SKS Why?

SKS Why?

This is a discussion on SKS Why? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I inherited 2 SKS rifles this weekend. Both are Russian made. Went to the range to try them and couldn't belive what a POS these ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: SKS Why?

SKS Why?

I inherited 2 SKS rifles this weekend. Both are Russian made. Went to the range to try them and couldn't belive what a POS these guns are. No matter what ammo used bothe FTF at least 1 with every mag. Mags are difficult to put in, not very user friendly in any fashion. I would really hate to go to battle with this gun. I have a MAK 90 that is bullet proof. Fires every time, easy to operate, and accurate. I guess the Russians have it over the ChiComs in the rifle department. Anyone actually like these guns?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Senior Moderator
    Russians are the best.
    Chunk the mags and put the original system back in it and it will be fine.
    jackson85746 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If they need a new home let me know!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I would get rid( even run over them with my truck) the after market mags,pot the original 10 round mag back in. Did you happen to C L P those guns before firing them?

I've never had any trouble with mine feeding. Course, mine have never been "monkeyed" with either. If the original box mag is not there, that would make me wonder. They load great with clips or just dumping ammo in the bottom of the mag upside down.

Mine are both pretty accurate too with good corrosive ammo. The non-corrosive and stuff like Wolf, accuracy not so good.

Just curious, did you shoot AMERICAN ammo through it? American has incorrect bullet diameter for foreign guns. It is made for stuff like the Ruger Mini 30. Uses .308 bullets, which would just "rattle" down the barrel of a foreign gun.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I'll add to what has been said. The SKS is a fine rifle as it comes with the 10 round mag. It is not an AK. Put the original mags back in place and you will have a very dependable rifle. The duckbill mags are a pain and unreliable for the most part. The bolt will have to be pulled back in order to insert the aftermarket mags unless you remove some metal from the bottom of the bolt.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Administrator
    Here is the scoop on the SKS- It is a perfectly serviceable defensive rifle. The problem is the cost... yeah, the cost. They are cheap. A lot of times people buy them because the cannot buy an AR, or they can buy two or three for the cost of a basic AR or marginal AK. Then, they put crappy aftermarket parts on it trying to make it something that it is not- and that is why there is a lot of crappy SKS's out there.
    You do have two Russian SKS's. LIke Hotguns said, those are the best. Return them to original condition, and you will have two decent SHTF rifles. Tuck them away, they don't go bad.
    buckeye .45 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'll take those SKSs off your hands if you want for more than what you paid!

I can feed mine the scuzziest ammo out there and it never fails to go bang.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

GM
    I like SKSs, and I think the Russian made are the best ones. Yugos are good too. I agree with what other members have said, keep them in original condition and you will not have any problems with them.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Here is the scoop on the SKS- It is a perfectly serviceable defensive rifle. The problem is the cost... yeah, the cost. They are cheap. A lot of times people buy them because the cannot buy an AR, or they can buy two or three for the cost of a basic AR or marginal AK. Then, they put crappy aftermarket parts on it trying to make it something that it is not- and that is why there is a lot of crappy SKS's out there.
    You do have two Russian SKS's. LIke Hotguns said, those are the best. Return them to original condition, and you will have two decent SHTF rifles. Tuck them away, they don't go bad.
    You sir, hit the nail right on the head. To some degree, many AK's have also fallen to a similar fate. The selling point was their simplicity. When someone goes and "doo-hickeys" them, they lose their charm.

I think you guys nailed it. The origninal box mag is gone on both. Have about 10 of the duckbill mags. There are 30 stripper clips. Never got to say "clip" on this board. lol All ammo was Norinco or PMC. WIll try to find some original box mags and go again. Hey another day at the range is never bad! Thanks for the help.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

As a bonus, once you go back to the fixed mags, you never need to worry about whether or not a mag will work in your gun. I like tube mags for the same reason. KISS.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Here's a link you might find valuable that pirate posted on another thread that pretty much tells everything about an SKS from front to back regarding history, model variances, legal aspects of ownership, and legal conversions...

“Survivors” SKS FAQ

As mentioned by others, you'll not have any problem finding a buyer for any of the Russian models at all; and while many claim an SKS is a Russian model to get a higher price, the information in the above link will let you positively identify whether it's a true Russian model or not.

Even though they are becoming a collector's item, I bought my 1954 Tula model a number of years ago to shoot and not to collect; however, be sure to study the "10 items or less" criteria (well defined in the above link) if you do any modifications at all to the rifle to ensure it remains legal. First thing to check on any SKS is the firing pin since most of the Russian models had a "floating" pin that can jam in the forward position from dirt or fouling and cause a "slam fire" (and full-auto operation until magazine empties) when the bolt snapped shut. If it has a "floater" be sure to replace it with a good spring-return pin that's available from many aftermarket sources.

As also mentioned by everyone else, replacing the original 10-round box magazine will give you a very dependable rifle that will reliably load and shoot any brand or type of ammo you feed it even when filthy dirty - unlike the M-16/AR platform I carried way too long and often cursed (and threw down jammed) during numerous meat-grinder combat operations many years ago. Other than being gas-operated and using the same ammunition, an SKS has no mechanical or operational similarity to an AK-47; but it's built with the same intentional degree of "moderately loose tolerances" to keep it operating and firing under dirty/contaminated conditions that have long silenced the AR platform.

Eaglebeak touched on this, but I'd say most of the SKS's that someone put a detachable magazine on, were not Sec. 922 compliant. Not that the ATF is going around looking for such things, but not a good idea to have such things on hand in my opinion. If they wanted to make it rough on someone they could.

(to sumarize, you cannot just replace parts on an SKS with aftermarket stuff, without replacing ENOUGH of the total parts to turn it into a domestic gun. Simply replacing the magazine, or even the stock, is technically illegal. Though, I doubt anyone has ever been prosecuted ----yet)

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Sounds like you are using detachable magazines so its the magazines not the rifles. The SKS is a very reliable rifle system with the OEM (attached mag). All the aftermarket metal SKS mags are worthless. The polymer Tapco detachable mags are reliable, but if you have metal detachable mags just toss them and re-install the original mags. I have been shooting SKS rifles including Russian, Chinese, and Yugo versions for 25 years and they have always been very reliable weapons. No offense ment but you just got the rifles and don't know anything abount them and someone has obviously been playing "bubba" with them and removed the factory magazines so you need to read up and learn something about these rifles and you may change your mind. If not and you want to sell them I will buy them if the price is right!
    Last edited by pirate; November 15th, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links