Sixto's patrol rifle update - Page 2

Sixto's patrol rifle update

This is a discussion on Sixto's patrol rifle update within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The AIMPOINT Patrol Rifle Optic Pro. ~ You gonna like it....

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Sixto's patrol rifle update

Administrator
    The AIMPOINT Patrol Rifle Optic Pro. ~ You gonna like it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Must have pictures!

Sixto, I understand how you felt the need to get this project update off your chest and share with the rest of us, but you know better than to post something like that, with that much detail,
    with
    no
    PICTURES!!

Yes I am getting on the bandwagon on the matter even though you are tired of reading it.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

What rear irons (or set if it doesn't have a fixed front) are you going to use? Is it a carbine or mid length gas system. Glad you got a good deal, those are hard to pass up. Let us know how it runs for you when you get your Aimpont. The PRO is a great choice, especially over that EoTech...though personally I'm thinking of picking up an EXPS-3 just to try because I WANT to like them, but we'll see.

Now, I'm going to throw a couple little suggestins out there... First, the VTAC light mount should be fine, but IWC (made by mount-n-slot) offers a great mount for use with those handguards which is a bit more solid and is tucked a little more out of the way. Since this is a duty rifle, I'm going to suggest dumping that RRA trigger and going with a standard GI or if you really like the two stage, the Geissele S2S or SSA. The S2S is inexpensive in terms of triggers. If you need some links about the RRA, I post some for you. Besides for that trigger, I think everything was a good choice and I look forward to a range report.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    First, pictures- When I build it, they will come

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    I'm curious as to what you learned about the Eotech that made you switch to the Aimpoint?

OpJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Me too.
    I'm not really interested in starting a debate between Eotech and Aimpoint. Both have there merits. I'm from what primarily was an entry type of setup to a short range marksman "hold a position" rifle. The Eotech's sight is open to the elements. An incident I was involved in recently really exposed this issue; I had to hold a position covering an armed and barricaded subject. It was my job to shoot him if he made a move towards the entry team. Light rain on the lens distorted the sight enough that made it a little more than annoying. Also, the reticle covered a lot of my target, making it tough to see the movement I needed to see.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Did you get the CTR with the friction lock? If so, do you think it is a must? I have read review that say it is a waste of $40 and review that say it's needed, so an honest opinion would be nice, since I have been wanting one forever!
    No and no.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    What are your department rules pertaining to 'patrol rifle'? Can you basically build anything you want and toss it in the trunk (or rack)? Are you required to carry it on duty at all times?

Just curious......

-
    Fairly easy and liberal; Nobody is required to carry one. You cant simply build anything you want, it must be an AR of good quality and appropriate nature. The department will provide a rifle, however, unless you have a special assignment, the rifle is not "yours". I'm no longer in an assignment that would require M4 capability, but another officer is taking my slot, so I elected to give him my assigned M4 so he is properly equipped for his new role. I think "community rifle" idea inherently dangerous, and will not participate in that policy; hence me building my own.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    By stock mount do you mean the one with the single screw to tighten it down onto the rifle?

Personally, I'd ditch that thing, and go with a Larue QD mount. (what my Aimpoint is in).

I'm curious about the PRO, wanna do a side by side test? My ML-3 vs your PRO?
    No problem. Another guy I work with is running a 3 now, so I'm familiar with it already. You are welcome to take a look and shoot with the PRO whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Co witness BUIS?
    Of course!

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    What rear irons (or set if it doesn't have a fixed front) are you going to use? Is it a carbine or mid length gas system. Glad you got a good deal, those are hard to pass up. Let us know how it runs for you when you get your Aimpont. The PRO is a great choice, especially over that EoTech...though personally I'm thinking of picking up an EXPS-3 just to try because I WANT to like them, but we'll see.

Now, I'm going to throw a couple little suggestins out there... First, the VTAC light mount should be fine, but IWC (made by mount-n-slot) offers a great mount for use with those handguards which is a bit more solid and is tucked a little more out of the way. Since this is a duty rifle, I'm going to suggest dumping that RRA trigger and going with a standard GI or if you really like the two stage, the Geissele S2S or SSA. The S2S is inexpensive in terms of triggers. If you need some links about the RRA, I post some for you. Besides for that trigger, I think everything was a good choice and I look forward to a range report.
    Funny you mentioned the trigger. I already went back to the stock trigger, LOL. I had it on the bench last night and started looking things over, I elected to put the stock trigger back in. As far as the back up sights, I have a Troy industries that I ordered a while back, I'll have to look to see what model; its at the office and I'm at home. As of right now, it has a Magpul flip up on it... I might just keep it on there. The Troy is a little nicer, but I kinda like the Magpul.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    By stock mount do you mean the one with the single screw to tighten it down onto the rifle?

Personally, I'd ditch that thing, and go with a Larue QD mount. (what my Aimpoint is in).

