Gods help me, I may cross over to the dark [AR] side. Newby questions - Page 9

Gods help me, I may cross over to the dark [AR] side. Newby questions

This is a discussion on Gods help me, I may cross over to the dark [AR] side. Newby questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK RANGE REPORT: I'll spare you the saga of my even getting into the range. Suffice to say my it started with my "20 minuet ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Gods help me, I may cross over to the dark [AR] side. Newby questions

OK

RANGE REPORT:

I'll spare you the saga of my even getting into the range. Suffice to say my it started with my "20 minuet wait" that turned into 1:45. Not a happy camper.

Range was indoor, not dim, but not bright either, and a balmy 38* - I'll give them this, it was well ventilated.

Shooting off a bench and stool, mid range Bipod that is normally on my PSL mounted at the far end of my rail.

I started off with 1 round in the mag and target at 25y. BANG, and the bolt locked open and an itty bitty hole in the target 1" high, 1" right (I'm used to a 7.62 & .40 holes).

Next we did 3 rounds. Bolt locked open again, 3 more holes within an inch of the first. Cool, that qualifies as a group. I reel the target in and make and adjustment to the windage. Push it back out to 25 and fire off 5 more. Now I remember why I hate Irons. The group is now 3" high, and 2" right. Fine, still just trying to get the windage first. I make another adjustment, and fire off 5 more. Crap. 3" high and about 3" right. I've been moving my windage the wrong direction (bonehead). I take out everything I put on it, and then add the first 3 clicks I was supposed to. Still 3" high and only slightly right. At least my elevation is staying somewhat consistant. I add another click to the windage and put 4 on the front...the right direction...I double checked. 5 more and still slightly to the right, but in the hole. Cool.

I run it out to 50 and get this.

Not terrible, still getting used to the rifle (that will take another 500 rounds at least) and I still hate irons.

New target, then out to 100.

Ignore the nice tight group in the red, I'll explain that one later.

Not great. New target and try again, concentrating on proper shooting.

Good enough Right about where it's supposed to be, I hate irons (did I mention that?), I'm cold and running out of time, let's grab the scope and get it dialed in.

Starting at 25y I get 3 good hits, make my adjustment, then bang, right where I want it, until I realize after I left that I should have dialed it to hit about 1.3" low at 25y. Oops.

Tighten everything down, grab the first 100y BUIS target (shown above) and get the nice group I wish I could get with irons.

Shoot another target out to 100, and get about a 2" MOA. Pressed for time, I just kept shooting the same target, so I did not save it.

Overall I am happy. The gun went bang with 55gr factory reloads, everything worked like it was supposed to. I need a lot more trigger time to get used to it. I hope to get down to at least 1 MOA with the scope when I can get prone and outside.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Very cool man, you should be able to pull 1 MOA out of that barrel with 75gr TAP or maybe VMAX and a magnified optic. Glad you got some time on it and all went well. Did you get my reply on m4c?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

PM, yes. Any other thread...maybe. I have not updated the build thread over there yet. Still waiting to get better pics.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Sponsored Links