finally..after about a yr of making my mods on an sks74

finally..after about a yr of making my mods on an sks74

This is a discussion on finally..after about a yr of making my mods on an sks74 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; last yr I purchased a chinese made sks 74... fires 7.62x39 wp rnds.. it came with one of those chunky nasty wooden stocks that was ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pirate

Thread: finally..after about a yr of making my mods on an sks74

Thumbs up finally..after about a yr of making my mods on an sks74

last yr I purchased a chinese made sks 74...
    fires 7.62x39 wp rnds..
    it came with one of those chunky nasty wooden stocks that was just ugly as sin...
    so...I went to cheaperthandirt.com and picked up a tapco composite stock
    rail mounted bolt cover.
    bipod
    6 position collapsable stock
    single point tactical sling
    nikstar holographic sight
    and a fwd grip...

looks like this...
    all in all I have maybe 450 bucks into it total...

Steve
    sks 005.jpg
    sks 003.jpg

Steve

Administrator
    "looks like this...
    all in all I have maybe 450 bucks into it total..."

That will work but, suggestion:
    You really should invest a little more $$$ into your optic. NC Star (first of all) is not a holographic weapon sight. It is just an illuminated red dot optic and not a very good one at that.
    EOTech is the only true Holographic (& also the Bushnell Holosight which is actually made by EOTech) - (secondly) NC Star is pretty much nothing more than AIRSOFT OPTICAL Grade and were I you...I sure wouldn't bet my bacon on it.

oh ..I just stuck it on there for fun.....I'm thinking of a longer scope next...but I just stuck that on for the fun of it to see how it works......yeah..it was cheap so...I got it .......this isn't for defense at all...more target range queen than anything else...for defense I use a glock 23 or 1911 combat commander.......

this is just my toy.....

Steve

that is a nice build, great job.. bet it is fun to shoot.

Administrator
    Take a look at this one. The LUCID HD7 - It was just Video Reviewed on DC by MilitaryArms and you can 100% trust a review by him.
    It looks to be very impressive for the money.

Watch the video. - well, actually there are two videos there now...the main one and the shorter water submersion test.~~~> CLICK HERE
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Nice!!!...I'll have to check out that sight more!!!..

thanks..

Steve

I added a composite stock, new sling and detachable 20-round composite magazine to my mint-condition Russian SKS last year that instantly made it my favorite (cheap to shoot) plinking rifle and varmint-popper. Even though I outfitted it with respectable optics, I went against my common-sense judgement and tried out one of those aftermarket bolt covers that's tapped to accept standard optical mounts - FAIL.

Even the tightest fitting bolt cover had so much natural "play" that I could make tighter shot groups with my 12ga. HD scatter-gun. So, the only thing that really gave it dead-on long range accuracy was biting the financial bullet and having a gunsmith tap the receiver itself to accomodate a solid-fitting saddle mount for the optics.

Sweet little Ruskie rifle.

Administrator
    Sometimes you need to do a little "work" on a bolt cover in order to eliminate all slop/play.

Looks like a pretty fun toy there...nice job.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Take it from someone with over 25 years of experience with Russian, Chinese, and Yugo SKS rifles. The receiver cover optic bases do not hold zero. None of them do, thay are a waste of money. The covers move under recoil and each time you remove the cover to clean the rifle you will lose your settings. Also do not try to attach any optic to the Tapco hand-guard rail since it will move also when you fire the rifle.

While not inexpensive this is basically the only option for optics on an SKS that works. You remove the rear sight leaf and it mounts to the rear sight base. Its a high quality unit and works very well and is rock solid.
    http://scoutscopes.com/sks-scope-mou...anodized-6795/

Nothing wrong IMO with doing a "tactical job" on a beatup Chinese SKS, but here is what the SKS should look like. All original as they should be. These rifles have and will continue to rise in value and as collectable firearms with time if left all original.

Also and this is very important. You need to make sure the rifle is 922r compliant with BATF federal regulations since you have altered the original imported configuration.

Please watch and read these links for more info on this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X64TXn60CA0

http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc167103936

http://www.thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/Bu...rifyCompliance
    Eaglebeak likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

thanks for the info..judging by your list...I should be compliant....

where did you get that rail fwd???....that's what I'd like to install next .....the aft rail I have on the cover is interesting that it isn't stable....that sight I have on it now is just for the fun of it...

I did a quick count and found I have about 840 rnds now....wally world has great prices on russian ammo...

Steve

Looks good Steve! I have a norinco that I put a tapco on and 30rd magazine and its awesome. I love its accuracy also. I have stuck with the factory sights so far and like the old irons. I always run these for a while before deciding on optics........pirate.....I agree with you 100000% on the keeping it original thing....I am going to get a few more and they are staying like they were intended too.....nice guns by the way

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
    where did you get that rail fwd???....that's what I'd like to install next .....

Steve
    The link for the scout mount is in my original post.

Here is a forum site with some great info on SKS rifles
    Survivor's SKS Boards - Index
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

thanks ....I missed that post .....I'm actually on the survivors sks board......I don't post often but do try to gleen alot of info...

thanks for the info..

Steve

Sponsored Links