Sixto's patrol rifle update

This is a discussion on Sixto's patrol rifle update within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can we get to Texas from Ohio? Hell no it isnt off topic, its great conversation. Carry on. I got busy at work, never took ...

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Sixto's patrol rifle update

Administrator
    Can we get to Texas from Ohio?

Hell no it isnt off topic, its great conversation. Carry on.

I got busy at work, never took picture and the rifle is hanging in my locker and I'm at home now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Can we get to Texas from Ohio?

Hell no it isnt off topic, its great conversation. Carry on.
    Nah, my Ma would kill me if I miss this Thanksgiving, I haven't been here for one since '07. And that's my next time off work. We could have Jon up here to shoot ditch chickens with AR's
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Its hard enough with a shotgun. Looks like we are going to have nice weather, which means its going to be crowded. Make sure you wear orange. And you wont miss dinner. My intention is to start early am, and be outta there around noon.

And to keep things on topic, I'm getting pissed about the PRO. I have less patience than a 2 year old when I want something.

About the mag side bar... I did not mean to imply that the 30's suck or anything, its just more of a personal preference thing for me. 20 rounds in a semi automatic is plenty. If I expend 20 rounds in my little dot on the map, 10 more probably wouldn't make a difference.
    "Just blame Sixto"

RKM
    I'll chime in with my noob opinion... I love my Grippod for shooting prone or off a bench. It works for me. I have 2 20round PMAG's for bench shooting, though 30 rounders still work. When I shoot my AK off the bench, I use the mag (hardly EVER bench my AK). I load all my mags to full capacity. I NEVER keep my GI mags loaded at all. I did put Magpul followers in my GI mags to help with reliability. The GI's I have are already heavily used, I don't want to crack the lips by keeping them loaded. PMAGS I keep loaded with the cap on.

Its hard enough with a shotgun. Looks like we are going to have nice weather, which means its going to be crowded. Make sure you wear orange.

And to keep things on topic, I'm getting pissed about the PRO. I have less patience than a 2 year old when I want something.
    Yeah, I'll wear some orange, I don't really want to get an arrow in my hindquarters, or to get a face full of birdshot. Maybe with luck everyone will be too hungover from the night before to wake up early.

How long are they telling you on the PRO?

Also remember, a lot of people used to think a Magellan grip on an M4 was a good idea and you also didn't need lube.
    I just saw this edit Jon, honestly I don't even know what a Magellan grip is, so I can't remember that. And I saw you added more names. I guess I could add my name to the "I'm not using the mag as a contact point crowd, but no one knows or cares who I am really, so it doesn't matter.

I'll chime in with my noob opinion... I love my Grippod for shooting prone or off a bench. It works for me. I have 2 20round PMAG's for bench shooting, though 30 rounders still work. When I shoot my AK off the bench, I use the mag (hardly EVER bench my AK). I load all my mags to full capacity. I NEVER keep my GI mags loaded at all. I did put Magpul followers in my GI mags to help with reliability. The GI's I have are already heavily used, I don't want to crack the lips by keeping them loaded. PMAGS I keep loaded with the cap on.
    I think Grip-pods are pretty handy actually. They were an issued item for us. I just wish they weren't so thick. But, they definately have their uses. They aren't as functional as a dedicated bi-pod, but they also don't make the weapon as unwieldy as a dedicated bi-pod. Try them with the legs back, and it messes with your grip on the handguard. Try it with the legs forward, and they are always catching on things and getting in the way. The grip-pod alleviates that issue, and provides a stable base for prone/supported fire.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    No time frame on the PRO. It will show up when it shows up. So, I can be impatient and pay the retail price off the internet somewhere, or wait and save 50-75 bucks. The only thing I like more than my guns is my money. Its hard to separate me from either.
    "Just blame Sixto"

No time frame on the PRO. It will show up when it shows up. So, I can be impatient and pay the retail price off the internet somewhere, or wait and save 50-75 bucks. The only thing I like more than my guns is my money. Its hard to separate me from either.
    Patience Grasshopper, when the time is right, and all the stars align, someone will have your PRO at your price.

Of course, you could go with a time and happiness vs. money argument. How much more happiness will getting it sooner bring you? And how much in a dollar amount is that happiness worth? Is it worth 50-75 bucks of happiness to have it now?

I really do want to take a look at the PRO after you get it if you don't mind. I am wanting to do a middy build, hopefully once that side gig kicks in I will have funds to start, and have a suspicion that a PRO will be at the top of my list to put on it. That build is going to be mostly higher end than the bushy I have now. I wanna go BCM upper, maybe a PSA lower, not sure on the parts kit, and all Magpulled out, cause I like to get all hopped up on Magpul furniture.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    I'll let you know when I get it. I can share my toys.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'll let you know when I get it. I can share my toys.
    Well, at least you are better than a two year old when it comes to that.

If you hear of anyone trying to sell a upper tier AR in the are at a good price, and are tapped out, lemme know. While I wanna do the build, if I Colt or similar came along at the right price, I'd be okay with that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    "I don't want to crack the lips by keeping them loaded."

