Enhancing AK-47 iron sights question

This is a discussion on Enhancing AK-47 iron sights question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'd like to run this by you and get some input. I bought an AK-47. I only want to put money into ammo and clips ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Enhancing AK-47 iron sights question

I'd like to run this by you and get some input.

I bought an AK-47. I only want to put money into ammo and clips (OK, and a sling and cleaning rod, too). I ordered up that stuff last night. I would like to keep the stock iron sights, but want to know if it's possible to enhance them somehow for quicker acquisition, especially in low lighting. Being an underfolder, the sights don't come up naturally aligned as it is. Here's what I'm thinking of trying.
    I was thinking of painting a white line across the back of the rear sight, the same thickness as the depth of the notch. And then I was going to paint a white spot on the rear of the front sight so that when I have my sight picture the whites are perfectly aligned. There will still be a little "air" on either side of the front sight, like there is now, to help me center it. I'm thinking this will also help to quickly differentiate between the front sight and the half circle front sight guard, which I've found my eyes gravitating to.
    Do you think this would work? And is there a special paint or white marker I should use?

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Whats an AK clip? Does it help me clip it to my belt?

On the note of which you started your thread, some have found it helpful to file the notch in the rear sight to widen it. Be very careful because if it is done improperly it can ruin your rear sight and make target acquisition impossible to pick up with any degree of accuracy.
    SIGguy229 and nerdyvirgin like this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

No, it's to clip it to the visor in my truck... sheesh.... lol
    I had clips on the brain because I had just read about some ammo with stripper clips. MAGAZINES! sorry ;^)

I'd prefer not to widen it, but I can see how that might help. I thought the white paint might add more contrast though, help reflect the light or something.

Looks like I may be the guinea pig on this one, huh?
    I called up a company that makes markers and they are sending me some free samples. That was pretty nice of them. Some fine line white paint markers. I'm going to do a trial run with some white out just to see if it might work like I'm expecting. Worth a shot.

I am trying to find a company that makes rear sights that are wider. Don't feel like trying to file it myself.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Here is another option for the rear AK sight. I have this rear aperture (peep) sight mounted on one of my Saiga's and it is excellent IMO. Super easy to install and get sighted in and give a much better sight picture and faster target acquisition.

AK47 and SKS at Mojo Sighting Systems

CaptSmith likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

GM
    1 old 0311 likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

RKM
    A Krebs rear peep sight is a MUST on AK's. One of the first things I did with mine.

Being an underfolder, you probably won't be able to get a great cheek weld. Just have to work with it.

Administrator
    OK no more clip quips. The guy knows they are magazines.

A few "clip comments" are fine but, after they start really piling up it gets to be excessive.

So, QK, are you going to clip some wings if it keeps up?
    atctimmy and CaptSmith like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

And just ya knows... I load my clips with bullets.

I'm guessing the peep or ghost ring is the way to go. I loved 'em as a kid and I really love them now.
    I played around with some white out tape and it was producing too much glare. From one extreme to another. I guess that's why after market iron sights charge the good money.
    Thanks for the links on the peeps. Off to check them out and get this thing right.

Administrator
    No...but, I will nip the clip comments that are only "It's a magazine...not a clip!" & don't contain anything else applicable or useful to the main topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    So, QK, are you going to clip some wings if it keeps up?
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    No...but, I will nip the clip comments that are only "It's a magazine...not a clip!" & don't contain anything else applicable or useful to the main topic.
    This is actually refreshing. We get too much its not a clip, or get a glock, ar-15s suck type stuff sometimes. Don't want DC turning into one of those other forums ...

I went and ordered that Krebs sight from Midway. I'm sure I'll like it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    I highly recommend the Krebs rear peep (I have them on all of my AKs now) and if you want low light capability, the XS tritium sights are top notch. Also, I strongly recommend you pick up a Krebs enhanced safety lever too, it totally changes the ergonomics of the AK for the better.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links