AR15

This is a discussion on AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe I read it wrong, but he was talking about the 62 gr. tumbling wildly because of the fast twist rate and resultant throat erosion, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: AR15

Maybe I read it wrong, but he was talking about the 62 gr. tumbling wildly because of the fast twist rate and resultant throat erosion, so manufacturers downgraded to the 1/9 and 1/7.
    Would not be the first time I've been wrong!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Spikes makes a decent rifle, though they're not almost identical to Colt. They do offer a decent rifle for a low price though.
    I haven't been able to find many differences in the specs between the two. Can you elaborate? Just wondering what your thoughts are; my view is that the Colt runs for close to $400 more around here, and while it is a better rifle I don't see it as being $400 better personally. I do have a Colt HBAR rifle as well and very much like it.

The reason I am interested is that I also have a Bushmaster carbine and am working to find the best weight bullet for my 14" 1/9 barrel.
    Sorry, I should not be asking that here..don't want to highjack this thread
    Last edited by boatail; November 7th, 2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: highjack foul
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Daniel Defense is top quality

I don't know what happened, but I thought I came back and edited my post with a link... Anyway, I'm not usually one to link to my own posts, but here's one that may be useful. It's post number 28 in case it doesn't take you directly to it.

Best Value 5.56 Rifle
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I don't know what happened, but I thought I came back and edited my post with a link... Anyway, I'm not usually one to link to my own posts, but here's one that may be useful. It's post number 28 in case it doesn't take you directly to it.

Best Value 5.56 Rifle
    Read through your post and found it very informative...the only thing the Spikes seems to have that you said was second-tier is the carbine-length gas tube. Everything else fits in with what you called "Group A" unless you are saying that what they post for their specs is inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Read through your post and found it very informative...the only thing the Spikes seems to have that you said was second-tier is the carbine-length gas tube. Everything else fits in with what you called "Group A" unless you are saying that what they post for their specs is inaccurate.
    I'm not sure exactly which part you're talking about, can you quote it for me? I didn't mean to imply that carbine length gas systems were lower grade... If you get a chance to quote it, I'll explain myself. Sorry about that...

As for the Spikes quality, I'll try to explain that here in a bit. I think they make a decent rifle, I just wouldn't put it up there with Colt or similar, for example. I try to keep their business practices and gimmicky marketing out of it....as best I can!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I'm not sure exactly which part you're talking about, can you quote it for me? I didn't mean to imply that carbine length gas systems were lower grade... If you get a chance to quote it, I'll explain myself. Sorry about that...

As for the Spikes quality, I'll try to explain that here in a bit. I think they make a decent rifle, I just wouldn't put it up there with Colt or similar, for example. I try to keep their business practices and gimmicky marketing out of it....as best I can!
    I believe what I picked up on is this:

If it's a carbine gas system on a 16" barrel, we're already looking at too much gas coming into the gun. Two (well, three actually) things will play into this. One is the size of the gas port and the other is the buffer and the bolt carrier group. For a carbine gassed 16" gun, we're going to need at least an H buffer even with the smallest of gas ports.
    Other than that I couldn't find anything on their specs that suggested lower quality than the Colt rifles, and actually it might have the H-buffer you mentioned, I just couldn't find any mention of it. If we're getting into customer service and warranty then it might be a different story. As far as their business practices go, I can only speak to my own experience and my transaction with them was smooth and drama-free. Just curious as to your thoughts on them.

I believe what I picked up on is this:

Other than that I couldn't find anything on their specs that suggested lower quality than the Colt rifles, and actually it might have the H-buffer you mentioned, I just couldn't find any mention of it. If we're getting into customer service and warranty then it might be a different story. As far as their business practices go, I can only speak to my own experience and my transaction with them was smooth and drama-free. Just curious as to your thoughts on them.
    I had typed out a long reply then lost it. Give me a few to retype it and I'll explain my reasoning behind not being a fan of Spikes. I retract my statement on their general quality though, they seem to be producing a rifle following the specs most of us want. The new chart by Rob S includes Spikes this time and they now follow the same specs as BCM, Colt, LMT, etc.

Here's a link to the new chart then a link to the explanations. The older chart had a lot of other companies with many having very few checks compared to Colt, LMT, BCM, etc.

Thread with new chart, limk at top - http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82739

Explanation of features - https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...=5&output=html

Ah cool, you had me wondering if I had missed something. I have to say I am wondering what kind of problems there are with the Spikes company though, based on my dealings with them I'd recommend them to anyone, seemed to be a really good value to me anyway.

Ah cool, you had me wondering if I had missed something. I have to say I am wondering what kind of problems there are with the Spikes company though, based on my dealings with them I'd recommend them to anyone, seemed to be a really good value to me anyway.
    I'll pm you in a bit and fill you in. It doesn't affect their rifles in any way, but it says a lot about them, just in my opinion though. There's a reason you don't see any of the well known trainers out there using them, but yet many use other newer or small companies like Centurion, BCM, Daniel Defense, etc., even when they're not sponsors and they're using their own weapons. AZ Hawk just did a Magpul class, I'm sure he can attest to hoe many personally owned rifles each instructor brought.

Alright, I'm talking too much again and my emotions are getting the better of me! I'll pm you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links