AR15

AR15

This is a discussion on AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi guy's i have a Bushmaster carbon 15 and i am thinking about getting another AR may be a step up from what i have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: AR15

Question AR15

Hi guy's i have a Bushmaster carbon 15 and i am thinking about getting another AR may be a step up from what i have now not that i have had any trouble with the one i have now it has only had about 60 rounds through it and no trouble . I feel like if i don't get fire arms now i may not be able to get what i need later if the shtf. Please move this post to the correct section for me i didn't realize that it is the wrong place until i had posted it.
    Jerry

NRA Life Member

Look at BCM or Spikes.
    Guest1 likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

PSA has some excellent deals with good quality parts too. Same specs as BCM and the likes at a very good prices.

Palmetto State Armory 16" M4A1 Carbine

Palmetto State Armory 14.7'' Hammer-forged, Mid-length Rifle w/pinned A2 Flash Supressor

Palmetto State Armory 16" 5.56, M4A1 Hammer-Forged, Chrome-Lined, Patrol Carbine.

I have a upper, and other parts from them and it is of good quality.

IMO it's almost foolish not to go with those....considering it's all mil-spec, HP/MP tested, and test fired. Almost HAlf the cost of the exact same rifle that BCM puts out, AND PSA has it in stock!...just sayin'

Use the advanced search function and look for posts by jonconsiglio over the past year. He has a very good take on ARs and their respective features... rock solid advice.
    mwhartman and glockman10mm like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Use the advanced search function and look for posts by jonconsiglio over the past year. He has a very good take on ARs and their respective features... rock solid advice.
    Here are two recent threads jonconsiglio commented in

S&W M&P 15 sport vs Rock River LAR-15 CAR A4

AR-15 brand recommendations

Jon was very helpful for me.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    PSA has some excellent deals with good quality parts too. Same specs as BCM and the likes at a very good prices.

Palmetto State Armory 16" M4A1 Carbine

Palmetto State Armory 14.7'' Hammer-forged, Mid-length Rifle w/pinned A2 Flash Supressor

Palmetto State Armory 16" 5.56, M4A1 Hammer-Forged, Chrome-Lined, Patrol Carbine.

I have a upper, and other parts from them and it is of good quality.

IMO it's almost foolish not to go with those....considering it's all mil-spec, HP/MP tested, and test fired. Almost HAlf the cost of the exact same rifle that BCM puts out, AND PSA has it in stock!...just sayin'
    Palmetto State rifles are at the top of my hot list right now. I have an old Colt and have decided it's time for another AR just to keep my near-antique in form. BTW, PSA's are built to order. Anyone have any contrary info?

Check out a Colt 6920
    Guest1 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thanks guys i will check out what you told me.
    Jerry

NRA Life Member

I have a spikes mid length with some custom work done by spikes and its great. Probably who I buy from from now on. Let me know if your untreated in them and ill answer as much as I can..

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Palmetto State rifles are at the top of my hot list right now. I have an old Colt and have decided it's time for another AR just to keep my near-antique in form. BTW, PSA's are built to order. Anyone have any contrary info?
    Takes about 7 business days to build, then few days for shipping. Recieved my upper in two weeks from day of order.

I have the basic Spikes M4 model. It was $800 and has virtually identical specs to the ~$1150 Colt LE6920. Very happy with it and would recommend it to just about anyone.

Spikes makes a decent rifle, though they're not almost identical to Colt. They do offer a decent rifle for a low price though. Bravo Co is about the closest to Colt that you're going to get along with Daniel Defense. I'm not putting down Spikes (unless we're talking abut business practices and marketing) just pointing out it's not identical to Colt. Actually, no one is identical to Colt.

If I was being careful on my spending and my budget was $1,000 or under, I'd buy a BCM Or Colt 6920. if my budget was closer to $800, I'd buy a PSA lower and a Bravo Co upper with a Bravo Co auto bolt carrier group. PSA seems to be a good company. Sure they slipped with their QC recently, but luckily that was not a big deal.

For me, I'm most likely buying a Bravo Co. Right now, my 14.5" BCM cold hammer forged barrel is attached to a Noveske upper on a Noveske lower. My 10.5" is an LMT. For me, LMT makes the mk18 just right with gas port sizing that I prefer. If I do another 14.5" or 16", I'm going with Centurion Arms. Their barrels have a profile between lightweight and govt but are very accurate for CHF barrels, similar to Noveske. For the mk12 or Recce I'm definitely going with Centurion as they use Douglas stainless barrel finished by the same people that finish the military Douglas barrels for their issued mk12's.

The ONLY reason I don't just buy Colt is they use carbine gas systems on their 14.5" and 16" rifles. A 14.5" with a carbine gas system is fine, though I prefer I'd length now, but a carbine gas system on a 16" is a bit much when you have other options... It's especially too much when you buy a commercial grade weapon like Bushmaster because they use gas ports that are considerably larger than the professional grade rifles. Seeing as my 145" mid length runs even steel cased Wolf with enthusiasm, I see no need for enlarged gas ports that cause a your rifle to have a jerky action and increased recoil with too much gas in the carrier and receiver.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Here is a link that helped me in my search for an AR, this guy goes into detail about what he looks for and why. He also gives his opinion on many brands. Very well written, and IMO a very worthwhile read if you are looking into getting a good AR.

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Porp View Post
    Here is a link that helped me in my search for an AR, this guy goes into detail about what he looks for and why. He also gives his opinion on many brands. Very well written, and IMO a very worthwhile read if you are looking into getting a good AR.

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?
    I checked this sight, and good info...except his take on twist rates. He mentioned the extremely FAST twist rate of the 1/12. Maybe I've been thinking backwards, but isn't 1/12 SLOWER than 1/7 or 1/9?
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

testing showed this fast twist rate will show premature throat erosion, so commercial barrel makers decided to make their barrels 1/9 twist since they did not need to adhere to the strict military requirement of 1/7.
    See, the way I read it, he was referring to the 1/7 as being the fast twist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links