Sixto's patrol rifle update - Page 8

Sixto's patrol rifle update

This is a discussion on Sixto's patrol rifle update within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Oh, I dunno that I'm actually looking for a new bag, I'm just trying to keep the good conversation going while I wait for the ...

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Sixto's patrol rifle update

Administrator
    Oh, I dunno that I'm actually looking for a new bag, I'm just trying to keep the good conversation going while I wait for the bits and pieces to arrive to finish.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    EoTech now offers a single dot reticle.
    Do you have any experience with this model? I believe it's the XPS2-1, the single dot version. They say it's a 1 MOA dot which is REALLY small. I look through my current "Eotech" and try to imagine the 65 MOA ring not there. I'd like a single dot holosight as I really prefer looking through the Eotech's, but concerns that the 1 MOA dot will be to small to acquire quickly. I'd love to see one first hand, but It's a pretty rare. Hard to even find it online.

I have a Primary Arms (Aimpoint knock off) red dot on my AK with a 3 MOA dot which is nice and crisp. I have no doubt the Aimpoint's are 93423489 times better built, I just don't feel that I would get my money's worth out of one, seeing as the main benefit to an Aimpoint is their durability. I rarely drop my rifle out of a helicopter. I do run it over with a Jeep from time to time though...

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Do you have any experience with this model? I believe it's the XPS2-1, the single dot version. They say it's a 1 MOA dot which is REALLY small. I look through my current "Eotech" and try to imagine the 65 MOA ring not there. I'd like a single dot holosight as I really prefer looking through the Eotech's, but concerns that the 1 MOA dot will be to small to acquire quickly. I'd love to see one first hand, but It's a pretty rare. Hard to even find it online.

I have a Primary Arms (Aimpoint knock off) red dot on my AK with a 3 MOA dot which is nice and crisp. I have no doubt the Aimpoint's are 93423489 times better built, I just don't feel that I would get my money's worth out of one, seeing as the main benefit to an Aimpoint is their durability. I rarely drop my rifle out of a helicopter. I do run it over with a Jeep from time to time though...
    I don't. I am thinking about picking up an EXPS-3 with the standard reticle though to try out. I've had Aimpoints with 2 MOA dots and they're very visible. I'd imagine without the ring you might run it a bit brighter and it would be very visible. Then again, I don't know.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    "I'd imagine without the ring you might run it a bit brighter and it would be very visible."

See if Brownell's has the model that you want then you can try it and if you don't like it for any reason you can return it for a "no questions asked" full refund.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I don't. I am thinking about picking up an EXPS-3 with the standard reticle though to try out. I've had Aimpoints with 2 MOA dots and they're very visible. I'd imagine without the ring you might run it a bit brighter and it would be very visible. Then again, I don't know.
    The EXPS is just raised for better lower 1/3 co-witness I think? I've pondered going that route, but then I'd need a new mount for my magnifier too. Since folding gas blocks cost more that what they're worth, IMO, going with the raised version for a lower 1/3 co-witness might be worth it. Spending nearly $180 for a good folding gas block is insane. I have a YHM folding gas block but it does not fit in my DD Omega X. The VLTOR that fits flush with the top rail when folded looks awesome, but WAY too pricey for me, over $200. I'd rather just keep the standard front sight and run a lower 1/3. Just got to decide what's more important, the G19 I've been wanting, or a new holosight.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes and no, I flip back and forth. And it will end up in trunk of a whatever vehicle I'm in, so I do need at least some level of protection. During normal patrol duties, it will be in a vault.
    My two original Blackhawk recommendations stick then.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Oh, I dunno that I'm actually looking for a new bag, I'm just trying to keep the good conversation going while I wait for the bits and pieces to arrive to finish.
    Well then, just to kick the can down the road a smidge, did you ever play around with that ambi mag release on the Sig you had? Did it seem like a worthwhile addition to the rifle, or just one more thing to go wrong?

I guess some people like them, but I'm not really a fan of the B.A.D. lever either, but that may just be because all my previous experience and training just taught me to use the usual bolt release method, and I am a curmudgeon.

Jon had a pretty good write up in Sticks' thread about compensators and a barrel attachments. I personally see nothing wrong with the old school birdcage style, but if you want to tacticool it out, you gotta add some ginormous gaudy compensator from a brand name manufacturer.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    ...Jon had a pretty good write up in Sticks' thread about compensators and a barrel attachments. I personally see nothing wrong with the old school birdcage style, but if you want to tacticool it out, you gotta add some ginormous gaudy compensator from a brand name manufacturer.
    I'm getting hammered on that everywhere I go.

BTW - Ginormous would be things like suppressors, add another 8-10" for a little sound reduction. Comps are just...different looking (except those that look like WWII Howitzer muzzles).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Administrator
    I'm in no hurry to make this rifles controls unfamiliar. The Sigs ambi was OK, but I don't think it's something I'd go out of my way to spend money on- if the rifle had it already, that's a good thing otherwise I say leave it alone.
    And I'm keeping the A2- I've experimented a little with fancy whizz bang attachments in the past, I see no real practical role for anything other than the A2 for a rifle like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    The rest of the little peices parts showed up today, I just got everything mounted. The only thing I need now is the PRO...
    "Just blame Sixto"

I prefer an A2 over everything out there. Any "tactical" brake will be the same size, for the most part, as an A2 like the BattleComp 1.0 or 2.0, the PWS or the Triple Tap. The Surefire brake is a little longer. The competition brakes can get big... The AAC stuff is longer as well, but some of it issued like Surefire's 215a is now.

I sold most of mine and both suppressors I had. I have a Surefire on order though. New full size suppressors only add about 4" past the muzzle device. If you buy the Surefire Mini or AAC Mini 4, we're looking at a little over 2.5" past the end of the muzzle device and are only 4.5" long (give or take, I can't remember exactly) total. The Surefire Micro is an inch shorter than that and adds only about 1.5" or so but only suitable for a 14.5" barrel or longer. All the others can be used and still warranties on a 10.5" and up. The min suppressors usually are only about 2db louder than their larger versions. Awesome stuff.

The suppressors I posted earlier in one of these threads is the AAC SPR which adds about 5" past the end of the muzzle device but is a reflex can, so it goes over the barrel a couple inches. The other is an older Halo, adding about 5" or so past the end as well.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Ok silly question that I've been meaning to ask...why 20 rd PMAGs instead of 30 rounders?
    Unrelated question...Jon, Sixto what do you guys think of the sig 556R...a coworker picked on up and I thought it was an awsome idea. 7.62X39 in a rifle that accepts AK mags but is MUCH better quality than an AK...thoughts?

JD
    Administrator
    The 20rd PMAGs or 20rd mags in general are better when shooting from prone or seated with a short bipod as the mag won't rest on the ground or interfere with positioning. I'm sure there are probably some other benefits but those are the one's that I've noticed.

Administrator
    20 rounders allow for a lot more options in shooting positions, especially prone. They are also widely regarded as more reliable. In police work, I cannot imagine a real need for the 30's, so why risk it?
    "Just blame Sixto"

cool thanks JD and Sixto.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links