Gods help me, I may cross over to the dark [AR] side. Newby questions

This is a discussion on Gods help me, I may cross over to the dark [AR] side. Newby questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been watching this thread since post 1. Jon, good consultant as usuall, and a fine job by Sticks for ordering up a nice bucket of ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Gods help me, I may cross over to the dark [AR] side. Newby questions

Been watching this thread since post 1. Jon, good consultant as usuall, and a fine job by Sticks for ordering up a nice bucket of carbine goodness.

Will now wait for update on assembly, and range report. pics?

2. Remove Ads

Heading south to CC is part of my plan during layoff Jon. The logistics are proving to be problematic, and I am not looking forward to an 18 hour drive.

Eyeballed your for sale items. May still pick up on one or two. Need to see what I am getting feels like.

I the wife goes, we drive. If not, I'll fly, but will have to have ammo bought and shipped to you (cost is the same drive double or fly single - rather fly).

Ummm.

What's the barrel break in procedure? Shoot a few, clean, rinse and repeat or load up and perforate a target?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Update

Still no upper ordered. Hoping sometime next week.
    BUIS and sling mounts backordered
    Aimpoint PRO backorderd
    Received the wrong stock kit (which I expected). Working on a resolution.
    Purt near everything else should arrive today, with the exception being the lower since that is being sent to my FFL, and I am not privy to the tracking info - EDIT Just received the shipping notice. Probably be able to go pick it up next week.

With the wife getting involved and labeling this as my Christmas gift...I don't get to touch any of it until that day...
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

That sucks... Always something with the wives, I swear!

I'm running out of stuff to sell, but there's still a Daniel Defense fixed front sight and a Bad-ASS ambi selector. The guy that bought the other items might buy the rest if I still have it, so let me know if you need anything.

What exactly do you have ordered again? Did you get In touch with Monty after you PM'd me?

EDIT - I though this whole reply above was a PM! I don't know why I though I was reading a private message when looki at your last post....

Oh, and no barrel break-in with a CHF barrl necessary.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Arrrgghhh!!!

I'm about to abort this whole project and return everything I have acquired, and sell off at a loss what I can't return.

PSA has made a career of sending my whopping 3 items I ordered from them on Black Monday (UPS tag created and I was notified of shipment on 12/2)...Finally arrived today, and only the BCG and LPK. They created another shipping tag via USPS for my stripped lower 2 days ago, and it still has not shipped.

Still can't get my upper ordered. Site was supposed to be back up Monday and it was...partially (could not place the order for the correct options), now it's back down again.

I literally have everything but the rifle [upper and lower]. Everything was ordered Black Monday.

Older, wiser people than I, in the before time, would call this an Omen... and not a good one.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Or, some people would say patience is a virtue, and good things come to those who wait...
    atctimmy likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Arrrgghhh!!!I'm about to abort this whole project and return everything I have acquired, and sell off at a loss what I can't return.PSA has made a career of sending my whopping 3 items I ordered from them on Black Monday (UPS tag created and I was notified of shipment on 12/2)...Finally arrived today, and only the BCG and LPK. They created another shipping tag via USPS for my stripped lower 2 days ago, and it still has not shipped. Still can't get my upper ordered. Site was supposed to be back up Monday and it was...partially (could not place the order for the correct options), now it's back down again. I literally have everything but the rifle [upper and lower]. Everything was ordered Black Monday. Older, wiser people than I, in the before time, would call this an Omen... and not a good one.
    Hang in there! Besides, PSA charges some stupid restocking fee! Once you get it all and this is over, you'll be very happy. Not sure why you're having such issues, that sucks man. It'll all work out in the end. My next upper is a Centurion.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I just went thru this whole thing...been wanting an AR since my days in the AF but didn't want to pay the outragious price of 1300-1600 bucks for what I wanted...
    buddy of mine had a .338 lapua rifle custom built to his standards and it cost him half thru this new guy that just got his FFL man. lic...
    so..gave him a call..he put together to my specs an M4 carbine that is awesome...I just got it last week and haven't had a chance to get to a range yet....(work and weather you know..)....

well..the best of about everything is in this thing and he did it for 745 out the door....(you bet I jumped on it)...he's trying to get a name for himself .....contact this guy if you need parts...guardiantacticalllc.com...jeff is a good guy...

Steve

Considering I can buy new Bushmasters for the low 600 dollar range, that is how i went, and have not had a problem with it to date with well over two thousand rounds of various ammo out the end, you can customize one any way ya want, I am told, that there are really only about 3 makers of the AR, just a lot of people putting their names on them. I may be wrong there, just what i was told from a friend that owns a gun shop.....to each their own, and whatever works for you....good luck....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Calm down Sticks, slow the roll.

As Jon say's you will be GTG.

With this PSA boom I'm sure they have a mouth full, and a full plate in front of them. With folks swarming around them chanting eat, eat, eat!.....with a smile dang it!

Maybe read a few PDF's, stickies @ M4C and learn parts, specs, and things to look for when inspecting the complete project and when assembling.

also near completion grab a few dummy rounds so you can at least make sure it manually functions before use of live cartriges.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    Considering I can buy new Bushmasters for the low 600 dollar range, that is how i went, and have not had a problem with it to date with well over two thousand rounds of various ammo out the end, you can customize one any way ya want, I am told, that there are really only about 3 makers of the AR, just a lot of people putting their names on them. I may be wrong there, just what i was told from a friend that owns a gun shop.....to each their own, and whatever works for you....good luck....
    As for the 3 makers.... I understand why people think that but it's a huge and somewhat dangerous misconception. I don't fault people for thinking that but some use it as a defense against their lower quality rifles, in a way. Let's use lowers for example here. There are really only a few forgers out there that make all kinds of stuff, lower and upper receivers being one of the many things. All rifle manufacturers will buy them as a rough forging (or a complete lower milled to their specs) as no rifle manufacturer that I know of can make their own forgings.

