Sixto's patrol rifle update

This is a discussion on Sixto's patrol rifle update within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; BINGO! "Keep in mind red dot optics aren't designed to be viewed through like a traditional scope. They're meant to be brought up into view ...

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Sixto's patrol rifle update

Administrator
    BINGO!

"Keep in mind red dot optics aren't designed to be viewed through like a traditional scope. They're meant to be brought up into view for the shot with both eyes open and the focus on the target. I used to think that way as well about viewing through the tube, then after a couple classes, it clicked and now all I see is a ghost outline of the optic and a floating dot."
    Rock and Glock likes this.

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Keep in mind red dot optics aren't designed to be viewed through like a traditional scope. They're meant to be brought up into view for the shot with both eyes open and the focus on the target. I used to think that way as well about viewing through the tube, then after a couple classes, it clicked and now all I see is a ghost outline of the optic and a floating dot.
    I always try to remember that. I'll always catch myself half way through shooting and switch to both eyes open. I think I'd like the bigger Aimpoints, like the CompM4? (I'm not familiar with they're model names), just because it has a bigger viewing window. I don't know it's hard to explain.

I just like the smaller style on my AK because I have the Ultimak rail and can still utilize the irons through it. On an AR, I'd want something bigger, like the Eotech or Comp M4

Administrator
    Which is also why shooters are not taking proper advantage of a true Holographic Weapon Sight AKA The EOTech (which is NOT the same as a simple illuminated red dot) IF they are co-witnessing it directly ON the front sight SINCE the whole advantage and purpose of the holographic image as seen through the EOTech is that the reticule is projected out to the plane of the intended target so WHY on Earth would you stick the reticule right on the front sight at the weapon location?
    Kinda defeats the entire purpose and advantage of the generated Holographic image.
    Yeah...I know everybody does it but, that don't make it right and that's a story for another day.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I always try to remember that. I'll always catch myself half way through shooting and switch to both eyes open. I think I'd like the bigger Aimpoints, like the CompM4? (I'm not familiar with they're model names), just because it has a bigger viewing window. I don't know it's hard to explain.

I just like the smaller style on my AK because I have the Ultimak rail and can still utilize the irons through it. On an AR, I'd want something bigger, like the Eotech or Comp M4
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't care about aesthetics on on working gun, and I usually do mark position and sight settings on my rifles. One more change, I found a old Insight tech M3 hiding on my work bench, I think I might use that instead of the G3, just because it's a little sleeker.
    Still, if you haven't checked out the LaRue web site for mounts, let me be at least the third person to suggest that.

One of what I think of as their benefits aside from the quick on and off, is the return to zero if you do remove the optic for some reason. They also sell a set of clips for your rail that will mark the position... (Oh, and the 'dillos and rub that usually make their way into your order as freebees are great! )
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

RKM
    I don't co-witness my holographic sight with my AR. I do have a standard fixed sight, but Completely flat-out ignore the fact that it's even there, unless I slip up the rear sight when the sight batteries run out. Though in the picture it looks like it's lined up with the front sight post, that's not what I'm looking at. Bringing the rifle up quick it's not always perfectly centered, hence the advantage of paralax free sights. On my AK, I rise my eye a little higher so the dot floats above the iron sights in the center of the sight picture, but if the sight dies, I can lower my eye just a little and use irons.

AR

AK

I don't want to thread jack anymore, sorry. :)

Administrator
    I just ordered another bills worth for this rifle... I'm going to have to crack open the safe and sell something.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I just ordered another bills worth for this rifle... I'm going to have to crack open the safe and sell something.
    Selling anything good?

What did you spend the other bill on?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    I dont know what I'll sell. Maybe an AR if there is one in there that I haven't looked at in a while.

I bought some different sling mounts, some 20 round P mags and a section of rail.

...and I started a 20" project too. I have an Colt Hbar, but something as close as the plain old GI I had back in the day.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I dont know what I'll sell. Maybe an AR if there is one in there that I haven't looked at in a while.

Something worthy per my other thread on the matter??

And now the seed is planted...we'll see what grows.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Something worthy per my other thread on the matter??

And now the seed is planted...we'll see what grows.
    What other thread?
    "Just blame Sixto"

What other thread?
    Gods help me, I may cross over to the dark [AR] side. Newby questions
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    Oh, that one... I'm one the fence whether I want to sell an AR or not. The little voice tells me its foolish, the accountant in me says sell. Thats beside the point though...

I did go into the shop this afternoon to tinker a little while I wait for parts to show up. I reassembled the Spikes and put the new butt stock on. I mounted the MOE forward grip, but didn't put the hand guards one yet, I thought it would be a waste of time because I have all the other junk to add when it shows up.

And I did take a picture...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Oh, that one... I'm one the fence whether I want to sell an AR or not. The little voice tells me its foolish, the accountant in me says sell. Thats beside the point though...

I did go into the shop this afternoon to tinker a little while I wait for parts to show up. I reassembled the Spikes and put the new butt stock on. I mounted the MOE forward grip, but didn't put the hand guards one yet, I thought it would be a waste of time because I have all the other junk to add when it shows up.

And I did take a picture...
    Well, where in the heck is the picture? Post it before we get blown into the land of OZ.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    He's a little tease, ain't he?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    I tried, but it wouldn't upload for some reason. I'll try again tonight after the family goes to bed; assuming we don't visit Oz as Buckeye mentioned.
    I will say the picture isn't much; it's a naked carbine with nothing but a stock. Most everything else is in boxes or in the mail. Bad news today though, the PRO is back ordered.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links