I'm curious about the PRO, wanna do a side by side test? My ML-3 vs your PRO?
    I always suggest a LaRue mount... But in the case of the PRO, the fact that it comes with that particular mount is part of its value. The M2, M3 and Micros, for example, either don't come with a mount or offer a basic mount not really suitable for an M4 and we need to provide our own, in which case I always recommend the LaRue.

The PRO is essentially an M3 with different electronics which gives it less battery life, though 3 years on a mid setting is still impressive. It has 4 NV settings and submersible to something like 100 or 150 feet. It has the 2 MOA dot and can use the all the same mounts, though unlike the others, it comes with the QRP2. For $400, it's pretty hard to beat.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Thanks for the information on the EoTech. I don't plan to be shooting in the rain, but a lot of things happen that aren't planned.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'm going to suggest dumping that RRA trigger and going with a standard GI or if you really like the two stage, the Geissele S2S or SSA. The S2S is inexpensive in terms of triggers. If you need some links about the RRA, I post some for you. Besides for that trigger, I think everything was a good choice and I look forward to a range report.
    Jon, thanks for the trigger recommendations! You rock!

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm not really interested in starting a debate between Eotech and Aimpoint. Both have there merits. I'm from what primarily was an entry type of setup to a short range marksman "hold a position" rifle. The Eotech's sight is open to the elements. An incident I was involved in recently really exposed this issue; I had to hold a position covering an armed and barricaded subject. It was my job to shoot him if he made a move towards the entry team. Light rain on the lens distorted the sight enough that made it a little more than annoying. Also, the reticle covered a lot of my target, making it tough to see the movement I needed to see.
    Interesting. Glad to hear a good reason behind it. It seems a LOT of people use the Aimpoint's compared to Eotech's. Battery life for one I'm sure is better. I have a Bushnell/Eotech on my AR. I have am Aimpoint "replica" (Primary Arms) on my AK. Far from Aimpoint quality, but similar in operation and use. Now I've never used my optics in the real world other than range use, but my only problem with the small micro dots it that the "tube" you look through is so small. Whereas the Eotech, it seems like you get better field of view. You're more so looking through a sheet of glass rather than looking through a tube. I prefer a single dot over the Eotech retical, but I like looking though the Eotech more than I do a red dot. Again, I have no real world experience. My mind may change if ever forced into a real world situation.

Just sharing my opinion is all. Looking forward to pics :)

Keep in mind red dot optics aren't designed to be viewed through like a traditional scope. They're meant to be brought up into view for the shot with both eyes open and the focus on the target. I used to think that way as well about viewing through the tube, then after a couple classes, it clicked and now all I see is a ghost outline of the optic and a floating dot.
    QKShooter and rstickle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Jon, thanks for the trigger recommendations! You rock!
    No problem, thanks...

Keep in mind red dot optics aren't designed to be viewed through like a traditional scope. They're meant to be brought up into view for the shot with both eyes open and the focus on the target. I used to think that way as well about viewing through the tube, then after a couple classes, it clicked and now all I see is a ghost outline of the optic and a floating dot.
    Once you (I am using that in general here, because I am positive you have already experienced this), gets enough use and practice with a RDS type sight utilizing the Bindon Aiming concept, and it just clicks, it is hard to go back to another type of optic for defensive rifle use. It just is that awesome.

If the PRO had been out a few years back, I am sure that I would have bought one instead of the ML-3 I did get, it looks like a great value. As far as the mounts, I have an issue with screw down mounts like that, and think that have a single screw down point holding down a serious rifle is asking to issues. You can loc--tite it I guess, but my experience with systems like that isn't good. Issues ACOGs have screw down mounts, and just from running and jumping and playing they get knocked loose on a fairly regular basis.

As an aside for SIXTO, it will mess up the cosmetics slightly, but after you tighten that sucker down, take a paint marker or white out or something, and do a horizontal line accross it, so that the line is level with the base. That way you have a quick visual of if it has been knocked out of whack.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    I don't care about aesthetics on on working gun, and I usually do mark position and sight settings on my rifles. One more change, I found a old Insight tech M3 hiding on my work bench, I think I might use that instead of the G3, just because it's a little sleeker.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    It sounds like you'll have a nice patrol carbine. I recently purchased and installed the Aimpoint PRO on my Colt 6920 and I absolutely love it. I keep it on all the time and so far it's stayed on which I imagine it will for the next 3 years and holds its zero very well. I also have the VTAC sling which is also very nice and can't see myself going with any other sling for my AR. I can't wait to see pics of your carbine Sixto!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I used to mark a lot of stuff on my work rifle, including the knobs, and positions of the optic, as well as where the laser unit was.

I was looking forward to seeing how good that vtac mount was, but that is an understandable swap. I guess I need to give VTAC slings an honest try, since there are apparently all the rage. Heck, in country I used a cut up M-249 SAW sling to make a single point, and that worked great for me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links