Enhancing AK-47 iron sights question - Page 2

Enhancing AK-47 iron sights question

This is a discussion on Enhancing AK-47 iron sights question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The safety lever does leave a lot to be desired, but right now I am blaming that on how hard it is to operate. I've ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Enhancing AK-47 iron sights question

The safety lever does leave a lot to be desired, but right now I am blaming that on how hard it is to operate. I've seen some safety levers with larger tabs on them, but I'm pretty sure they would not work in conjunction with the underfolder, even though it is notched out a little on that side. That's in the rare case I may need to get the safety off before unfolding the stock.

That's a nice safety lever. They've thought of everything. Pretty pricey for this AK, though.

I like the idea of the peep hole. Seems like it gets an AR sight picture on an AK

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I like the idea of the peep hole. Seems like it gets an AR sight picture on an AK
    That's the first change I made to my 10/22. In that case though the peep sight was higher than the factory dovetail, so I had to replace the front sight, also. It's nice a few folks are letting you swap out the factory AK rear sight without automatically making you purchase a different front sight to accomodate it.

And as an aside. I happened to glance up at the corner of my screen just now and saw a sponsor's add for just the product I was inquiring about. I thought something might be made for this purpose. I'm surprised no one had heard of it, or maybe it just isn't recommended. Here's the link if anyone is curious.
    Glow-On

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    I highly recommend the Krebs rear peep (I have them on all of my AKs now) and if you want low light capability, the XS tritium sights are top notch. Also, I strongly recommend you pick up a Krebs enhanced safety lever too, it totally changes the ergonomics of the AK for the better.

+1 I have a Krebs on an AK and it really makes a difference.

I've got another question.

Like I said, I went ahead and ordered the rear Krebs sight linked above. It's been shipped already.
    I was just looking through Krebs' website and see where they make TWO rear sights, an 800 meter sight (like linked above) and a 1000 meter sight. And as Murphy's Law would have it my AK's stock sight is the 1000 meter style... And Midway does sell both sights, but I did not see that when placing my order. They are out of the 1000 meter sight.

So can these be interchanged? From Krebs' site they look like different lengths, so I'm guessing my elevation will be off because even at the lowest P setting of the 800 m sight, it still won't sit as low as the 1000 m sight. Right?

I decided to go with a Cobra Red Dot, It works great and will hold zero when taken off and on. U will have to install a side mount on your AK, easy to do.

"Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Update: Just in case someone searching AK iron sights runs across this thread.
    Needing an answer, I emailed Krebs this morning. And BTW, I also got the peep sight in the mail just now. Krebs got back to me suggesting I re-order the 1000m sight, that the increments will be off, but holding the 800m sight up against the stock iron, it is the exact same length. So what do I care if the increments are off... I intend to set it and forget it like the sights on my AR anyway. If I'm trying to dial in iron sights on an AK-47 to hit a target at 1000 meters, something is seriously wrong anyway.

Can't wait to try it out later today.

VIP Member
    Well you seem to have fixed your problems somewhat.

The main complaints with AK's are the sights are hard to see, the safety lever is hard to operate and you have to rock the mags in. Yes AK rear sight notches are to narrow it is a simple task to widen them.
    I do this with every AK I carry simply use a file to widen the notch but not deepen it. The file on my Gerber is perfect for this. The next thing I do is round the corners of the rear sight blade. This allows the eye to focus and draws your vision to the notch and not the square corners of the sights. Rifle Dynamics does this to the guns they build for me and it makes a world of difference.

AK safety levers are another easy fix. Remove the top cover and insert a padded screwdriver behind the safety lever and simply push the lever out or rotate the safety up and slowly apply pressure outword. This decreases the contact surface making it easier to operate. Just make sure that the safety fully engages when done.

Last but not least the mag issue. Suck it up guys. Some of the best battle rifles in the world use this system, AK, FN, M-14, SIG 550's, because it is strong and reliable and will keep working when other things fail. Simply practice doing it and it becomes a natural act.

I carry an AK daily and own several. The main thing to remember is it is not an AR/M4 dont equip it as such nor run it as such run it like it was intended and it will not let you down.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Thanks for the feedback, tacman. Good info.

I'm loving the new sight. I wish my case of ammo had come in, as I only had forty rounds to play with, but I'm pretty happy with it. And I love the way the front sight guards and rear sight picture help you zero in horizontally.
    I gotta say I hated dropping 69 bucks into a cheap AK, but when your eyes are in their fifties... and I did not want to go the optic route.

I plan on getting the Mojo sight for my WASR. I have one on my MN 91/30 and really like it. I plan on going with the MOJO over the Krebs because the MOJO is windage adjustable. I prefer to have my front sight post centered.

Check out the Tech-Sights replacement sight that moves it back to the back of the rifle. Great solution and holds zero very well. I have one on my SAR1.

Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Check out the Tech-Sights replacement sight that moves it back to the back of the rifle. Great solution and holds zero very well. I have one on my SAR1.

Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories
    Now we're talking. Putting the rear sight closer to your eye would make things so much easier. I'm pretty happy with my Krebs sight though. And it doesn't change the look that much.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

How I widened my rear site double width

Using 2 ‘heavy duty’ #420 cutting wheels mounted together on my Black & Decker 'dremel' tool I cut down into the existing rear sight notch. One disc fit in the existing notch with just the lightest scrapping, by using 2 discs I widened the notch to double it's previous width.

I also painted the front sight post a dayglo orange.
    Helps these tired eyes a lot.

the key for me was cost - nil

Before

After
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links