ChapStick works great for cracked lips.

It wouldn't take long for you guys to drive here from Ohio... We can do some hog hunting with NODs while y'all are here. Maybe pick one one off with the 50.

Keep an eye out for a used Comp m3. I sold my M4 for $400.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Slip 2000 EWL or Frog Lube. Anything will work but these are 2 of the best. Just keep it wet, which is more important than clean.
    I've had some FTE issues with FrogLube in my Glock 19 recently. I switched to SLiP 2000 EWL and EWG, and the issues seemed to have melted away. A few other members have reported similar issues along with increased wear with their pistols.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

So when are we all getting together for a weekend shoot?? I have access to over 2,000 acres I can use any time....
    Can I come? It's not a bad drive for me, and my brother lives nearby, so it would kill at least a couple birds with one stone!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

So when are we all getting together for a weekend shoot?? I have access to over 2,000 acres I can use any time....
    1090 miles for me. I get bitchy sitting on a plane for more than 3 hours, and I've already done my car seat duty (Denver CO to West Palm Beach non stop then back again 2 days later, changing seats every 5 hours at fuel stops - 4 person rotation in a VW Jetta).

$484 in fuel for my truck at current prices round trip. Gonna have to look at flight and car rental. Won't be until Jan or Feb for me [seasonal layoff]. Outta be interesting flying with my arsenal, ammo is gonna be an issue due to restrictions on flights. Then occupying the wife while I have some "Boys" time.

Would be awesome to have a DC.com meet & greet & shoot. Maybe throw in an impromptu 3 gun match. Of course I say this then we end up with 500 members showing up and drive Jon into schitzoville.

You guys sure chatted it up last night. Sorry I missed out.

Went to my preferred local FFL yesterday to look around at some ARs and do a little touchy feely. Got an interesting below MSRP quote on a DD v5 middy. Afraid to look to see shat I could get a Noveske, Larue, and LMT at. Both will still hit my current build price by the time I get done tweaking for comfort. I gotta quit shopping and stick with what I got going.

Sneaky Bags - interesting, but pricy ($125) for mid size. Had some nice messenger satchel type bags too. Need to at least get a hard case, soft side would be nice, but not something I really need unless I can attach it to my BOB that I don't have yet.

Here's today's stupid question - Are the rails on the AR standard Weaver size? Don't want to buy an accessory that will not fit the rails.

Which leads to another question - even on a free float handguard, would a bipod mounted full forward be too much load, or best to put it back at the base of the barrel? On my PSL, my bipod is mounted to the receiver, out of must not put pressure on the handguard or obviously the barrel.

Military training - I am trying to remember the article I read way back in the before time. In WWI shooting for accuracy was trained, and it was an average of like 5 shots per 1 downed enemy combatant. WWII that number jumped to like 500 with the semi auto & LMG becoming prevalent with every infantryman. By Korea the number jumped to 5k and something to do with suppressive fire, then in Vietnam it shot up to 50k. We won't get into artillery tonnage.

Has that number started dropping? I personally am a believer in not squeezing the trigger until I am reasonably certain I can hit my target. I never got into the whole "Keep pulling the trigger as fast as you can until you either run out, or the target falls." NOTE - I have no LEO or Military background or training whatsoever.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

Here's today's stupid question - Are the rails on the AR standard Weaver size? Don't want to buy an accessory that will not fit the rails.

Which leads to another question - even on a free float handguard, would a bipod mounted full forward be too much load, or best to put it back at the base of the barrel? On my PSL, my bipod is mounted to the receiver, out of must not put pressure on the handguard or obviously the barrel.

Military training - I am trying to remember the article I read way back in the before time. In WWI shooting for accuracy was trained, and it was an average of like 5 shots per 1 downed enemy combatant. WWII that number jumped to like 500 with the semi auto & LMG becoming prevalent with every infantryman. By Korea the number jumped to 5k and something to do with suppressive fire, then in Vietnam it shot up to 50k. We won't get into artillery tonnage.

Has that number started dropping? I personally am a believer in not squeezing the trigger until I am reasonably certain I can hit my target. I never got into the whole "Keep pulling the trigger as fast as you can until you either run out, or the target falls." NOTE - I have no LEO or Military background or training whatsoever.
    If AR rails are in spec they will be Picatinny sized. I am honestly not too sure about size difference between those and Weaver, although I believe there is some.

With a free float tube, I would think mounting on the Handguard would be okay. Refer to my post above about Grip-pods, for my general views about putting dedicated bi-pods on AR carbines (does not apply to hunting/varmint/full sized rifles as much, more so for fighting carbines), but to summarize, they get in the way, and add weight.

I'm not sure what the round to hit ratio is these days. But I would guess it is still fairly high, as suppressing fire from MG's and the like are still used. There are some factors due to the unconventional nature of the conflict that would make me think it could be a bit lower, but I don't know.
    Last edited by buckeye .45; November 20th, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Links