MP5 Style Weapon for Home Defense?

This is a discussion on MP5 Style Weapon for Home Defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wouldn't a civilian version of an MP5 be ideal for home defense? 25 rounds, sort stock, longer barrel than a handgun, lower impact on hearing ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: MP5 Style Weapon for Home Defense?

Wouldn't a civilian version of an MP5 be ideal for home defense? 25 rounds, sort stock, longer barrel than a handgun, lower impact on hearing loss than .223, can still mount a light, etc. What's available in that style of weapon that is reasonable in price, reliable, and has similar attributes?

RKM
    I'd rather just have a G19 or G17 with a 33 round mag and TLR-1. The added velocity from the longer barrel I don't think is going to make it worth the extra money. Don't get me wrong, MP5's are great. I'm not sure who makes a semi-auto MP5 clone in 9mm. I only know of the .22LR clones. A true MP5 will run you $38497593845739845734, give or take a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Wouldn't a civilian version of an MP5 be ideal for home defense? 25 rounds, sort stock, longer barrel than a handgun, lower impact on hearing loss than .223, can still mount a light, etc. What's available in that style of weapon that is reasonable in price, reliable, and has similar attributes?
    Umm, just put a suppressor on your AR. Problem solved.
    Guest1 and gorilla45 like this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I'd rather just have a G19 or G17 with a 33 round mag and TLR-1. The added velocity from the longer barrel I don't think is going to make it worth the extra money. Don't get me wrong, MP5's are great. I'm not sure who makes a semi-auto MP5 clone in 9mm. I only know of the .22LR clones. A true MP5 will run you $38497593845739845734, give or take a few bucks.
    I hear you, but LEO and military use MP5s for CQC, and entry for a reason. Granted, they have access to the different trigger groups with burst or full auto. I still think a short carbine like the MP would be at least slightly better than a handgun. Better two hand hold and with a longer barrel better point shooting characteristics, less recoil, better sight radius (likely not that important in home defense).

Oh.....by the way....I think you left off a couple digits in the price for an MP5! And I agree with you the cost of such a weapon might not be worth it....but wouldn't b nice to get that style of weapon for under a grand?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Umm, just put a suppressor on your AR. Problem solved.
    Actually, you're right! Takes some time for the stamp, and adds about a grand or so to the cost of an AR (stamp + suppressor) correct?

I hear you, but LEO and military use MP5s for CQC, and entry for a reason.
    Since when?

The M4/AR-15 and its SBR variants are still the most popular carbine/battle rifles among SF, SWAT, LE, Military, etc.

I personally know the point man on one of the Phoenix SWAT teams, and he uses a 12.5" M4 as does the rest of his team.

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Actually, you're right! Takes some time for the stamp, and adds about a grand or so to the cost of an AR (stamp + suppressor) correct?
    True.

Considering the cost of the MP5, however...

In all honesty, however, the difference ballistically between the MP5 and a Glock 17/19 are negligible, and you'd probably be forced to use FMJ since hollow points designed for handguns will probably fail due to the extreme velocity change.

For example, look at the difference between a .357 SIG Gold Dot and 9mm Gold Dot. They are nothing alike, and we're only talking about a difference of 130 fps between the 124 gr. +P and the 125 gr. SIG.

The difference between a 9mm fired from a 4.5" handgun and a 9mm fired from a 16" barrel is quite extreme, and is likely to cause serious concern of overpenetration as handgun bullets penetrate far more through barriers than your typical 5.56/.223 load. Most 5.56/.223 loads do miserably through barriers as they tend to fragment.

Anyways...

Shotgun anyone?
    Guest1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Since when?

The M4/AR-15 and its SBR variants are still the most popular carbine/battle rifles among SF, SWAT, LE, Military, etc.

I personally know the point man on one of the Phoenix SWAT teams, and he uses a 12.5" M4 as does the rest of his team.
    I won't argue with your experience, however, the MP series is still widely used. I know an FBI agent and some other LEOs that use them.

AZ Hawk. Thanks for the ballistics info. I wasn't aware of the issues of the longer barrel with 9mm rounds. Are you saying that agencies using the MP 5 are limited to FMJ only? I understand the potential for over penetration vs. the 223 round, and it would be even worse with FMJ.

How about a semi-auto version of the UZI? Seems about the right size.

AZ. The civilian version would be 16" barrel, non-civilian is 8.85" to 4.52" in the different versions. That's where you are coming from?

AZ Hawk. Thanks for the ballistics info. I wasn't aware of the issues of the longer barrel with 9mm rounds. Are you saying that agencies using the MP 5 are limited to FMJ only? I understand the potential for over penetration vs. the 223 round, and it would be even worse with FMJ.
    I'm referring to civilians using a 16" barrel MP5. I know that some manufacturers make specific 9mm ammo designed for submachine guns, but I'm not all that familiar with any of it.

I won't argue with your experience, however, the MP series is still widely used. I know an FBI agent and some other LEOs that use them.
    Most of the feds around here with MP5's carry the UMP40 the 40 S&W version,as far as the Sheriffs around here they carry either the MP5 or M4's,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I can see a very valid HD use for a suppressed 9mm SBR, on an AR based platform, but unless you're looking to sink serious money into it, or trust your life to a clone then to go true MP5 is a cost prohibitive, and even then from what I've read of the clones, to find reliability at the level a defensive weapon requires, sounds like it would be really expensive to upgrade the internals. I could also see the same being true of an SBR in several other calibers, from .357 to .556, but I think a lot of that decision comes down to the quarters your in and the threats you'd expect.

Glock Certified Armorer

I think a shotgun would be a better choice. It might be louder but I believe in home defense you would want stopping power. Especially in your home.
    RTTR84 and Copperjacket like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links