Gods help me, I may cross over to the dark [AR] side. Newby questions - Page 8

Gods help me, I may cross over to the dark [AR] side. Newby questions

This is a discussion on Gods help me, I may cross over to the dark [AR] side. Newby questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Prior to the Mexican-American War, the Mexican army demanded a Texas town surrender a cannon that the Mexicans had given to it. The Texans made ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Gods help me, I may cross over to the dark [AR] side. Newby questions

VIP Member
    Prior to the Mexican-American War, the Mexican army demanded a Texas town surrender a cannon that the Mexicans had given to it. The Texans made a flag with a black star, the cannon, and words made famous by the Spartans.

2011-12-24 008 come and take it.jpg
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    You're not going to need the receiver block for anything. The upper will just snap right on when it comes in. The only time you'll need that is when doing armorer level work on the rifle. Can't wait to see it...and shoot it!
    Just would have been nice to have last night putting the LPK in, and then for cleaning. I'll figure something out.

OK, Jon's swinnin' in swag. I have a few, and I'll never use them. Just not my speed to advertise, or sport what I'm proud of (unless it's a shirt, I'll wear those).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I'll put a couple of them on my rifle cases or my laptop, but not on anything I carry around in public like the iPad or phones. I'll wear a hat with a flag patch on occasion or even the Bravo Co hat on a lazy day.

I have a ton more of the stuff from manufacturers or swag bags at classes, etc.

Oh, my kids end uP snagging most of the stickers. These about a half dozen BCM stickers on their bikes and scooters. Now I just need to give their bikes a coat of Krylon.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Oh, my kids end uP snagging most of the stickers. These about a half dozen BCM stickers on their bikes and scooters. Now I just need to give their bikes a coat of Krylon.
    Don't forget to post pics of those in the painted AR thread.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Whoo Hooo!!!

Got my upper today!

Here are a few pics. Still waiting on my Aimpoint. I'll post more pics when I have a better stage. Hopefully a range report tomorrow as well.

Sticks

See also Sheep

Sent you a PM on m4c. Hey! get that thing off of your bolt catch... They can occasionally cause failures and after a couple months, all of mine are gone.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Sent you a PM on m4c. Hey! get that thing off of your bolt catch... They can occasionally cause failures and after a couple months, all of mine are gone.
    You talking about the ambi release?
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    You talking about the ambi release?
    No, the bolt catch, the piece like the Magpul BAD Lever. It can cause failures at times with the bolt looking back. I used to run them.

Sticks

See also Sheep

RKM
    Yes, I believe that's what he is referring to. I've heard of it too. I use a Magpul BAD lever and I don't have problems. It seems to be hit or miss. I'm not an AR expert, but I've heard it can affect mid and rifle length systems more than carbine length, since the carbine systems recoil "harder". Not sure what yours is. Mine is a carbine and mine works just fine. I like it. I find it very effective. I must say it looks dumb. So does my Grip-pod. I won't lie I think it looks stupid and is too big, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. The bi-pod option is nice to have.

Anyway.... I'd say go out and do a bunch of shooting with it and see how your rifle handles it. It's easy to take on and off, so just go try it out. If it eventually starts giving you problems, take it off.

WTH Jon? That ambi bolt release has been on my build list since the start and now you say something???

JK :)

I'll give it a shot. If it starts randomly locking on me or I start experiencing FTFd, then I'll pluck it or find a way to fix it.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

RKM
    WTH Jon? That ambi bolt release has been on my build list since the start and now you say something???

JK :)

I'll give it a shot. If it starts randomly locking on me or I start experiencing FTFd, then I'll pluck it or find a way to fix it.
    It usually only causes a failure to lock open on the last round because of the extra weight (though it's VERY minimal) hanging on the bolt release.

Yeah, we'll if I said something BEFORE you bought it, what lesson would you have learned?? ;)It should be ok, but even if it does work it can cause some training scars. I think they fit the competition rifles much better than fighting rifles. It saves very little time when releasing the bolt. The only benefit I saw was being able to lock the bolt open without taking your hand off of the grip, mainly when working malfunctions, but in reality when will that truly make a difference? I just wouldn't risk it. I tried for a little while and though I never had any real issues, the risk was not worth the slight benefit.

Yeah, we'll if I said something BEFORE you bought it, what lesson would you have learned?? ;)It should be ok, but even if it does work it can cause some training scars. I think they fit the competition rifles much better than fighting rifles. It saves very little time when releasing the bolt. The only benefit I saw was being able to lock the bolt open without taking your hand off of the grip, mainly when working malfunctions, but in reality when will that truly make a difference? I just wouldn't risk it. I tried for a little while and though I never had any real issues, the risk was not worth the slight benefit.
    I am one of those guys who likes to learn from other peoples experiences and boo boos. Save's me money, aggravation, and the occasional moderate blood loss.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Never really been a fan of the AR platform, and it got worse when it was more of a status symbol like Glocks and Harleys -

However, with the rumors leading to a glut in the market in 5.56/.223 ammo (FBI contract overruns and the military standing down) putting the prices about the same for com-bloc rifles, I am now thinking of picking one up. Be nice to have a rifle that I can afford to feed it brass instead of steel, shellacked, and corrosive ammo.

I know nothing about these other than the basics (it's a gas powered semi auto that you can customize the crap out of). I do know that I will need something with a long or adjustable length of pull, I have long arms (my PSL is kind of crappy that way). I don't do iron sights so well so some sort of optic will be installed, ergo a flat top (fold down sights).

1. Which brand(s) should I stay away from from a quality/reliability & option standpoint?

2. What barrel length would be best for 300y and under (beyond 300y I go to my PSL)?

3. Rifling - I've seen 1 in 7, and 1 in 9. What's the difference in performance?

4. I've seen different kinds of gas block options, including a "Switchblock" [Noveske Rifleworks LLC]. Huh?

5. Going to want a muzzle brake instead of the curtsey flash hider. Aftermarket I presume?

Moreover, should I pick a good bottom end base model and just buy a variety of aftermarket replacement parts and build one? Mix and match the upper and lowers? That is going to bring up a whole pile of questions.

Who's got the patience to hold my hand through this learning curve? Doing things right the first time saves money.
    welcome to the dark side(black rifle)
    I would suggest something that would get you familiarized with the ar platform, This is by far not the best option out there but it will help you learn the inners and the outters of the ar.
    I suggest getting a shotgun news and looking for a stripped ar15 lower, there are forged stamped, all different types of materials but just get one, doesnt really matter.
    2nd go on line and look for an ar15 kit, just google ar15 kit and several different sites will appear,
    from there you will see multiple options, barrel lengths, contour barrels(military style with bayonet lug) le smooth barrells, hand guard types, but stock types etc. pretty self explanatory.
    Pick the first one (style) that you will be using it for, cqb, hunting, etc
    You will need an ffl transfer for the stripped lower the kit comes in the mail,

now, heres the fun part, putting it all togehter(which isnt that difficult) will help you learning all the parts.

just get a good quality punch kit and a torque wrench and your set.

after your tired of that one buy a hi dollar rig.

welcome to the dark side!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links