HD/Hunting shotgun

This is a discussion on HD/Hunting shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have pistols and a few .22's. Now I think I need a multipurpose shotgun. Main purpose will be HD but I'd like to hunt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: HD/Hunting shotgun

HD/Hunting shotgun

I have pistols and a few .22's. Now I think I need a multipurpose shotgun. Main purpose will be HD but I'd like to hunt pheasants and maybe deer with slugs next year.

I've been looking at the Benelli Supernova Tactical. I've held one and it feels really good. I know I want a Benelli and I like the pistol grip. How good of a hunting gun is this since it has a short 18 inch barrel?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

I'm not too familiar with that particular shotgun, but in general, one of the great advantages of shotguns is their versatility. You can change the barrels on most of them very simply, so they can be adapted for different purposes. I use a 26" barrel on my Remington 870 pump for skeet, and a 20" barrel with rifle sights for home defense. Switching the barrels takes literally a minute, if that.
    Old School and Buckj like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I have a Winchester SX3 with a 28" barrel and my son uses my Benelli Nova HD shotgun with the 18" barrel when we shoot trap. He's become pretty good with it, can keep up with me but he needs to knock them down before they go too far. The 18" barrel wouldn't be a great hunting shotgun and if you're considering buying an extra longer barrel it will cost you about $300.00.
    I'm looking at getting my kid a Browning BPS with a 26 or 28 inch barrel, the 18 is better suited for hallways.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    A Benelli Nova will work fine for pheasants, but not the "tactical" barrel. 18" is a bit short to get optimum performance from a hunting load, plus the open cylinder choke will be a severe handicap in the field. And the birds you did hit would have a much better chance of becoming "walking dead", and that is not good for anyone.
    I would suggest buying the Nova with a more suitable barrel, but that is way to much $$ when talking Benelli. If you want a all around do it all shotgun, I'd look towards an 870.
    Buckj likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I just purchased a Remington 870 Express. Primary purpose HD see link

New HD weapon

Good weapon that feels good in my hand.
    Old School and Buckj like this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Thanks. I had considered getting a longer barrel for hunting but those are expensive for the benelli. Haven't looked at the 870 in person, I'll have to check those out. I know they seem to be popular.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A Benelli Nova will work fine for pheasants, but not the "tactical" barrel. 18" is a bit short to get optimum performance from a hunting load, plus the open cylinder choke will be a severe handicap in the field. And the birds you did hit would have a much better chance of becoming "walking dead", and that is not good for anyone.
    I would suggest buying the Nova with a more suitable barrel, but that is way to much $$ when talking Benelli. If you want a all around do it all shotgun, I'd look towards an 870.
    Rem 870 is my choice as well. Very flexible and allows you to use different barrels for different configurations. You can even change out the stock and handgrip. A single Rem 870 with multiple barrels can give you a HD shotty, rifled barrel slug gun, bird gun and trap gun.
    Buckj likes this.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Went to a couple of gun stores. The first one was this little store. They did not carry benelli and said those were junk. He tried to talk me into a mossburg 500 or 535 tactical. He had a used 535 for $400. I liked it and it could take the 3 1/2 inch magnum shells. He could get a new 500 for $410 but that one only takes the 3 inch shells. I want something that can shoot the 3 1/2 inch shells.

Then went to Gander Mountain. Looked ar some 870's. Those were nice but noticed they only take upto the 3 inch shells. The 870's were nice but didn't have the ergonomics of the benelli. But extral barrels for the 870 would be a lot cheaper than the benelli.

Scheels has a supernova tactical in desert camo on sale for $449.

Wish I could design my own shotgun. This is what I'd like in a shotgun.
    1. Adjustable stock w/ pistol grip
    2. Reasonably priced hunting barrels
    3. Able to shoot 3 1/2 inch magnums
    4. Ghost ring sights
    5. Under $500
    6. Reliable

Do they have a tactical 870 that can take the 3 1/2 shells? I like shooting the big magnum shells:)

Administrator
    Ok, here is a simple question... What is your intention with shooting 3.5" shells?
    gasmitty likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    They did not carry benelli and said those were junk. He tried to talk me into a mossburg 500 or 535 tactical.
    Yep, those big, heavy Mercedes really suck. Lemme show you this Chevy Malibu I got over here...

Meanwhile: Unless you need to hunt turkey and geese with the same gun you use for home defense, I suggest you back off the requirement for 3-1/2" chambering. Defensive shotgunning rarely, if ever, requires magnum loads, and in fact the law enforcement world has largely moved to reduced-recoil rounds of the 2-3/4" persuasion. And besides, if you can afford enough 3-1/2" magnum ammo to train with, you can afford a dedicated goose/turkey gun!
    Buckj likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Ok, for the 3 1/2 inch magnum rounds. The bigger the bang and the more recoil, the better. I love a big loud bang and lots of recoil.

20 years ago or so, I remember borrowing my friend's browning semi auto 12 and shot the 3 1/2 magnums through it. Really fun to shoot. The groundhogs sure didn't like them though.

Not that I'll shoot the 3 1/2 all the time, I just want to be able to:) Besides HD and hunting, I'll use this for target practice and shooting water jugs and other fun stuff.

And if you need the magnum shells for Turkey, well, I'd love to go Turkey hunting.

Buckj likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

ok I will have to repent for what i am saying...i have said many times how i despise elitist snobs & now i am one If i am hunting pheasants I will use a good O/U shotgun evertime in 2 3/4 ...they have worked very well for me on wild pheasant in Kansas...I have never shot a Benelli though they are the bells cow from what I have heard...but then again I am a O/U snob But I would not be too prideful & not use a good pump.....I have a Winchester Model 12 cut back to open cylinder & it is deadly on quail...if i was shooting tame pheasants or wanting something for SD I would choose it...it is so smooth it cycles itself...also with the pump I have shot 15 dove out of 16 shots before

I by no means am an expert on shotguns. I grew up in Kansas hunting pheasant dove and quail and always used a remington 1100 special field 12 gauge great shotgun for bird hunting and short 21 inch barrel good for in the home. i love this shotgun no problems with years of service. You are limited on capacity versus a Hd specific shotgun but in my opinion a very good option. I;m not sure how hard to find they are nowadays since they done[t make them anymore or what pricing is on them but really satisfied with it.

Buckj, the 12 ga standard loads have gotten so good over the years, there's little reason to go to magnums except for waterfowl & steel. Shot stringing and pellet deformation with the heavy payloads are a questionable tradeoff, compared to good high brass loads. My Silver Pigeon has 3" chambers but it'll be a long time before I need 'em... unless pheasants start popping up in the AZ desert. For dove and quail, I find the 'heavy' AA target loads are worth the extra buck a box and it's all the load I need.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links