New HD weapon

This is a discussion on New HD weapon within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Late this afternoon, I purchased a Remington 870 Express plus 500 rounds of 00 buck. Now I need to get to the range. IMG_20111105_200159.jpg...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New HD weapon

New HD weapon

Late this afternoon, I purchased a Remington 870 Express plus 500 rounds of 00 buck. Now I need to get to the range.

IMG_20111105_200159.jpg
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Pretty.

--It's good to see that someone got it right; you put up pictures WITH your news. Because everyone knows it didn't happen if there aren't any pictures.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Pretty.

--It's good to see that someone got it right; you put up pictures WITH your news. Because everyone knows it didn't happen if there aren't any pictures.
    Thank you, sir! I had taken the ammo to the basement before I took the photo and did not feel like lugging it back up for the photo :)
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Thank you, sir! I had taken the ammo to the basement before I took the photo and did not feel like lugging it back up for the photo :)
    Understandable- 00 buck is heavy stuff. Especially when you get upwards of 100rds.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Congrats on the nice HD tool!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Congrats on the nice HD tool!
    And thanks for your help!

*Like*
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

It's a keeper!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

There's something elegant about the purposeful, no-nonsense look of a black short-barrel shotgun with an extended mag. That gun exudes confidence.

At the risk of spending a few more $, you might want to hit the local ammo supplier for some low-brass 7-1/2s to practice with, in addition to the buckshot. Your shoulder will thank you!

FWIW, my shooting buddy back east just did a defensive shotgun course with Bill Jeans (Morrigan Consulting; formerly of Gunsite). The training round count was 150 bird, 30 slug, 20 buck... birdshot was used for learning to run the gun and to gain familiarity with reloading, etc. Slugs were used to practice the "reach out and touch someone" in the 25-75 yard range.

When you strip the gun down after you've run a buncha rounds through it, look closely at the two action bars that connect the forend to the bolt. These are stampings; plenty strong, but the stamping process often leaves shear lips on the edges, which can add friction to the action. If you see any shiny spots where the bars run through the guide channels in the receiver, use a decent hard stone to stone those edges smooth and flat. The few Express models I've seen have benefited from that simple treatment.

Regardless - a good investment; enjoy!
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    There's something elegant about the purposeful, no-nonsense look of a black short-barrel shotgun with an extended mag. That gun exudes confidence.

At the risk of spending a few more $, you might want to hit the local ammo supplier for some low-brass 7-1/2s to practice with, in addition to the buckshot. Your shoulder will thank you!

FWIW, my shooting buddy back east just did a defensive shotgun course with Bill Jeans (Morrigan Consulting; formerly of Gunsite). The training round count was 150 bird, 30 slug, 20 buck... birdshot was used for learning to run the gun and to gain familiarity with reloading, etc. Slugs were used to practice the "reach out and touch someone" in the 25-75 yard range.

When you strip the gun down after you've run a buncha rounds through it, look closely at the two action bars that connect the forend to the bolt. These are stampings; plenty strong, but the stamping process often leaves shear lips on the edges, which can add friction to the action. If you see any shiny spots where the bars run through the guide channels in the receiver, use a decent hard stone to stone those edges smooth and flat. The few Express models I've seen have benefited from that simple treatment.

Regardless - a good investment; enjoy!
    Thanks for all of the tips, Smitty! I will heed your advice.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Late this afternoon, I purchased a Remington 870 Express plus 500 rounds of 00 buck. Now I need to get to the range.

IMG_20111105_200159.jpg
    Yes!

Congrats on the new addition as well as the acquiring the ammo supply - very cool.

Good Choice. My State Police Agency "upgraded " to Rem 11/87 14" autos and it was a disaster! My former issued 870 18" had a mag extention/side-saddle for 6 rds. and a neat little part of Picatinny Rail that fits under the magazine cap that allows a tactical light to be added. (Check Browell's site-they have all the parts I added and offered lots of help to do it right free!). When I bailed out on a Search Warrant my 870 had 13 rds on board, a light, and I knew I could shoot a 3" group @ 100 yds with rifled slugs all day long because we did it 2 times a yr for about 15 yrs. Consider slug ammo and try other brands. Most PDs issue 9 pellet OO Buck due to cost and (Gag)-admin target scoring! I carry Rem 12 pellet 00 as issued by DEA and available online. If you want to get real serious-a Gun Smith can drill & tap the receiver to mount a rail which opens up red/green dot/scope mounting. My Mossbergs came D&Ted and a rail was under $20-Tasco Pro-Point ready and dead-on slug zero @ 100 yds for under $60. sight & mount.

I feel sorry for any dirtbag that might invade your castle.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

500 rounds of 00 buck is a lotta buckshot,I pity the flash mob that tries to invade your castle
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    GORGEOUS.

But I do think you need more ammo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links