MP5 Style Weapon for Home Defense? - Page 4

MP5 Style Weapon for Home Defense?

This is a discussion on MP5 Style Weapon for Home Defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As far as ammo for the 9mm carbine, this is where the 147grain bullets shine. Older bullet designs(late 1980's to early 1990s Hydra-shok) had questionable ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: MP5 Style Weapon for Home Defense?

As far as ammo for the 9mm carbine, this is where the 147grain bullets shine. Older bullet designs(late 1980's to early 1990s Hydra-shok) had questionable reliability as far as expansion out of pistol length barrels. The increased velocity from the longer barrel length let them perform up to their full potential.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Check out the HK USC. It is based off the UMP and is chambered in .45.

RKM
    Check out the HK USC. It is based off the UMP and is chambered in .45.
    While I think the idea of a pistol caliber carbine is kind of silly (I can see the benefits to certain ones, but... ehh), The Hk USC (UMP) in .45 would be the one I'd go after if I wanted a pistol caliber carbine. Or one of the rare MP5's in 10mm

Senior Moderator
    I've always thought that the 10MM MP5 was the biggest stick out there for a subgun.

I'd love to have one.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    I think a shotgun would be a better choice. It might be louder but I believe in home defense you would want stopping power. Especially in your home.
    It also lets the neighbors know somethings happening.

Another + to the HK USC or any sub-gun for that matter is it's lack of recoil. A small statured person can take cover and place multiple well-aimed shots rather easily. My USC is set up with a lasermax uni-max on the front rail. My only complaint is the 10 round magazines, but with .45 cal coming out of the end of the barrel 10 rounds and quick reloads should do the trick.

Wouldn't a carbine such as a Beretta Storm fill the bill? I embarked upon a search for a low recoil, less noise, pistol caliber carbine for HD after firing an MP5 in a training session. In order for it to be worthwhile it had to meet the following requirements:

* Recoil less than a shotgun
    * Noise less than a AR
    * Price less than 1K
    * 9mm, .40SW or .45 ACP
    * Capacity greater than 20
    * Action/charging handle able to be worked by my wife ( this in effect means usability by a relative novice in firearms)

Though I really haven't grown to really like it, the one that fits the bill best for me is a SUB 2000 in 9mm (Glock mags)... It is now the house gun alternative to the shotgun. My wife still has a Glock 17 in her nightstand and a 20 ga 870 available in the closet.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links