Savage Model 720 "Humpback" manufactured date?

This is a discussion on Savage Model 720 "Humpback" manufactured date? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, Several years ago my now departed father gave me one of his old shotguns. I happened to be cleaning some of my firearms, ...

Thread: Savage Model 720 "Humpback" manufactured date?

Question Savage Model 720 "Humpback" manufactured date?

Hello all,

Several years ago my now departed father gave me one of his old shotguns. I happened to be cleaning some of my firearms, and started looking more closely at the Savage Model 720 "Humpback" that he gave me. As I remember, the gun works very well, and is in pretty good shape. There is hunting scene engraving with hunting dogs and waterfowl on both sides. The bluing is in pretty good condition, a dark blue to gray in color. The wood stock and forend have a few "character" dings, but no cracks, still structurally sound. I would like to find out the approximate manufactured date. The only numbers that I have found were on the underside of the smooth, unchoked barrel, 500XXX. Along the side of the barrel it says "PROOF testED ----- 12 GUAGE" and "-----2 3/4 INCH CHAMBER------." Anybody have any ideas when this old baby was made?

TIA,

boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

I did a little snooping around on the internet to see if I could uncover when my brother-in-law's Savage Model 720 was built. There's nothing that I could find to pin down an annual production figure on the shotgun. His is apparently a post-WWII example.

Yours was probably made sometime just prior to World War II if the word-of-mouth information was correct. The shotgun was produced between 1930 and 1948.

It's a fine and admirable John Browning design and with reasonable maintenance would still serve for a lifetime of hunting use.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thumbs up

Thanks for the great info. Now I have a little more to go on. What got me started looking for the manufactured date was that it had languished in my safe for a number of years. I had taken it apart to clean it, and noticed the numbers on the underside of the barrel. It reminds me of my Dad, and the many good times we had together. You are right, it is certainly a timeless JMB design, and still works well, as designed.

Be safe,
    boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links