Best AK?

This is a discussion on Best AK? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I could have bought SKS's back in '04 for $69 a copy in SC, an AK maybe $300-400. Who'd of thought....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best AK?

I could have bought SKS's back in '04 for $69 a copy in SC, an AK maybe $300-400. Who'd of thought.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I could have bought SKS's back in '04 for $69 a copy in SC, an AK maybe $300-400. Who'd of thought.
    I remember those days. Got one of those surplus Russian SKS with bayonet long before '04...shot it for a couple of years then stumbled into my trade at a local pawn shop for the AK. Like I say....those days are gone. Those who want lie restless, those who have keep them and are subtle with advice. Things will never be the same. Grab life while you can.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Back in the late eighties when I had my FFL and gun business I bought an entire crate of Chinese SKS rifles for $54 each, sold most of them and even gave away a couple to friends. Still have one of that lot. I kid you not, they all had been literally dipped in cosmoline.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Do Saiga converted AK's accept standard AK mags? I got lucky and bought a Century WASR that actually runs great. Only thing wrong is that it wont consistantly feed hollow points.

VIP Member
    Yes the do take standard mags, most models, and the HP thing is not the fault of the rifle it simply was not made to feed them.

The main problem with WASR's is they sometimes have canted front sights nothing that is not fixable.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

There's a great thread on the Saiga forum about WASRs. Well, great from the WASR owners' point of view, lol.

I sure do like the 7.62X39 cartridge and wouldn't mind having an AK 47 to supplement my SKS. I'm not at all keen on the dinky AK 74 round but then I'm not all that keen on the .223.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Seems to me the best value anyway is the Romanian WASR. I know some people don't like them but when you get a good one they're solid. No problems so far with mine. Of course if you're looking for any level of refinement look elsewhere, but for around $400 I say you can't go wrong as long as it isn't a canted one.

Can an AK have any refinement?

Seems like an oxymoron
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Moderator
    The main problem with WASR's is they sometimes have canted front sights nothing that is not fixable.
    Actually, they are fixable, I've done several. You just have to have a milling machine to do it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Actually, they are fixable, I've done several. You just have to have a milling machine to do it.
    He said, "nothing that's not fixable", a double negative...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    I honestly love the MAK90 for the quality versus money standpoint. You get a thicker receiver, barrel and a great trigger to boot. I like it more then my Arsenal.

Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Do Saiga converted AK's accept standard AK mags?
    You have to install a bullet quide for the Saiga 7.62x39's to accept standard AK mags

dinzagarms
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I gotta add that the AK rifles and the 7.62X39 cartridge are capable of surprising accuracy at distance.

My brother-in-law has a little AK folder from Century Arms, the one with the sheet metal receiver, that isn't generally considered to be primo among savvy AK enthusiasts. Back in the spring we wrung it out against rocks down to the size of smallish watermelons at a range-finder-measured distance of 325-350 yards. I'm not certain that his range finder gives the same reading every time. Anyway, it's a "fur piece" for such a set-up of rifle/cartridge. I've enjoyed high-power competition for many years having tapered off in the past few years due to a move away from a close match. I can do a fairly competent job at such distances with my favorite .30 caliber rifles.

His AK 47 with the folding stock proved to be fully equal to my favorite M1 and M1A, which were also brought out on this particular trip, on impromptu rock targets at the 300+ yard distance. I'm not well-versed on AK 47 variants but if the rifle and the ammo is good they are rough customers indeed at such distances. I've not obtained nearly that accuracy performance from my own Russki SKS when used at those same distances and with the same ammo.

Link: High-Power Rifle Fun On the Border, Yet Again
    geneticgamer likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Yes the do take standard mags, most models, and the HP thing is not the fault of the rifle it simply was not made to feed them.The main problem with WASR's is they sometimes have canted front sights nothing that is not fixable.
    Any way to modify so that it will feed HP's?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links