Sixto's patrol rifle update

This is a discussion on Sixto's patrol rifle update within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dang! I thought I had quenched my desire for the AR 15 when I built my DM rifle. Now I'm going to have to build ...

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Sixto's patrol rifle update

VIP Member
    Dang! I thought I had quenched my desire for the AR 15 when I built my DM rifle. Now I'm going to have to build a SBR. Jon my wife is going to put you on her hit list.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Huh, my only P-mags are black, sans window, I have never heard that before about the strength of materials issues.

I have no problem with GI mags, and have a boatload of them too. They do sit a bit slimmer in chest rigs and the like. Before my first deployment though, I decided to spend the dough to get my own bunch of P-mags to take with me. It wasn't uncommon to get a faulty GI mag from the armory that someone had bubba'd up, or smacked on a rock in training and dented the side in so it would no longer work. Since I was going in harms way, I wanted to increase the reliability factor, and my p-mags didn't fail me once that I remember, through all the training and two deployments.

The other reason is I have found they are a lot easier to keep hold of. Be it in mud, ran, sand, dirt, gloved hands or whatever. Sometimes the GI mags would get a little slick. But I think P-mags are a great deal, especially compared with some of the high end wonder magazines out there.

I also think 20 round mags for AR's are under-rated, but that is a topic for another time.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I'd definitely take almost ANY personally purchased mag over issued mags... Don't get me wrong, I really like my pmags, I just basically run them all and keep what works. For some reason though lately I'm just drawn to GI mags, and as Dunn as it is, I like when they wear and the gold color shows through. I have a couple Colt/Okay mags that are almost all that gold color.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I'd definitely take almost ANY personally purchased mag over issued mags... Don't get me wrong, I really like my pmags, I just basically run them all and keep what works. For some reason though lately I'm just drawn to GI mags, and as Dunn as it is, I like when they wear and the gold color shows through. I have a couple Colt/Okay mags that are almost all that gold color.
    Thats the photographer in you talking. The gold does look pretty on a worn mag, I'll give you that.

The main thing about GI mags, is really, by the time you buy them, and upgrade the follower, they aren't all that much less expensive than P-mags.

Interestingly, before my second deployment, my unit took some of their cash, and bought every grunt P-mags, and issued those out, as opposed to GI mags.

I have heard, but never seen, of issues with running a M-249 off P-mags. But, SAWs have trouble running off any mag generally.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post

The main thing about GI mags, is really, by the time you buy them, and upgrade the follower, they aren't all that much less expensive than P-mags.
    I'm buying Pmags for right around 10-11 bucks a piece, depending on quantity. I can't touch a GI mags for that. ( on a consistent basis anyway)
    "Just blame Sixto"

I get my GI mags with Magpul followers for $12 and NHMTG with the green followers for $10. Haven't gotten any of the new brown followers though to try. I don't like how they start with the round on the opposite side though.

Adding ranger plates to the GI mags also adds cost. I like them both. There's a new Tango Down mag out that's supposed to be good as well, but I haven't tried those out yet. Regardless of how or where I run my mags, I don't double them, so the wide base of the pmags isn't a big deal.

Im not sure what I'm paying for pmags. I'm going to start buying the ones without the window when I buy more and will also stick to just black. I can always paint them and will when I get around to painting my rifles. Right now most of mine have windows, which is fine, I just don't really ever use the windows, even when doing a tac reload then feeding that first mag again, for example.
    Footslogger likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    I got nothing more to add other than I hope the UPS man shows up today. I dont think he will though. I brought the rifle home, I have it torn down on the kitchen table. I guess I'll lube everything up and maybe paint or color fill for the heck of it- not much going on this afternoon.

Edit;
    Dang it... I just check my mailbox, the Vtac was in there... but they sent me the wrong one. I now have the multi cam sling. I might as well keep it, I really don't care, but it does piss me off a little.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I got nothing more to add other than I hope the UPS man shows up today. I dont think he will though. I brought the rifle home, I have it torn down on the kitchen table. I guess I'll lube everything up and maybe paint or color fill for the heck of it- not much going on this afternoon.

Edit;
    Dang it... I just check my mailbox, the Vtac was in there... but they sent me the wrong one. I now have the multi cam sling. I might as well keep it, I really don't care, but it does piss me off a little.
    What color did you want? I'll trade you a standard green Blue Force Gear/Vickers VCAS for it that has two QD sockets... I also have an ACU standard VCAS and a black padded, but that one is cut and only works attached at the stock and just ahead of the barrel nut, otherwise it's too tight. I've been meaning to pick up a multicam VCAS, but I'd like to Give the VTAC another try. Just sayin'...

Administrator
    Let me look at the Vickers real quick, I just might take you up on it. I have the padded multi cam right now- I was looking for the OD or black.

Edit; are the QD's sewed in?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Let me look at the Vickers real quick, I just might take you up on it. I have the padded multi cam right now- I was looking for the OD or black.

Edit; are the QD's sewed in?
    No, they're not sewn in. I buy the standard models in case I want to attach it another way plus I have a gen 1 SOPMOD stock without the QD sockets. I just mention it because I'll include them with the sling. I have the OD standard, black padded which is cut to fit me and my attachment method, and the ACU standard. I have QD attachments with all of them.

All of them also have that additional piece with the quick detach. I take them off, but they show them on the website.

The quick detach section would go on the rear of the sling and is a short section of material that would allow you to release the sling at your shoulder and not try to fool with the QD button on the socket.

The Vickers slings get expensive. They are $50 for the standard and $60 for the padded without the QD attachments. Those separately add another $35 or so, but it's well worth it. The material is great and very sturdy.

VCAS standard - http://www.blueforcegear.com/product...ng™.html

VCAS Padded - http://www.blueforcegear.com/product...ded-Sling.html

The way I have this one cut, it'll work from this position and with the attachment in the front for me. It might work at the barrel nut and the end plate (the longest configuration) with the quick detach snap. I'd have to email you a measurement to make sure it would work for you.

Black Padded

FG standard

ACU standard

VIP Member
    very cool sixto, sounds like a fun project, and then you get to use it at work

we are not so lucky, its rock river or colt, we are not allowed to have vertical grip, and only last year got to add and Eotech xps 2
    can have 1 or 2 point slings, no laser, can have a light, issued 80 rounds (I purchased more of the same round for some spare mags)
    nothing specific about mags, but I have Pmag with windows and without, I did purchase a bunch of cmags 20 and 30 rounders when they were $6 and $8 respectively, have about 25 pmags, and 10 pmags with windows....more on the way

interesting point about the eotech in the rain, i havent had that issue here...thanks to the stinking drought lol
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Administrator
    Jon, I just sent you a couple of PM's, ignore the first, I jumped the gun a little. I need to research a little more.

Zebra, yeah, I'm lucky I get to do pretty much what I want. But I am getting annoyed at the PRO- I buy everything gun related wholesale- I can't find one distrubutor that will sell them wholesale right now, which I believe is a direct violation of Aimpoint's contract. Its annoying...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Jon, I just sent you a couple of PM's, ignore the first, I jumped the gun a little. I need to research a little more.

Zebra, yeah, I'm lucky I get to do pretty much what I want. But I am getting annoyed at the PRO- I buy everything gun related wholesale- I can't find one distrubutor that will sell them wholesale right now, which I believe is a direct violation of Aimpoint's contract. Its annoying...
    No problem. I replied and cleared up a couple things as well...

Administrator
    Well, while I'm waiting for the brown man to show up with a box of happiness, lets talk lube.

Really, AR lube. We all know they need it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links