Sixto's patrol rifle update - Page 13

Sixto's patrol rifle update

This is a discussion on Sixto's patrol rifle update within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by zeppelin03 I need to get a rifle so I can join in on this drama. Perhaps something with a spider on it. ...

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Sixto's patrol rifle update

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I need to get a rifle so I can join in on this drama.

Perhaps something with a spider on it.
    Hmmmm.

If you were looking for a complete rifle, and not going the foolish route that I took and building one, I'd look at BCM, Colt, and Daniel Defense in that order. I'm no expert, but that is what I have gleaned as being tier one for completes. I do find it nauseating that I am spending as much on my upper as a complete.

I'm gonna go throw up now.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Administrator
    Here is caveat about my "build"- The only reason why I chose Spikes over BCM is the fact that I found a to good of a deal to pass up. It wasn't the exact configuration I would have chosen either, but I also got the rifle for half of what I would have otherwise. So, some concessions were made and I was able to purchase more magazines, ammo and other odds and ends I would not have otherwise keeping to my budget. Now, I'm not saying that Spikes isn't a quality rifle- it is. I would not even have considered it if I thought it was not. But, (business practices set aside) there are some little things Spikes does that I do not like or would just prefer that it was different. The big thing is barrel twist. I'd prefer a 1/7, but the 1/9 that the Spikes has is fine for the role this rifle is going to play. I would have preferred a different rear sight other than the Magpul it came with... but the Magpul is serviceable and it will do the job I need it too just fine. So, my "complaints" are little ticky tacky things, but add them together and it would equal me buying another rifle if all other factors were out. And truth be told, if I were putting this together just because and it wasnt going to be a workhorse, I would have held out and got exactly what I wanted.

And the ML2 is on its way. I should have it on the 16th. Even though it is not what I originally wanted, I'm happy with the way it turned out. I think I will be better off with the ML2 given my shooting style and use.
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 13th, 2011 at 01:32 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My father has a spikes. Its a nice rifle, but less of a deal since they raised prices.

I too have a few issues with them. One being their marketing. It seems a little over the top. Something about it makes me question their management decisions, and in turn their product. Perhaps its the fact that management is willing to marginalize an entire group for sales. The other issue is their product demand. From what I have gathered sales have gone up. I believe it is even noted on their site. It makes me wonder if they have adjusted to the increase appropriately or if QC is suffering.

Administrator
    Well, all the major components are here and installed. The Aimpoint arrived today. I'm going to switch out the front sling attachment this afternoon, the one I have is an El Cheapo I have to experiment with- I don't like this method. I'm switching back to my old school way for the sling mount. I need to cannibalize an old sling and mount to get the parts I need and I never like to do that... but, its sat in my pile of gun junk for years.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 17th, 2011 at 07:24 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It's about time!

Looks good.

About time, it looks good though.

Now go blast something
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Yes, it was a long drawn out process but it did not put a dent in my gun budget and I learned a lot about modern AR dressings. I really have not paid a whole lot of attention to the AR aftermarket in some time. I'm already planning out my next one, I just have to locate the donor rifle at the right price.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I just have to locate the donor rifle at the right price.
    I have the AR bug too. I'm always on the look out for my next project. PSA was selling stripped lowers for under $80 last time I looked.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have the AR bug too. I'm always on the look out for my next project. PSA was selling stripped lowers for under $80 last time I looked.
    Got mine for $49 on black Monday. I suspect there will be another year end/after xmas sale across the board.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I hope they do. I can't decide what project to do next, but would be nice to have a lower sitting around.

Should really complete my saiga first. Needs some fresh hand guards.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, it was a long drawn out process but it did not put a dent in my gun budget and I learned a lot about modern AR dressings. I really have not paid a whole lot of attention to the AR aftermarket in some time. I'm already planning out my next one, I just have to locate the donor rifle at the right price.
    What's the next one going to be?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    What's the next one going to be?
    I'm thinking another mid length, set up more for accuracy would be fun. But wait, I already have that with my CARA4. I have an 20" Hbar too.

What I really ought to do, is clone my patrol rifle so I can have two exactly alike. One for work, the other for home.... but thats boring.

I'd really like an SBR, but it bothers me paying the extra money for it, when in all reality, I'm probably better off with a 16" anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm thinking another mid length, set up more for accuracy would be fun. But wait, I already have that with my CARA4. I have an 20" Hbar too.

What I really ought to do, is clone my patrol rifle so I can have two exactly alike. One for work, the other for home.... but thats boring.

I'd really like an SBR, but it bothers me paying the extra money for it, when in all reality, I'm probably better off with a 16" anyway.
    What would be fun, if you had the coin, would be a suppressed SBR.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

RKM
    I feel the exact same way. I've pondered doing an SBR, but really for me, there is absolutely no reason for me to have one and pay the $200 tax stamp. 16" is more effective anyway. I admit the only reason I want one..... is because they look cool. That's not good enough for me to actually buy or build an SBR. If I had a real use for it (or money to burn), that might be different.

Once you get your first SBR or suppressor, it's all over. If you have an AR for home defense, the 10.5" or 11.5" is perfect. With TAP your effective range from a 10.5" where it's still fragmenting at it's max consistently is about 50 yards. With a 16", we're looking at about 175 or so. These ranges are the bare minimum and 75gr TAP will still be incredibly effective from a 10.5" at a couple hundred meters. Switch to TSX and it'll be performing at 100% consistently at 150 to 200 yards and still extremely effective well beyond that. Out of a 16", it's at it's max beyond 300 yards and of course still running strong well past that. So, unless you're on an entry team, TSX is the way to go right now especially for patrol use or a trunk gun. For general use, I prefer a 14.5" to a 16" even if pinned.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Sponsored Links