I've got a few rifles but this is my favorite

This is a discussion on I've got a few rifles but this is my favorite within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Barrett M99A1 And what I shoot it from...

Thread: I've got a few rifles but this is my favorite

Barrett M99A1

And what I shoot it from

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Give us some info! How did you acquire the rifle and what to you love about it? Is that your property or a local range?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Very nice. How's the accuracy? I have the 98b and 82 and the 82 opens up a bit compared to the bolt guns I've shot. I'm actually thinking of dumping a number of my rifles then maybe picking up an AI if I keep any large calibers.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Moderator
    I had an 82A1 that wouldn't hold a candle to either one of the bolt actions I built from scratch.

Every 99 that I have shot blows away th 82 in the accuracy dept. For tearing stuff up, the 82 is great. For accuracy, I'd take the 99 any day of the week.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've always loved the 50 cal rifle but never had a place to shoot it. I told my brother that if he ever found a place to shoot one, I'd buy one. Anyway, one day I was talking with my father and asked him about the old farm land we used to own. I asked him why we sold it and he said we never did get around to it. So basically, I found out that the 60 acres of farm land that I used to hunt on as a kid with my Dad was just sitting around doing nothing. That's when, last year, I decided to go check it out. I ended up building the shooting platform on it and now that's where I go to shoot. All summer Ive had a 100, 200, 300 yard target set up but in the last month, I pushed it out to about 600 yards. heres the view:
    view.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Very nice. How's the accuracy? I have the 98b and 82 and the 82 opens up a bit compared to the bolt guns I've shot. I'm actually thinking of dumping a number of my rifles then maybe picking up an AI if I keep any large calibers.
    With AMAX 750 grain I'm shooting 1" groups at 100 yards. It's accurate and the NightForce scope makes it all the better:
    Range.JPG

Senior Moderator
    Thats great. I do hope you have a solid backstop.

Trees aint enough for a .50. It can still go a long way.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

There's about 3/4 mile of dense woods with nothing but land beyond. Plus, the platform is about 9-10 feet above the land so the angle helps too.

You are right though, trees are no match :)
    t.jpg

That tree collapsed after a couple visits to the farm. I thought I had a picture but I can't seem to find the one with it collapsed

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, I've busted a few trees in half myself.
    I like to have a solid backstop so I know for sure that my bullets are landing in the next county.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Sponsored Links