Sixto's patrol rifle update - Page 7

Sixto's patrol rifle update

This is a discussion on Sixto's patrol rifle update within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Slip 2000 EWL or Frog Lube. Anything will work but these are 2 of the best. Just keep it wet, which is more important than ...

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Sixto's patrol rifle update

Slip 2000 EWL or Frog Lube. Anything will work but these are 2 of the best. Just keep it wet, which is more important than clean.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    Yeah, I've been using Frog Lube for a while now. It holds up to auto fire pretty well, I'm sure it will be the same with an AR. I've never had a problem. I've never used Slip, but know a few who do- they seem to like it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What, no Gunzilla?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I do like gunzilla, it has served me well.

However, CLP also does the job just fine. For a high round count range, we would just take a spray bottle of CLP, and give it a spray or two on the bolt. It generally worked pretty well. Like Jon said, keeping them really wet tends to be more important than how dirty it is.

I have seen M-16s on the range that were having mulfunctions, a spray or two of CLP, and they were ready to keep on trucking for a few hundred more rounds.

The most important place to lube is obviously on the BCG. I'm sure you know about making sure you can flick out the bolt with a flick of your wrist.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Ehh, OK, nothing earth shattering with lube... How about a rifle bag. What do ya got?

I've been using a bagmaster for about 10 years now. I might pick something a little more sleek and compact up for this AR. I'm open, I havent shopped rifle bags or cases in a long time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    with our package deal at the dept, we get a Blackhawk soft case, water resistant, padded, 4 mag pouches, one main zipper pouch, padded shoulder strap, unzip and fold flat for shooting mat if you're in a pinch
    BLACKHAWK! Rifle Case - BLACKHAWK!
    I know we didn't pay $99 as listed on the site, I think it was $65
    I've liked it so far, after a year of in/out of patrol car, a little sloshing around in the trunk at times , range trips, etc it shows zero wear
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

EDIT - this Blackhawk cases are nice too like 64zebra posted. I have one very similar to that and I like how it has the mags on the front and it's contoured as well on the one side which makes it nice for sliding into a trunk.

Tactical Tailor makes some of the nicest single or double rifle bags. Of course Pelican for the hard case if you want extra security or you fly. I have all kinds of bags around from Eagle to UTG and the UTG SUCKS. I bought two for really cheap and they literally started falling apart after using them for nothing more than storage.

Tactical Tailor single rifle case - http://www.tacticaltailor.com/packs_...e-single-rifle

Blue Force Gear also has some nice stuff. Of course all the bags are available in different color combinations.

They offer a 28" and a 35" model.

28 - http://www.blueforcegear.com/product...t-Case-28.html

35 - http://www.blueforcegear.com/product...t-Case-35.html

Some good stuff on LaRue's webstore as well - http://www.laruetactical.com/gun-cases
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    This is the bagmaster I've been using for a long time; I'll probably stick with it unless there is just something else awesome out there that I'm missing.

"Just blame Sixto"

I like the Discreet Weapons case from Blackhawk.

BLACKHAWK! Homeland Security Discreet Weapons Carry Case - BLACKHAWK!

If I had it to do over...

BLACKHAWK! Padded Weapons Case - BLACKHAWK!
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

You'll keep this in the patrol car when at work correct? If so, where and how will it be set up?

If I remember correctly you said you are in a non uniform role now? You might also check Sneaky Bags. They make a rifle bag that looks like a gym bag. People who have the Sneaky line seem to love them.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    I'm curious as to what you learned about the Eotech that made you switch to the Aimpoint?

OpJ
    ME also

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    ME also
    Probably the same thing most of us have... Battery life is horrible. The reticle is fine but covers a lot of our target compared to Aimpoints, for example. They are not as durable as Aimpoints. No matter what changes internally, the battery compartments has always been at risk of failure and can be affected by recoil. Only now with the horizontal battery compartment of the EXPS is that problem solved. Not that we're constantly viewing through the optic, but if we need to make a precision shot at distance on a target that's not paper and heavily contrasting colors, it can be a slight issue for some. EoTech now offers a single dot reticle.

This is not to say they're junk, but when we're talking similar money, mine will always go to the one that's more robust and more reliable. Check out the Daniel Defense/Vickers M4 and Aimpoint T1 torture test.

https://danieldefense.com/Torturetest

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    If I remember correctly you said you are in a non uniform role now? You might also check Sneaky Bags. They make a rifle bag that looks like a gym bag. People who have the Sneaky line seem to love them.
    Yes and no, I flip back and forth. And it will end up in trunk of a whatever vehicle I'm in, so I do need at least some level of protection. During normal patrol duties, it will be in a vault.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Bags I can't really help you with.

But if you like the one you got, keep using it for a bit. Give your kids some extra stuff in their stockings.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links