Sixto's patrol rifle update

This is a discussion on Sixto's patrol rifle update within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've read that story about the paralyzed marine. Seems to me that there were other factors that share at least equal blame to his incident, ...

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Sixto's patrol rifle update

I've read that story about the paralyzed marine.

Seems to me that there were other factors that share at least equal blame to his incident, besides mag retention. I remember reading that he wasn't properly trained to keep his body armor squared to the threat, maximizing its defensive properties. So he got shot while exposing the weakest part of his armor.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I've read that story about the paralyzed marine.

Seems to me that there were other factors that share at least equal blame to his incident, besides mag retention. I remember reading that he wasn't properly trained to keep his body armor squared to the threat, maximizing its defensive properties. So he got shot while exposing the weakest part of his armor.
    This is from the article:

For a quick summary, here are the mistakes I made in combat that I believe led to my severe injury and permanent disability:
    Assuming I killed the bad guy with one shot to the torso area
    Performing such a slow reload
    Retaining my empty magazine during the middle of such an intense gunfight
    Stowing an empty magazine in the same location as my fresh magazines
    Looking down at my weapon while reloading instead of downrange in the direction of the threat(s)
    Having my rifle in the Low Ready while reloading
    Standing bladed and not taking advantage of the protection that my ballistic plates offered
    Like I said, a lot of those are now different, at least were in my training. Actually, all of them were. But there was a very big difference between gear and training before OIF 1, and when I went, which was much later in OIF.

But those are really all things that people who want to use a rifle for defensive purposes should be aware of. Maybe not the plates so much (unless you have them.) But the rest of them definately. Hammer pairs, if not failure to stops on targets. Reload whenever you have time and have fired rounds. Know how to reload quickly with your weapon still on target. Have a gear set-up that allows you to stow your used/empty mags somewhere that isn't in your mag pouches.
    jonconsiglio likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    If AR rails are in spec they will be Picatinny sized. I am honestly not too cure about size difference between those and Weaver, although I believe there is some. ....
    Found it

What are the differences between the “Picatinny” and the “Weaver” systems? The profile of the two systems is virtually identical. Depending on the quality of the machining done by the manufacturer, the two systems should be indistinguishable from the profile. The key difference lies in the placement of the recoil grooves and with width of the grooves. MIL-STD-1913 (Picatinny) grooves are .206” wide and have a center-to-center width of .394”. The placement of these grooves has to be consistent in order for it to be a true “Picatinny” MIL-STD system. Weaver systems have a .180” width of recoil groove and are not necessarily consistent in a center-to-center measurement from one groove to the next. In many instances, a Weaver system has a specific application that it is machined for, so interchangeability is not necessarily an issue. A MIL-STD-1913 system must adhere to the specifications listed above in order for it to be considered MIL-STD, since the military desires uniformity in the recoil grooves to allow for different systems to be mounted on the weapon with no concern for compatibility.

Now, what does this mean to you? Boiled down, it means that accessories designed for a Weaver system will, in most cases, fit on a “Picatinny” system. The reverse, however, is probably not the case. Due to the larger recoil groove, “Picatinny” accessories will not fit a Weaver system. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule, but for a good rule-of-thumb, “Picatinny” won’t fit Weaver, but Weaver will fit “Picatinny”.
    I need to remember that Google is my friend.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    So when are we all getting together for a weekend shoot?? I have access to over 2,000 acres I can use any time....
    geez Jon, you don't know how bad I'd like to take you up on that offer.....I like Corpus, its only a 9.5 hour drive for me
    I want to go hunting so bad I can't hardly stand it

and on the 30 vs 20 mag thing.....the 30 makes a great arm rest for me when the AR is in the vertical rack in the patrol car
    I have some 20 round Cmags but all my Pmags are 30, just personal preference with no scientific reasoning applied
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

That's a good point on the 20 round mags. There's rack I've seen attached to the floor in front of the backseat in an unmarked and it pretty much needed a 20 round may for it to lock down where it was mounted.

As for Corpus, I'm serious about it. Anyone interested, maybe we can set something up. I really enjoy getting out there for a three or four day hunt.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    That's a good point on the 20 round mags. There's rack I've seen attached to the floor in front of the backseat in an unmarked and it pretty much needed a 20 round may for it to lock down where it was mounted.

As for Corpus, I'm serious about it. Anyone interested, maybe we can set something up. I really enjoy getting out there for a three or four day hunt.
    Are there deer on this property?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Are there deer on this property?
    Yep. As well as javelina, hogs, coyotes, jack rabbits and the occasional poacher. The last four are free game year round and there's no restrictions on suppressors or night vision.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    Still waiting on the blasted PRO. I'm going to go function test and sight in without it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Still waiting on the blasted PRO. I'm going to go function test and sight in without it.
    Shouldn't you sight in the irons before slapping an optic on there anyways?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Shouldn't you sight in the irons before slapping an optic on there anyways?
    Of course, but was hoping to do it all in one day. Im just going to go ahead and put the gun "in service" asap. Screw the PRO for now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well gee whiz. Gods forbid you get 2 range trips in a week.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Yep. As well as javelina, hogs, coyotes, jack rabbits and the occasional poacher. The last four are free game year round and there's no restrictions on suppressors or night vision.
    Gonna have to find my hunters safety card. Haven't used it since I was 16.

TX have a bounty on any of the "varmint" or nuisance wildlife?
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Gonna have to find my hunters safety card. Haven't used it since I was 16.
    You should have seen the guy when I got my first hunting permit in Maryland a few years ago. I got my hunters safety waaay back in the early 60's in New York State. The guy looked at my card and asked where the number was, I had to tell him it was so old they weren't putting numbers on them back then!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    My, we have covered a lot of ground in this thread. I intended to go out to the farm today to shoot my new rifle, but its been raining non stop. I know I should stop being such a wuss, but why get wet if I don't have too?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    You need a rail mounted umbrella.
    RKM and Rock and Glock like this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Links