That is one of my biggest concerns because I don't want to have to buy another gun down the road if I can avoid it. When you say its the only one that takes down like an AR-15 what would be the difference for the cmmg? It says it uses a regular lower receiver so I am assuming that it would have something to do with the upper?

Agreed - start with the real deal, then slide in your rimfire adaptor.

Make sure you run some "real" ammo thru the gun as well. Get moving, and you'll be ready for the EAG Tactical 'Carbine Operators Course' in Casa Grande around March. You want to learn how to run the gun and fight with it, Pat Rogers is a solid way to go. I may try to make that course (would be my 4th time with Mr. Rogers).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Funnest thing I ever did was buy a Ciener 22 conversion kit for my buddys FA M16,it will burn thru 27 rounds in about 2 seconds,it takes a lot longer to load the mags than to shoot them,I also have an AR15 22 conversion to use in my AR15's
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

it was my understanding that these guns were "the real deal". The Quebec-A can switch between the 22 upper to and other upper including a 5.56. Im worried about the loss of accuracy with a conversion kit and also possible ruining the barrel. Are these things that I really shouldn't be worried about? Again I most likely wont buy a 5.56 upper for a little while so I can get used to the gun first. If I went this route I could have some time to figure out what I really want before I buy the new upper since I don't know if I will want a SS barrel or anything like that...

price break down would be about 600 bucks for the Quebec-A and then I would have to buy a new upper later on 300-600 depending on what I get vs buy a 5.56 gun for say 700-900 and then have to add a conversion kit right off the bat for another 150 or so. I have the money up front so its not so much of an issue its just I honestly don't know how much I would shoot the 5.56 if the ammo for a 22 is 1/10th the price... decisions decisions haha

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kote786 View Post
    thanks for the reply guys! I originally looked at the S&W when I decided I wanted a .22. The S&W M&P15 isn't made out of metal right? Also there isn't a forward assist (not 100% sure what that is) and there is no way to change it back to a 5.56 is there? That is one of my biggest concerns because I don't want to have to buy another gun down the road if I can avoid it. When you say its the only one that takes down like an AR-15 what would be the difference for the cmmg? It says it uses a regular lower receiver so I am assuming that it would have something to do with the upper?
    The M&P15-22 is mostly made of polymer except the barrel which of course is steel. The forward assist is not present on it either and I don't think it'd be present on any .22LR AR uppers or dedicated rifles unless it's there for cosmetic purposes. The forward assist is there in case the bolt for whatever reason fails to go back into battery when you hit the bolt catch/release or pull the charging handle. I think if you do go with a conversion upper on a 5.56 lower then it'd take down the same way except for the bolt carrier group which would be different. You're right about not being able to change the 15-22 to 5.56 as it is a dedicated .22LR rifle. I don't have any experience with the CMMG conversion you speak of but judging by the video it seems like a good way to go. Whatever you choose let us know how you like it!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

If I had unlimited funds, I'd buy the 5.56 AR platform of choice and the S&W M&P 15-22 complete rifles, but since my income is fixed, I'm saving up for a drop-in conversion for my M&P Sport, probably a CMMG as it's the only one that I've really seen reviews on.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

I don't know if this helps but heres what I did. I had to have an AR, and after much home work went with the Spikes mid-length in .556. Fell in love right away with it, and all my shooting with it proves to me it was a great choice. So on to the .22 version, I went with the SW 15-22. and again I got it right (for me anyway). Other posts have already stated the advantages of having dedicated rifles in those two variations. Yes money is an issue and I had to save and make choices here and there, but it has worked for me and have no regrets. Let us know how things go with you. Good luck...
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Sponsored Links