Let's look at LMT and Rock River for this. Maybe they both buy the same forging but it's a solid block in a basic form. Now, both LMT and RRA buy their forged receivers from Forging Company "A" (this is an example, I don't know for sure that they use the same forgings, though it's about a 1 in 3 or 4 chance). Once they receive them, and this is the important part, they mill them out themselves (or buy from yet another company that mills for them and uses their name and roll mark) to military or their own specs. LMT, Colt, BCM, etc. will mill their lowers, or have them milled, to military specifications. Rock River Arms on the other hand will mill them to their own specifications. I've seen some so tight, certain lowers couldn't close on them.

So, the old misconceptions that with ARs "parts are parts" is completely wrong. Unfortunately there are a lot that believe this and also a lot that know it's not true, but don't really know exactly why it's not true then can't explain it. So, the myth goes on. Not to continue my veer off topic.....but this is similar to how barrels are done. A few different manufacturers may get their barrel blanks from the same place, but it's turning it down that truly makes the difference. This can be a night and day difference.

Sorry to go off topic, but that's one of those things tht needs cleared up when it's mentioned. Not trying to prove anyone wrong, just trying to spread some accurate info.

Well, PSA is on my "S" list. I don't care how busy you are, you respond to customer inquires, especially if you already have their money. You also do not notify the customer that you shipped a package, then sit on it for a week and a half.

The upper, I'm a little annoyed, but as far as I know, he's a 1 man operation, and just got back from deployment to his family. That one I was prepared to wait until January. I blame his web developer.

My wife's xmas gift package, I ordered from half again as many retailers the Sunday prior, and had it all in a week.

At this rate, I'll have the 1k reloads done before I have any thing to shoot them with. Ordered components for that last Saturday, and it showed up last night - $210 for 1k rounds of new brass and Hornady bullets. Just need to go pick up primers and powder.

The same thing happened to me when I ordered my customized/build your own new laptop from Dell. Ordered in mid Oct. Got an e-mail a week later saying that due to the high demand there may be a 1-2 week delay. Fine. Nov 30 I call them since I had not heard anything and they finally fessed up that there was a supply problem with one of the components, and they expected a new supplier to ship in the next week, so another week and a half before it would be ready. Dec 22nd, still nothing, I call them again, and they still had not got their poop in a group, would not substitute the missing component for something else. I told them to get bent, cancel my order and ordered a comparable/slightly better one from Sony for $200 less after negotiating the price ($400 less than their retail). Got it in the first week of Jan. The only bad thing is that the mother board went Tango Uniform in the first 3 days, had to ship it back being one of the first 100 in the model series instead of the "on site repair", and got the replacement in 2 weeks.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

You should head over to m4carbine and post about this with PSA (gently though) and also on AR15.com. That should get their attention since they're site sponsors and have PSA subforums there if I'm not mistaken. Like I said, it'll work out soon and this'll be a distant memory. Frustrating as hell at the time though. I recently had an issue with a shop I often recommend. I've spent many thousands of dollars there and was pretty upset to be treated that way. Things happen though. It's over now and I have everything I needed. The Centurion wi be worth the wait. Just make sure it's not an additional so many months due to backorders. Well worth it though and Monty is seriously a bad@$$ and an all around good guy. I'll support and buy from an AR manufacturer owned by active/former military guys before someone who's not, all else being equal. Like I said before, I can send you the contact info for that shop that sells the Centurion rails at really good prices, not sure if they have Centurion upper though. Amother option in the worst case scenario, a BCM upper will be just as reliable and durable as a Centurion. The Centurion may just be a touch more accurate (CHF vs CHF, not talking about the Stainless barrels which I'd absolutely buy from Centurion) and they use what appears to be a slightly unique profile. I always opt for standard over lightweight profiles.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; December 15th, 2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Not sure why, but it keeps putting all of my text into one paragraph

when I ordered my upper I also got that email about UPS "wow they shipped it quick!" I thought....then I was like "wait that was too fast".

CHeck UPS tracking # thingy But no info was available, so I waited a day or so over the weekend. I got to wondering emailed them, and got a response in like two hours saying that the UPS Label is generated when the order is placed.

And to expect no less than 7 BUSINESS days for order to complete and it to ship, another 3-5days.... not including weekends. Which it does say on the site "please allow for 7 business before shipping".

I ordered mine on the 28th Sept, recieved on the 14th of Oct. so that was 7 days for assembly (shipped end of day on the 7th day) and 4 days for ground...perfect.

Sticks...I think you might have miss understood about this shipping label thing, or didn't see the please allow 7 business days for product to ship.

then get all impatient when the UPS label was generated when your order was placed, but not completed.

Seems to me they're on "scedual" with your order, you just misunderstood how things work?

Seen some youtube guy posted video about this verysame thing come to find out he also misunderstood how PSA works with the 7 business days to complete order, and the shipping label generations upon order placement.

don't take me wrong I'm on your side just discussing things...cause I too kinda misunderstood thier UPS label generations, and order placements too. BUT I did get a response clearing up my concerns.

There's building an order (upper or lower), which I understand takes time, then there's just pulling parts off the shelf, which is what I was doing. Auto BCG, LPK, stripped lower. All should be a simple matter of pulling out of the warehouse and shipping it.

I also did not receive a response to my email inquiry, and forget about getting them on the phone.

None of my previous emails (order confirmation, instruction about FFL, etc.) stated anything about "allow x days for delivery". And I did not recall anything on their site about order processing time, I will look again.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links