Sixto's patrol rifle update

This is a discussion on Sixto's patrol rifle update within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some of you might remember me posting about building a patrol rifle for myself. It has been long drawn out process, mainly due to changes ...

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Sixto's patrol rifle update

Administrator

Sixto's patrol rifle update

Some of you might remember me posting about building a patrol rifle for myself. It has been long drawn out process, mainly due to changes in budget and changes I've made to the specs of the build. The original plan was going to be a BCM component SBR. As dumb luck has it, I came across previously owned but NIB Spikes carbine that I got for half of what the BCM would cost. The SBR would be nice, but it came down to the "cool" factor and was not cost effective. So that change was a no brainer. I took off the Palmetto Armory stock it had on it, and switched it to a Magpul CTR. It allows for a much better weld on the stock. I also went ahead and stuck a Magpul forearm on too. I like the feel of it, and it will also allow for easier light and sling mounting. The Spikes trigger assembly was nice, but I swapped it for a RRA two stage. Cheap mods that are easy to switch if I don't like 'em- so far I do though.

I also switched from a Eotech 512 back to an Aimpoint, this time, I'm giving the new PRO a go. I learned a few things last time I had to use the rifle in the real world about the Eotech causing the switch. I have not decided if I will use the stock PRO mount, or go with something different. I'll just have to wait and see if I like the PRO mount. Of course, the Aimpoint is being backed up with irons. (Troy Industries)

Sling is the VTAC... its the best I can find given the role of the rifle. There is also a VTAC light mount, holding a Surefire G3. I'm not convinced on this setup just yet, but it's what I had laying around doing nothing, so I put it in service.

So, I think thats it... for now. I guess I have to take everything out of the box and put it together now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

So, I think thats it... for now. I guess I have to take everything out of the box and put it together now.
    ...and take pitchers...
    Retiredonce likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Administrator
    I will. It will be about a week or so before I get the Aimpoint. I just ordered it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    ...and take pitchers...
    Not a baseball fan I take it? What's the bag limit on pitchers?

Eotech 512 for sale?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Eotech 512 for sale?
    It would have been, but its not mine. Its now gone back to the armory.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Can't wait to see the pics sixto

Choices driven by practicality... I love it.

The PRO looks interesting and ultimately more affordable than my T1 on a LaRue QD mount. Maybe I'll sell the EOT512 that's on carbine #1 and get a PRO!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I also switched from a Eotech 512 back to an Aimpoint, this time, I'm giving the new PRO a go. I learned a few things last time I had to use the rifle in the real world about the Eotech causing the switch. I have not decided if I will use the stock PRO mount, or go with something different. I'll just have to wait and see if I like the PRO mount. Of course, the Aimpoint is being backed up with irons. (Troy Industries)
    I'm curious as to what you learned about the Eotech that made you switch to the Aimpoint?

OpJ

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    I'm curious as to what you learned about the Eotech that made you switch to the Aimpoint?

OpJ
    Me too.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Did you get the CTR with the friction lock? If so, do you think it is a must? I have read review that say it is a waste of $40 and review that say it's needed, so an honest opinion would be nice, since I have been wanting one forever!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Co witness BUIS?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

What are your department rules pertaining to 'patrol rifle'? Can you basically build anything you want and toss it in the trunk (or rack)? Are you required to carry it on duty at all times?

Just curious......

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

By stock mount do you mean the one with the single screw to tighten it down onto the rifle?

Personally, I'd ditch that thing, and go with a Larue QD mount. (what my Aimpoint is in).

I'm curious about the PRO, wanna do a side by side test? My ML-3 vs your PRO?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Looking forward to seeing pics. ;-)

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Links