AR Sling

AR Sling

This is a discussion on AR Sling within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can anyone recommend a good single point AR Sling? I currently inclined to go single point, but I can be convinced otherwise. I understand that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Sling

AR Sling

Can anyone recommend a good single point AR Sling?

I currently inclined to go single point, but I can be convinced otherwise. I understand that is the most flexible.

Thank you!
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Get the Magpul set up, with their ASAP mount.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have the SOG single point sling and find it comfortable and easy to use...

AR-15/M-16/CAR/M4 ONE-Point Sling-Bungee Type With Ambi Sling Adapter
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

What barrel length is the rifle you'll use it on and what exactly will you be doing with it that a single point will serve you better? I ran them for quite a while and I still have a couple Magpul slings around, but even on my 10.5" I'm running a VCAS (two-point). What I've found works for me, and I ran ASAP plates since they were released, is the MS2 with a Noveske or DD QD end plate. That way you don't have that loop there when you don't need it. I really appreciate having an RSA or QD attachment on the front to convert the MS2 to a two-point.

If you need a dedicated single point, Gear Sector makes a very nice one and Jason is a great guy to deal with.

There are a handful of guys that are taking their VCAS and adding the hardware from the Magpul so you have a better quality sling with the same capabilities. I gave it a try but would have preferred it with some different hardware that. Never got around to ordering.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I like the VTAC / VCAS slings. Two point gives much more control than a the single point. The single point sling design is optimal for lightlweight, short rifles. I ended up with a Two point rapid adjust sling from Shellback tactical, since it is almost identical to the VCAS, but cost 1/3 the price. It's also made in America.

VIP Member
    I second (third? fourth?) the VTAC/VCAS, and the two point in general. Single point slings are a [expletive deleted] when you don't have a hand on your weapon.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

As an old high-power shooter I prefer the M1907 leather sling which is what has always been on my AR 15. It's like a familiar pair of jeans, effective and comfortable.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

One more vote for the VTAC.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

look at single/double, not just single..

The Magpul set-up is a good sling concept,but,it will seperate when it gets wet,the material is so soft it does'nt hold well,I know from first-hand experience,if all your gonna do is use it for plinking and the range it's great.When I had mine I had to tape the loose material so that it would'nt work loose,I finally went with the V-Tac sling and have been satisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Get the Magpul set up, with their ASAP mount.

Another vote for the VTAC. Check out the video, it might help you understand why people like it so much.
    Viking Tactics

Adding to my post above, here's a link where Rob S converts his VCAS to a single/two point - Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling - single point mod - M4Carbine.net Forums

Blue Force Gear now sells a Triglide that you put on your VCAS or similar sling. As long as the sling has QD ends, it'll attach right into the Triglide so it can act as a single point. All the benefits of the Magpul with none of the cheaper components.

I have five (well, four now) VCAS slings. Three standard and one padded. The padded is on my SCAR H. I like the standard ones so I can connect it however I'd like, but they all have push button QD's anyway. But, I had a handful of them here, so it wasn't worth the added expensive for a permanently attached QD. With the way I attach my slings, near barrel nut and on the opposite side (right side) of the stock, my slings need to be very short. The padded sling at its shortest is still a bit too long for me.

Now, if I attach it to the front of my rail and the rear near my stock, or near the barrel nut and the end plate, it's long enough. For me though, I prefer the barrel nut and stock as its very secure while slung, doesn't get in my way like a front of rail connection point and allows me to maneuver it almost as well as if it was attached to the end plate. I even use it this way on my SBR's though I do keep a single point handy as I still use them on my SBR's when working in and around vehicles.

Triglide from BFG - Blue Force Gear® Store

VCAS sling - Blue Force Gear® Store

The first sling on that page is what most of mine are since I already had the QD attachments. Even if I didn't, I'd still buy the standard or padded standard so I could add my own and switch them out if I wanted to attach it directly or use an HK hook or smash hook, for example.

If I wasn't using the VCAS, I'd use the VTAC. It's a little thinner and maybe not as durable as the VCAS, but I think it's a very nice sling. The main difference besides the width and that LNG tail when pulled tight is that the VCAS is designed to be ready to fire even at its tightest while the VTAC can be pulled tighter for retention. That's my biggest issue with the padded VCAS is that with the way I like my slings, I can't get it tight enough to focus on climbing, for example, or really anything else that requires movement and both hands. The standard ones I can no problem.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

@jon - carbine length.

Wow ... thank you all! This has been most helpful!

Honestly, I figured a sling is a sling, but man ... you guys have TONS of experience and knowledge here. I will check them all out, but it sounds like most of you love the VTAC.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Yeah,it's amazing after being"Smacked"in the knees from your carbine with a single point sling will change your mind to.
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderBra View Post
    @jon - carbine length.

Honestly, I figured a sling is a sling, but man ... you guys have TONS of experience and knowledge here. I will check them all out, but it sounds like most of you love the VTAC.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBra View Post
    @jon - carbine length.

I'd probably suggest the VCAS over the VTAC based on my needs. I like that there's no loose ends on the VCAS and a keeper is not needed. It's also a little thicker which FOR ME is more comfortable for long days out. The VTAC will serve you just as well though.

VTAC video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhojN...e_gdata_player

VCAS video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXs_3...e_gdata_player

Here's a couple good reads on the slings

Keep in mind that this first link was written in '06. 3 point slings are barely even mentioned any more and the two points mentioned in this thread were in their very early stages.

http://www.03designgroup.com/technot...or-the-carbine

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6947

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links